News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I, Queequeg, rewatch I, Claudius

Started by Queequeg, July 25, 2009, 06:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

I think it is terrific, "stagey" and all.  Like the stage, though, you have to be willing to suspend disbelief.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 26, 2009, 03:22:09 AM
The programme has a theatrical quality, which seemed natural at the time but now seems too stagey.
Nevertheless, a very fine series.
Well it is a play.  Almost all the action takes place away from the 3-4 sets and the acting can be a bit hammy (Brian Blessed :o).  But I think the writing and the fun of it more than makes up for that. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Brian Blessed is good at bellowing, though. :P

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on July 26, 2009, 01:11:34 PM

And attacking Ming's cruisers.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 26, 2009, 09:57:46 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 26, 2009, 03:22:09 AM
The programme has a theatrical quality, which seemed natural at the time but now seems too stagey.
Nevertheless, a very fine series.
Well it is a play.  Almost all the action takes place away from the 3-4 sets and the acting can be a bit hammy (Brian Blessed :o).  But I think the writing and the fun of it more than makes up for that.

Just so. I recently watched it again about 3 years back, found myself getting peeved about the production quality and whatnot, reminded myself to treat it as a play.....and then thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on July 26, 2009, 01:11:34 PM
IS THERE ANYONE IN ROME NOT SLEEPING WITH MY DAUGHTER?

WHERE ARE MY EAGLES? :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

I could understand Augustus being fantastically upset and, in all probability, bellowing a bit at those moments.  I just don't understand how they could paint him as incompetent though.  He brought stability to an overstretched Empire that had spent over half a century tearing at its own flesh and, in so doing, completely reshaped Western Europe and the rest of human history.  The portrayal of him as buffoonish is fantastically silly.

That said, John Hurt's Caligula more than makes up for it.  That man is a motherfuckign genius.  I think of few other actors who could so totally outshine Derek Jacobi and Jonathan Rhys-Davies. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

saskganesh

Quote from: Syt on July 26, 2009, 03:20:03 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 26, 2009, 03:08:55 AM
at that time, the height of American TV drama was "I Love Lucy".

I, Claudius, aired in 1976 on the BBC. Gierek and Jaroszewicz ruled in Poland (where 07 zgłoś się premiered the same year) and the following TV shows premiered in the U.S.:
Charlie's Angels, The Muppet Show, Quincy M.E., The Bionic Woman, The Gong Show, Family Feud, Jabberjaw and Scooby Doo. How's that for quality entertainment?

More importantly, I was also born in that year.

1976? big budget Roots (1977) would be a better comparison.
humans were created in their own image

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on July 26, 2009, 08:25:20 PM
I could understand Augustus being fantastically upset and, in all probability, bellowing a bit at those moments.  I just don't understand how they could paint him as incompetent though.  He brought stability to an overstretched Empire that had spent over half a century tearing at its own flesh and, in so doing, completely reshaped Western Europe and the rest of human history.  The portrayal of him as buffoonish is fantastically silly.
Graves was a Suetonius fan.  I think what intrigued him was that Augustus did all of that but couldn't control his own family.  Though Blessed is a bit over the top.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, the tragedy for Augustus the man is that this powerful and talented politician can't control his own family. These are different areas of human endeavour, I don't think it's fundamentally ridiculous that Augustus could be both.

Saying that Blessed's performance is a bit OTT is like saying the Pope is a catholic of course  :D

Graves used to get very annoyed when people said he'd just sat down and read Suetonius and then written I, Claudius btw. He said that he had read or consulted 50 different sources. I'd still say that even so Suetonius is his guiding light.

Martinus

Quote from: Queequeg on July 26, 2009, 08:25:20 PM

Wouldn't that be Robert Graves doing that and not "them" (whoever "they" are)?

Martinus

Anyway, it's an artist's vision/fictionalized historical drama, not a historical documentary. It's like complaining about "Lion in Winter"'s Richard being gay, because there are no conclusive sources to confirm that.

Not sure if an autistic antisocial history-obsessed nerd can get it, though.

The Brain

We know next to nothing about the personalities involved. Let the stories soar.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: saskganesh on July 26, 2009, 08:40:06 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 26, 2009, 03:20:03 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 26, 2009, 03:08:55 AM
at that time, the height of American TV drama was "I Love Lucy".

I, Claudius, aired in 1976 on the BBC. Gierek and Jaroszewicz ruled in Poland (where 07 zgłoś się premiered the same year) and the following TV shows premiered in the U.S.:
Charlie's Angels, The Muppet Show, Quincy M.E., The Bionic Woman, The Gong Show, Family Feud, Jabberjaw and Scooby Doo. How's that for quality entertainment?

More importantly, I was also born in that year.

1976? big budget Roots (1977) would be a better comparison.

Unfortunately, Star Wars and Close Encounters of the Third Kind spoiled everybody at the theaters.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on July 27, 2009, 02:18:04 AM
Wouldn't that be Robert Graves doing that and not "them" (whoever "they" are)?
Not really.  Graves's portrait of Augustus is a bit more positive.  A play by necessity is much less nuanced.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!