News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I, Queequeg, rewatch I, Claudius

Started by Queequeg, July 25, 2009, 06:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

i haven't watched this since i was little. they used to run the it once in a while on tv (CBC for the canucks)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Richard Hakluyt

Yeah, we can think of him as our Super soaraway Suetonius, the Sun newspaper of classical historians  :D

A very entertaining read. Also, even when he is OTT or dubious, I bet these stories were being told and believed by the Roman citizenry.

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on July 27, 2009, 06:30:53 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 27, 2009, 08:21:39 AM
I particularly liked Sejanus - though it is hard not to think of the actor as Captain Picard.  :lol:
For a long time, I had the opposite problem!  :lol:

Picard: Sign it.
Data: What is it?
Picard: A confession.
Data: To what?
Picard: Your conspiracy with Geordi to subvert the computer systems. Sign it.

:lmfao:

"Now, we'll start again."
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: grumbler on July 27, 2009, 06:30:53 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 27, 2009, 08:21:39 AM
I particularly liked Sejanus - though it is hard not to think of the actor as Captain Picard.  :lol:
For a long time, I had the opposite problem!  :lol:

Picard: Sign it.
Data: What is it?
Picard: A confession.
Data: To what?
Picard: Your conspiracy with Geordi to subvert the computer systems. Sign it.

He has too much hair to really make the connection...  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on July 27, 2009, 04:59:59 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 27, 2009, 09:00:52 AM
It's not *that* absurd - it is basically an elaboration on the anti-Livian gossip in Tacitus.
And mortality was common in the Ancient World,

I may be mistaken Spellus, but I think mortality is still a common affliction. :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on July 27, 2009, 09:05:53 PM
Generally if an Emperor was remembered as being a tyrant, ancient people generally just lumped shitloads of character assasination on him endlessly just to underline the fact that this guy was a really really bad guy.

So in the memory he would go from being merely petty, cruel, and inneffectual to a sexually depraved combination of Skeletor and Megatron.

So true.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

No reason to believe Tacitus to the letter. 

Of couse not.  His Livia accusations are mere gossip at best.  The point is that a fictionalized dramatic teleplay is perfectly justified in borrowing from a legitimate ancient source and playing up the soap opery aspects of that account.

QuoteI'm starting to wonder how much of the sexual "history" of both the Romans and Byzantines is bullshit. 

I assume you don't take the Anecdota at fair value.
Remember much of ancient writings that we now call "histories" could be better termed using modern usage as propaganda or diatribe.  There wasn't any kind of professional sense of strict accuracy or neutrality.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 28, 2009, 12:19:54 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 27, 2009, 09:00:52 AM
It's not *that* absurd - it is basically an elaboration on the anti-Livian gossip in Tacitus.
And mortality was common in the Ancient World,

I may be mistaken Spellus, but I think mortality is still a common affliction. :unsure:

:lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

@ JR :yes:

Alot of people in my college courses had trouble coming to grips with that fact... that is, until they read Herodotus. :blink:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Alatriste

Quote from: Caliga on July 28, 2009, 01:01:44 PM
@ JR :yes:

Alot of people in my college courses had trouble coming to grips with that fact... that is, until they read Herodotus. :blink:

Come on. How can you doubt that Indians get hoards of gold robbing it from the nests of super-swift giant desert ants and make good their escape using pre-set relays of camels?