The twenty best war movies, according to the Torygraph

Started by Alatriste, July 27, 2009, 07:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on July 27, 2009, 12:43:18 PM
Any list with Pearl Harbour on it is by default wrong.

Worst acted big budget films of all time?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Pearl Harbor did have good modern destroyers in it.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Pearl Harbor wasn't all that bad. Perhaps too chick-friendly to be considered a war film, but :mellow:

Was there any actual combat in Schindler's List?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

saskganesh

Good Morning, Vietnam (1987) is not very good. that movie is wallpaper around some good Williams' rants.

... no love for Bridge over Remagen. :sad:
humans were created in their own image

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 27, 2009, 12:55:16 PM
Pearl Harbor wasn't all that bad. Perhaps too chick-friendly to be considered a war film, but :mellow:

:mellow: It was not the chick-friendliness that made it a mediocre film.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on July 27, 2009, 01:01:53 PM

:mellow: It was not the chick-friendliness that made it a mediocre film.

Sure, it's mediocre and doesn't belong on the list. It still wasn't as bad as several of the posts were making it out.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: saskganesh on July 27, 2009, 12:58:13 PM

None for Stalingrad or its 1950s predecessor "Hunde, wollt Ihr ewig leben" (literally: Dogs, do you want to live forever), either.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DisturbedPervert

Valmy

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on July 27, 2009, 01:22:47 PM
Did war not exist before the Zulu Wars?

You couldn't make as big of explosions back then and that is what the Telegraph loves most about war films.

saskganesh

Quote from: Syt on July 27, 2009, 01:15:57 PM
Quote from: saskganesh on July 27, 2009, 12:58:13 PM

None for Stalingrad or its 1950s predecessor "Hunde, wollt Ihr ewig leben" (literally: Dogs, do you want to live forever), either.

I really liked Stalingrad. and Downfall. and Die Bruke.

Germans should make more war films (as opposed to, you know, making actual war):)

Valmy

Quote from: saskganesh on July 27, 2009, 01:28:57 PM
Germans should make more war films (as opposed to, you know, making actual war):)

They should do more of that to and send soldiers to help with NATO operations...

then make movies about those operations.

saskganesh

I'd like to see some Afghan War movies. It would be fascinating.

Iormlund

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Pearl Harbor wasn't all that bad.

The ending credits were easy to read.

And a relief to get to.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson