Main Menu

Empire Total War, Again

Started by Faeelin, March 10, 2009, 07:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Kleves on March 27, 2009, 08:00:24 PM
Quote from: Octavian on March 26, 2009, 04:59:31 PM
XP (hidden folder):
C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Empire\save_games

Vista:
C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\save_games

Thanks. Jeez, what a pain in the ass.

Imagine my confusion when I was looking for the ETW installation folder.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Kleves

Quote from: Syt on March 28, 2009, 01:56:12 AM
Imagine my confusion when I was looking for the ETW installation folder.
That's what I initially looked for too.

How hard is it to install/uninstall that mod?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Syt

Trying to install E:TW on the new machine. However, Steam update has been hanging at 53% for the last half hour. :bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Kleves

At least the new mini-patch seems to have stopped the constant crashes for me.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Josephus

OK. So I'm playing a learning game as the UP.

Everything is pretty easy and I'm doing fine.

Except in the Caribbean. Those pirates are vicious. I can't seem to win a single naval battle against them. (I can never even get the numbers; my fleet sizes seem to cap at a certain point...they are throwing huge numbers against me). And even in the odd instance where I do outnumber them, I still get massacared. I have to play auto naval battles, cause my graphics tend to seize during naval battles.

Are the pirates totally overpowered? I had to laugh when I fought pirates in a land battle, and saw them charging me in line formations.  :lmfao:

And regarding what Kleves just said....No. I'm getting random crashes, that seem to have to do with retreating fleets, or merging fleets. It's a pain, because when it happens, it always happens...I ahve to revert to an old save file, and do different things to avoid it happening. Of course, I am assuming I'm playing with the latest patch.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Quote from: Josephus on March 30, 2009, 07:29:37 PM
Are the pirates totally overpowered? I had to laugh when I fought pirates in a land battle, and saw them charging me in line formations.  :lmfao:

Wait till you see the American Indians doing the same.

They should really have given the less privileged factions a "mob" formation.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Lucidor

Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2009, 12:26:46 AM
Quote from: Josephus on March 30, 2009, 07:29:37 PM

Wait till you see the American Indians doing the same.

:bleeding:

Tell me when they fix this, or mods the game into something more palatable... :D

Eochaid

Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2009, 12:26:46 AMWait till you see the American Indians doing the same.

I did an MA in War Studies and my paper was "The impact of European COlonisation on Algonkia and Iroquoian Warfare: 1534-1782."

Believe me, Native American infantry tactics were, from around 1650/1700 (depending on which nation you're talking about) far more advanced than European tactics were at the time.

No line formatios, but not exactly mobs either.

Kevin
It's been a while

Syt

This screenshot made the upgrade worth it. Max details, rain, trees, 1920x1200 res, and runs wonderfully smooth without stuttering.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Ai campaign turns are also MUCH faster now. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Lucidor

Quote from: Eochaid on March 31, 2009, 06:10:17 AM
Believe me, Native American infantry tactics were, from around 1650/1700 (depending on which nation you're talking about) far more advanced that European tactics were at the time
I read something about that in a blog some time ago:

http://warandgame.wordpress.com/2009/03/11/amerind-and-firearms/

MadImmortalMan

I tried the demo so I could see the improvements to the strategy map. I hoped they had put a real strategy game onto this battle engine game they keep releasing. The demo only lets you play battles.  <_<

So, keeping in mind that I like the warfare era less than that of M2TW, are the strategic improvements worth it enough to bother with this?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Lucidor

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 31, 2009, 11:50:30 PM
So, keeping in mind that I like the warfare era less than that of M2TW, are the strategic improvements worth it enough to bother with this?
If I got it correctly, France is one province and has Marat and Robespierre, hitmen that'll take down Newton for you.

Alatriste

Quote from: Eochaid on March 31, 2009, 06:10:17 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2009, 12:26:46 AMWait till you see the American Indians doing the same.

I did an MA in War Studies and my paper was "The impact of European COlonisation on Algonkia and Iroquoian Warfare: 1534-1782."

Believe me, Native American infantry tactics were, from around 1650/1700 (depending on which nation you're talking about) far more advanced than European tactics were at the time.

No line formatios, but not exactly mobs either.

Kevin

I wouldn't say 'more advanced' but certainly they were far better adapted to the local conditions.

BVN

CA succeeded in breaking stuff with the new patch. I had no problems whatsoever before, but now I don't have any sound when I play the game. The only thing that works, is the animation sounds. Nothing game-breaking, but still:  :rolleyes: