News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Empire Total War, Again

Started by Faeelin, March 10, 2009, 07:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

My monarch (the Indian chick) has a mistress.  A bit of a turn on.

Playing the Southern Indians is rather fun. Destroyed the Murgals, threw the eggplants into the sea and now are starting to push into Persia after they declared war.

Sikhs rock.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: garbon on March 14, 2009, 03:54:24 PM
Quote from: Cindy Brady on March 14, 2009, 03:18:33 PM
Sikhs rock.

Do you mean Hindus?

Sikh musket units are better than the Hindu ones. Hindu Swordsmen are better than Sikh swordsmen, but once you get past the bayonet that has to be jammed into the barrel, you don't need swordsman units.

Phillip V

I will buy the game in late 2010 or 2011 to play the fancy graphics. The naval battles look cool.

In the meantime, I have ordered RTW Anthology and look forward to playing Europa Barborum.

Octavian

Quote from: Phillip V on March 15, 2009, 01:41:39 AM
I will buy the game in late 2010 or 2011 to play the fancy graphics. The naval battles look cool.

In the meantime, I have ordered RTW Anthology and look forward to playing Europa Barborum.

Are Alexander part of that? If so remember to play EB with the Alexander exe.

I'm currently enjoying a great EB game playing as the Romans.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Octavian

My monarch (the Indian chick) has a mistress.  A bit of a turn on.

Playing the Southern Indians is rather fun. Destroyed the Murgals, threw the eggplants into the sea and now are starting to push into Persia after they declared war.

Sikhs rock.

That's hott...

Anyway as the Habsburgs I invaded Prussia only to be defeated in Lusatia. Now both of us have a full stack army opposing each other but not daring to invade.

Supposedly they will released a new patch next week. I'm probably going to abandon the game until then.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

MadBurgerMaker

threw the eggplants into the sea

Man I'm having a bitch of a time just hanging on as Portugal against Mysore and Maratha (in India, of course..the homeland isn't threatened by those barbarians).  Doesn't seem to matter how many of their armies I slaughter, they just keep zerging waves of brown people to die against my hired brown people (Sepoys), wearing out my troops in the process.  At one point, I conquered Mysore, but was immediately attacked there by two Marathan (?) stacks, lost about a thousand men, had a revolt, and had to withdraw back to Goa.  Mysore ended up reemerging (which is a strange thing to type), and I'm back at war with them.  Goa will soon be under siege from all directions, my armies in the area don't have the time to replenish their numbers, and I don't think the reinforcements will arrive in time.

Fucking insanity, and it's the same thing at sea.  My ships in the area, a 5th rate and two 6th rates, sank around 15 - 20 Marathan (?) brigs and sloops in several waves before finally being taken out by 7 or 8 more (one of the 6th rates survived with heavy damage and withdrew to Portugal to meet with the main battle fleet forming up there).  In one turn!  By the end, that admiral probably had a stack of stars a foot tall.  Too bad he's dead.

I'm almost considering starting a war or something with the Netherlands so I can take their island there and get myself some breathing room to rebuild, and invade from the very southern tip, etc.  India will burn, just not right now.

(This is awesome.  Would recommend Portugal to everyone.)

Phillip V

Quote from: Octavian on March 15, 2009, 04:26:46 AM

Yes.

Ed Anger

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on March 15, 2009, 04:51:03 AM
threw the eggplants into the sea

Man I'm having a bitch of a time just hanging on as Portugal against Mysore and Maratha (in India, of course..the homeland isn't threatened by those barbarians).  Doesn't seem to matter how many of their armies I slaughter, they just keep zerging waves of brown people to die against my hired brown people (Sepoys), wearing out my troops in the process.  At one point, I conquered Mysore, but was immediately attacked there by two Marathan (?) stacks, lost about a thousand men, had a revolt, and had to withdraw back to Goa.  Mysore ended up reemerging (which is a strange thing to type), and I'm back at war with them.  Goa will soon be under siege from all directions, my armies in the area don't have the time to replenish their numbers, and I don't think the reinforcements will arrive in time.

Fucking insanity, and it's the same thing at sea.  My ships in the area, a 5th rate and two 6th rates, sank around 15 - 20 Marathan (?) brigs and sloops in several waves before finally being taken out by 7 or 8 more (one of the 6th rates survived with heavy damage and withdrew to Portugal to meet with the main battle fleet forming up there).  In one turn!  By the end, that admiral probably had a stack of stars a foot tall.  Too bad he's dead.

I'm almost considering starting a war or something with the Netherlands so I can take their island there and get myself some breathing room to rebuild, and invade from the very southern tip, etc.  India will burn, just not right now.

(This is awesome.  Would recommend Portugal to everyone.)

Indian units are cheaper, so that could explain the zerg rush. Or massive AI cheating.

One thing about the indian armies, from personal observation,  is that when the general goes down, they are much shakier than Euro armies. So aim a few 12 pounder batteries at the general on the elephants. Those big targets seem to go down easier.

Josephus

Whenever you conquer a new area, you have to remove the tax or else your newly conquered fools will rebel.

Which defeats the purpose, doesn't it? How soon before I can start taxing them? I don't understand all those little icons in the city view that is supposed to tell me what's causing dissent.

is there any other way to decrease dissent? Do I destroy all the buildings in my newly conquered areas and build "happy places"--brothels  :o

What about strikers? How to deal with them?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Queequeg

Quote from: Octavian on March 15, 2009, 04:26:46 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on March 15, 2009, 01:41:39 AM

I'm considering an Armenia AAR for next week for EB-Alexander.  Should be interesting.

What does India look like, btw?  Would love a screenie.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Queequeg on March 15, 2009, 12:27:41 PM

I'm considering an Armenia AAR for next week for EB-Alexander.  Should be interesting.

What does India look like, btw?  Would love a screenie.

Post unification India (minus Ceylon), Persia taken over mostly:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9476/etw2.jpg

jimmy olsen

Playing the Indians is a pretty easy and fun way to learn the game.  :)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

That and you don't get Gentleman spammed by the AI in India.

Monoriu

The fort defence AI needs a lot of work.  I attacked a city with a star fort.  1 stack vs 1 stack.  My cannons blasted a hole in the wall.  AI put 2 infantry units to block the entrance.  The bulk of the AI force stood on the wall near the opening.  But those 2 units (a) did not fully block the opening, so that my forces could easily slip through and (b) they did nothing while my whole army rushed through - didn't move, didn't shoot.  Asleep.

Then I simply sent a cavalry unit to occupy the circle in the middle of the fort.  I thought that would spur the AI into an all out fight.  Nope.  Didn't happen.  AI started to intercept some of my infantry, but at most 30% of its forces were engaged.  Nothing was done about the lone cavalry unit. 

Reached the time limit, battle was over.  I lost like 100 men.