The twenty best war movies, according to the Torygraph

Started by Alatriste, July 27, 2009, 07:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on July 27, 2009, 01:29:43 PM
Quote from: saskganesh on July 27, 2009, 01:28:57 PM
Germans should make more war films (as opposed to, you know, making actual war):)

They should do more of that to and send soldiers to help with NATO operations...

then make movies about those operations.

According to our media, Bundeswehr recently took part in a "major offensive" (Großoffensive) of 300 Germans and 800 Afghans against Taliban near Kundus, involving "heavy equipment", i.e. mortars and Marder APCs.  :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

Quote from: Syt on July 27, 2009, 01:15:57 PM
Quote from: saskganesh on July 27, 2009, 12:58:13 PM
... no love for Bridge over Remagen. :sad:

None for Stalingrad or its 1950s predecessor "Hunde, wollt Ihr ewig leben" (literally: Dogs, do you want to live forever), either.

My favourite kraut quote, Big Freddy did some things with style. 

Ed Anger

Quote from: saskganesh on July 27, 2009, 01:35:44 PM
I'd like to see some Afghan War movies. It would be fascinating.

Try The Beast. Mediocre, but it involves russians.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 27, 2009, 12:55:16 PMWas there any actual combat in Schindler's List?

For the truly discriminating Nazi fanboi, nothing beats the cleansing of the Ghetto.

CountDeMoney

Josephus

Quote from: The Brain on July 27, 2009, 01:40:25 PM
Stalingrad wasn't good.

That's probably a blasphemous thing to say on this grognard list. That said I agree with you. I was really looking forward to it. But in the end, it just didn't seem to do it for me. I vaguely remember a long confusing scene of a bunch of guys walking around in the snow.

Enemy at the Gates was even better.

But that all said: Schindler's List? Since when is that a war movie? REally. It's a movie that takes place in the war, but I wouldn't classify it as a war movie.

Discuss.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josephus on July 27, 2009, 05:30:48 PM
But that all said: Schindler's List? Since when is that a war movie? REally. It's a movie that takes place in the war, but I wouldn't classify it as a war movie.
Discuss.

As I mentioned about, for the discriminating Nazi fanboi or typical anti-semitic European, the Ghetto scenes are ab-fab whacking material.

Definitely more of a war movie than Good Morning, Vietnam.  WTF?

Razgovory

Didn't like Stalingrad either.  Germans were to emo.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Where's my Thin Red LineThe Admiral, but no Yamato?
The Torygraph is smoking its socks.  Pearl fucking Harbor?  What, war movies = fiction to them?

crazy canuck

No Bridge too far, Enemy at the Gates and Das Boot.

This is no list

Razgovory

I liked Paths of Glory was an interesting war movie I thought.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josephus on July 27, 2009, 05:30:48 PM

Discuss.

Yeah seriously. If Schindler's List belongs on the list, Casablanca should top it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 27, 2009, 05:35:38 PM
No Bridge too far, Enemy at the Gates and Das Boot.

This is no list

Fuck that Enemy at the Gates bullshit.  Crap movie.