News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Empire Total War, Again

Started by Faeelin, March 10, 2009, 07:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

Another game breaking bug occurs if you fight battles in mountainous terrain. There's a high chance the enemy army will start in a region of the map that you cannot march to. TWCenter fanboys will tell you this is working as intended. Historically, mountain battles consisted of an hour long staring contest before everyone went home.

syk

The amazon reviews are bitching about steam. I never used it before. Everyone here happy with using steam?

MadBurgerMaker

No fuck Steam.

Edit:  What Fate said.  I did almost explode with uncontrollable rage the first time I installed the game, tried to play, and was told by Steam that it was unavailable and I should wait.  Oh hell no.  (Just needed to restart Steam for whatever reason.)

Fate

Quote from: syk on March 10, 2009, 12:11:56 PM
The amazon reviews are bitching about steam. I never used it before. Everyone here happy with using steam?

Steam is not an issue. The way the game was designed so as to be compatible with steam is an issue. Modding is much more difficult as a result. The traditional text files have been replaced with a wonderful array of hex editors and packing/unpacking tools.

Grey Fox

Steam is awesome when 1.) the game isn't near it's released time 2.) Not patching.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

MadBurgerMaker

Cecil

Patch out yet? Dont wanna go at it on my French game until they fixed the trader issue.

MadBurgerMaker

Yeah Steam DLed it for me earlier.  I don't recall France ever having a problem trading though. 

Cecil

Hmm I thought they were part of the trading post bug. I know the Swedes had it at least. Really made my income go down.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Cecil on March 10, 2009, 05:28:23 PM
Hmm I thought they were part of the trading post bug. I know the Swedes had it at least. Really made my income go down.

I think it was "only" Sweden and Maratha.  Those were the only two the patch notes mentioned, IIRC.

FunkMonk

Can't say I have any complaints yet, but I haven't played nearly as much as I want to. Come this weekend I think I can cast my verdict on this unpatched initial version.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Monoriu

The passive AI happens all the time.  Very often an AI line infantry unit will lean on a wall.  All I need to do is to flank it, attack from the side, and they will just sit there and take the hits. 

Also, what's with the one nation European minors declaring war on me (United Provinces but I had like 10 regions, the majority in Europe) all the time? 

The way pirates is implemented is retarded.  (a) The fleets they spawn are way too powerful and (b) all I need to do is take those 2 Caribbean islands and they vanish.

I hate steam.

Sometimes the battle AI is too aggressive.  I once had a river crossing battle.  I had a full stack and the AI had half that.  The strategic AI dug in and defended the bridge (which is good).  When I initiated battle, the battle AI left their defence works and attacked me across the bridge.

The corrupt save file issue. 

Some CTD.

The infrastructure tab in the regional capitals.  Only roads? 

But having said that there are tons of things that I like in this game.  Sometimes I am pretty impressed by what the AI does, and I thought "hey that's what I would do".  Once I had a battle with the AI, with about equal numbers.  I had a reinforcement unit caming in.  The AI used its whole force to try to crush the lone reinforcement first. 

Monoriu

A patch will be released later today. 

QuoteTags : None
Hi guys,

We will be rolling out the first of a series of updates later today with a variety of fixes for Empire: Total War, including:
Fixed Alt-Tab issue which prevents players from switching away from a full screen window
Fixed text rendering for certain resolutions
Fixed localized font overrun issues.
Fixed a variety of crash and memory leak issues
Fixed a variety of multiplayer client lock
Fixed trade nodes for those nations with resource in home region which caused unprofitable trade theatre routes eg: Sweden and Marathas.
There is a constant support program in process which is using your feedback as well as our own testing. We are currently working on the next update which will be available early next week.

Thanks,

Mark O'Connell

But I have no idea where to download it. 

Monoriu

Oh nevermind.  I just read further down the thread in TWC and someone claims that they use one of those systems where the patch will be downloaded automatically.

Reminds me of EU3.  I searched for hours where to download the patch, only to discover that there is supposed to be a programme to download the patch automatically.  Only, my computer only connects to the internet if I give it manual instructions, so it won't download for me. 

Josephus

Quote from: Monoriu on March 10, 2009, 08:39:20 PM
The passive AI happens all the time.  Very often an AI line infantry unit will lean on a wall.  All I need to do is to flank it, attack from the side, and they will just sit there and take the hits. 

That's pretty much my strategy.  ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011