News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Young People and Politics

Started by Jacob, May 29, 2024, 03:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Quote from: Tamas on June 22, 2024, 07:26:29 AMIt means that if a similar religion to Islam had its practitioners in similar numbers, except from members of the majority ethnicity, there would be more open discussion around potential risks of its further spread and how that could undermine basing secular values which are foundational to our political system but are against the religion's teachings.
I think it comes down to what is a threat at the moment.  At least in the US there is no chance of Islam achieving any significant power, particularly compared to Christianity which for instance just recently has gotten the 10 Commandments to be required in all schools in Louisiana.  If something similar to that but related to Islam showed up, sure that would have to be dealt with.

Quote from: Tamas on June 22, 2024, 07:26:29 AMSure, I just feel like that should cut both ways and right now it doesn't, not in non-right wing public discourse. If female sex-ed members of the human race feel like they need safe spaces from male-sexed members of the human race (regardless of their societal gender), then male-sexed members of the human race should not be shouting the female-sexed members of the human race down saying they are intolerant.

If people need safe spaces they should have them, but I would push back against that accommodation if it would require marginalizing or persecuting other people.  Particularly if those people have historically been marginalized or persecuted in the past.

Tamas

QuoteI think it comes down to what is a threat at the moment.  At least in the US there is no chance of Islam achieving any significant power, particularly compared to Christianity which for instance just recently has gotten the 10 Commandments to be required in all schools in Louisiana.  If something similar to that but related to Islam showed up, sure that would have to be dealt with.

I am definitely talking about Europe, from what I know I would also rate the Islamist risk to US as zero. From what little I know it seems to me like there has been no economics-motivated mass migration of Muslims to there (not to mention that despite what the far-righters cry about, I'd consider a lot of that migration as internal - you don't get to have an Empire and then say people from it have no business being there).

QuoteIf people need safe spaces they should have them, but I would push back against that accommodation if it would require marginalizing or persecuting other people.  Particularly if those people have historically been marginalized or persecuted in the past.

Sure but where do you draw the line? If a group of females (using that term to make it clear I am talking about sex and not gender) do not wish to accept into their mist males (even those who have changed gender) either because of their personal or community history with males (such as shelters) or simply because they feel it introduces the kind of male domination they are looking to get away from in the first place (sports) then why would their concern be marginalised and dismissed because a sub-group of males feel marginalised by that very (call it anti- or counter-male) protective policy? I hope I am making sense.

Jacob

My (possibly imperfect) understanding of the development is that the part of "we're the party of women's rights" that resonates with women voters in large numbers is the one framed as opposing Islamic social values, not the part building on trans panic.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on June 22, 2024, 10:26:13 AMSure but where do you draw the line? If a group of females (using that term to make it clear I am talking about sex and not gender) do not wish to accept into their mist males (even those who have changed gender) either because of their personal or community history with males (such as shelters) or simply because they feel it introduces the kind of male domination they are looking to get away from in the first place (sports) then why would their concern be marginalised and dismissed because a sub-group of males feel marginalised by that very (call it anti- or counter-male) protective policy? I hope I am making sense.

The question of drawing the line is the key, as you say.  Who gets to say what group is excluded because their inclusion would trigger someone else?  Should a Hispanic woman, let's say, be able to demand that no black women be allowed in the shelter where she is because she has had very traumatic experiences with black women in the past?  At what point do the accommodations become unreasonable?  Should the decisions about the reasonableness of an accommodation (say, to exclude trans women from all Olympic sports as an accommodation for cis women) be based on politics?  Traditional values?  Science?  Some combination?

There's no good clear answer, and lots and lots of bad clear answers.  We can settle for bad clear answers or good unclear answers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

What reveals them to be utter scumbags in my book is how very absolute their hate is.

If they stuck to complaining against gender self definition and those crazies who want a situation where any guy can one day fill in a simple form then bam, he's legally a woman and can go perving in the women's changing room and nobody can do anything, then this would be fine.

As it is though they want a complete nuclear ban on anyone who didn't have the female form ticked for them at birth from ever getting treat as a woman.

This just seems really fucking insane to me. I'm sure being abused by a man will do a number on their psyche. But to then lash out as a tiny minority of women due to this? Pff.

Common sense needs to be applied. Someone who has been a woman for 30 years and has gone through a myriad of treatments to shift their sex heavily towards the modal female clearly deserves to be treat as a woman in the way some dude who throws on a dress one day and declares he's now called Sharon clearly doesn't.

I seriously have trouble even grasping what gets them so loopy over this stuff. Is their hate for men really so immense?

Where exactly to draw the line is a valid discussion. But it clearly doesn't lie with either extreme of anyone gender switching on demand or nobody ever been allowed to change no matter what.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

Quote from: grumbler on June 22, 2024, 11:53:00 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 22, 2024, 10:26:13 AMSure but where do you draw the line? If a group of females (using that term to make it clear I am talking about sex and not gender) do not wish to accept into their mist males (even those who have changed gender) either because of their personal or community history with males (such as shelters) or simply because they feel it introduces the kind of male domination they are looking to get away from in the first place (sports) then why would their concern be marginalised and dismissed because a sub-group of males feel marginalised by that very (call it anti- or counter-male) protective policy? I hope I am making sense.

The question of drawing the line is the key, as you say.  Who gets to say what group is excluded because their inclusion would trigger someone else?  Should a Hispanic woman, let's say, be able to demand that no black women be allowed in the shelter where she is because she has had very traumatic experiences with black women in the past?  At what point do the accommodations become unreasonable?  Should the decisions about the reasonableness of an accommodation (say, to exclude trans women from all Olympic sports as an accommodation for cis women) be based on politics?  Traditional values?  Science?  Some combination?

There's no good clear answer, and lots and lots of bad clear answers.  We can settle for bad clear answers or good unclear answers.

Very good post.

Sheilbh

Can't claim the credit for this - but possibly tied to the lure of the real theory.

Are the far-right the only group in politics with a sense of confidence and self-assurance - and, in a way, a theory of change?

Looking at the US where there seems like real despair after the combination of the debate and the courts effectively ending the administrative state's power. Between them those three pillars seem to have been the liberal theory of change for a long time. The squishy left basically only operate through influence on that project and the hard left don't exist. It's not exactly the same but I think there are similarities in Europe.

There's an ambiguity of a movement that has a cataclysmic streak (American carnage, Europe in danger, great replacement etc), also possessing a belief that those cataclysms can be changed - and by politics.

I know it's my answer to everything but I feel like we maybe need more politics - for change to be contested politically and democratically, with a retreat from the rights-based (judicial) or regulatory (administrative) theories of progress (which have, in any event, always been a defensive crouch). What's needed is politics, above all else, in the real not the virtual world.

As grim as it is, from Syt's post the far right in the US know what they want to achieve and an idea of how to do it. I'd argue the same for Meloni, Le Pen etc. I'm not sure either liberals or the left really have either.

Edit: It's perhaps also why liberalism and the left - great historic forces of revolutionary change - have ended up mainly talking about respecting institutions and the "rule of law". Again might not identify as a small c conservative establishment, but politics that are not a million miles away from one.
Let's bomb Russia!