The twenty best war movies, according to the Torygraph

Started by Alatriste, July 27, 2009, 07:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 30, 2009, 02:45:50 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 30, 2009, 02:03:10 PM
How about we make a list of war movies and then vote from that list? There is no silver bullet here, we're gonna have to do it the hard way.
What's the point in having a preliminary vetting stage?  As things stand right now, if you think Schindler is not a war movie, you should vote for Glory, since we are voting on membership in the Languish top 20 war movies of all time.

One could argue that people who vote for Schindler are voting for an illegitimate choice, but if you want to have a discussion on which movies are war movies first you are just moving that debate to a different forum.  Unless you want to cede authority on that question to Grand Ayatollah Berkut and his Guardian Council.

And it's all monumentally academic.  Glory is leading Schindler 5-1 by my count.

No we should make a list of all war movies.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

The problem with Glory is that it was mistitled.

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Darth Wagtaros

Surprised nobody has suggested Babylong Five: In the Beginning.
PDH!

Siege

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 30, 2009, 08:32:10 PM

War movies have to be based on something historical, right?

Otherwise they would be sci-fi, like Independence Day, Starship Troopers, etc.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

dps

Quote from: grumbler on July 30, 2009, 03:40:42 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 30, 2009, 03:30:16 PM
I nominate Gallipoli over Good Morning, Vietnam.
Not sure Gallipoli will stay on the list (too drawn-out at the start) but sure that GMV doesn't belong, so +1 for Gallipoli.

Agree.  Vote for Gallipoli.

Darth Wagtaros

Red Dawn wasn't based on anything historical.  Except Cold War propaganda, and Patrick Swazemeister as a teenaged commando is certainly not related to anything 'real'.
Quote from: Siege on July 30, 2009, 08:45:46 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 30, 2009, 08:32:10 PM

War movies have to be based on something historical, right?

Otherwise they would be sci-fi, like Independence Day, Starship Troopers, etc.

PDH!

ulmont

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 30, 2009, 08:49:23 PM
Red Dawn wasn't based on anything historical.  Except Cold War propaganda, and Patrick Swazemeister as a teenaged commando is certainly not related to anything 'real'.[

Wolverine!!!11!

Siege

Alternate history of a real historical conflict stil counts as a war movie.

The moment you introduce typical sci-fi elements (aliens, zombies, time-machines, the future, etc.) is not longer a war movie, but a sci-fi flick.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Siege on July 30, 2009, 08:58:47 PM
Alternate history of a real historical conflict stil counts as a war movie.

The moment you introduce typical sci-fi elements (aliens, zombies, time-machines, the future, etc.) is not longer a war movie, but a sci-fi flick.
Got to agree with Siege here.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Tim has murdered sleep. Tim shall sleep no more.
PDH!

Habsburg

Quote from: The Brain on July 27, 2009, 09:08:58 AM
I must see Pearl Harbor.

Big Gobbler, awful.

Tora, Tora, Tora is MUCH better. 

List is a total fail.
No Battle of Algiers?
Gallipoli?
Breaker Morant?
Army of Shadows?
Au revoir les enfants?