News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Empire Total War, Again

Started by Faeelin, March 10, 2009, 07:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

I got the demo last night and was playing around with Brandywine.  The graphics are fantastic, but it "felt" kinda clunky to me compared to M:TW2. :o
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

I win most of my battles against Europeans but Native Americans and Pirates are ridiculously overpowered.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 15, 2009, 09:43:19 PM
I win most of my battles against Europeans but Native Americans and Pirates are ridiculously overpowered.

Heavy cavalry solves the pirate problem, I find.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on March 15, 2009, 09:50:48 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 15, 2009, 09:43:19 PM

Heavy cavalry solves the pirate problem, I find.
:o Uh, you mean the Native American problem, right?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Legbiter

So here I am playing as Prussia. What continental power should I go after first?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Legbiter on March 15, 2009, 10:14:26 PM
So here I am playing as Prussia. What continental power should I go after first?

Attack Saxony, their Polish allies will come to their aid and you can gain Saxony and Danzig.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 15, 2009, 10:09:43 PM
:o Uh, you mean the Native American problem, right?

If you can't defeat the pirates with heavy cavalry, you're using your heavy cavalry wrong.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Mr.Penguin

I love 12-Iber Howizers, to see long range indirect expolsive shell rain down on Swedish Line Infantry, its fucking beautifull...

Needless to say, it warms the heart of an old Artillery man like me...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Legbiter

Hmm, the strategic AI looks a bit...dead. They seem to rarely send their SODs against my regional capitals, instead they send ineffectual raiding parties of 2-3 units which get easily chewed up.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

FunkMonk

I think you guys ruined Empire for me.

I got a little too busy with other things to play this game much beyond five or so years in the GC so I put it off for awhile. I read this thread and I can't bring myself to start it up again. Now I just busy myself with running down random pedestrians in GTA IV.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Monoriu

Quote from: Legbiter on March 16, 2009, 04:48:18 PM
Hmm, the strategic AI looks a bit...dead. They seem to rarely send their SODs against my regional capitals, instead they send ineffectual raiding parties of 2-3 units which get easily chewed up.

Yup.  And it doesn't perform well in defence either.  I (Prussia) declared war on Austria.

Turn 1: Attacked and occupied Silesia.  It was a surprise attack so I could understand why I only found a third of a stack there.

Turn 2: Marched on to Prague.  Nothing there.  Not one unit.  Just citizens.  Got it.

Turn 3: Marched to Vienna.  See Battle AAR above.  Then made peace and demanded technology, trade agreement, and cash. 

When I neared Vienna, I saw a full stack there, and another full stack in Pressburg.  What the AI should have done was to march the Vienna stack (or at least the bulk of it) to Prague and the Pressburg stack to Vienna.  Instead it did nothing to react to war with Prussia. 

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Monoriu on March 16, 2009, 07:22:41 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on March 16, 2009, 04:48:18 PM

Yup.  And it doesn't perform well in defence either.  I (Prussia) declared war on Austria.

Turn 1: Attacked and occupied Silesia.  It was a surprise attack so I could understand why I only found a third of a stack there.

Turn 2: Marched on to Prague.  Nothing there.  Not one unit.  Just citizens.  Got it.

Turn 3: Marched to Vienna.  See Battle AAR above.  Then made peace and demanded technology, trade agreement, and cash. 

When I neared Vienna, I saw a full stack there, and another full stack in Pressburg.  What the AI should have done was to march the Vienna stack (or at least the bulk of it) to Prague and the Pressburg stack to Vienna.  Instead it did nothing to react to war with Prussia.

You guys are unlucky or something with the AI in the campaign.  That Portugal game of mine ended a bit prematurely with the Spanish attacking Lisbon with two full stacks while I was almost fully committed to trying (and failing) to keep the Indian hordes from taking Goa.   The first stack broke itself on the defenses, but did enough damage to my guys there so that the second stack ended up winning with heavy losses.  Game over.

Edit:  And now with a game as Spain, I am under attack by Morocco and Louisiana ( ::) ) within 5 years of starting the game.  I sold the annoyingly difficult to defend Italian and Belgian provinces...the Dutch gave me Curacao and some cash for Flanders, the Central Italians became my protectorate for Lombardy and Naples.  I will be "farming" Moroccans and Barbary Pirates for naval experience.  Galleons are cool, btw.  Cool looking at least.

Edit2:  Wait...also the Plains Nations and Cherokee.  Not sure when that happened.  I guess they have an alliance with Louisiana or something (the French didn't bother declaring war on me though).  Morocco just attacked Gibraltar with 2000+ dudes, and the damn Cherokee are laying waste to Florida with a couple holy shit a bunch of armies while my meager little rabble in the area huddles inside their walls.

Ed Anger

I've seen the AI go dead, and I've also seen it forming large stacks and defending choke points like bridges.

It still leaves forts undefended however.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Kleves

There's supposed to be another patch coming pretty soon, isn't there?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.