News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Malta

Started by Darth Wagtaros, February 12, 2024, 08:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

We are going to Malta (via Turkish Air) in April.  Any sites recommended?
PDH!

Maladict

Apart from all the obvious highlights, I thought the Hal Millieri chapel was an off-the-beaten-path gem.
You may have to call ahead to make an appointment.

Sheilbh

It's definitely worth a little trip to Gozo.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 12, 2024, 11:14:00 AMIt's definitely worth a little trip to Gozo.

Yes! And eat here, a bit in the middle of nowhere but worth it and you can take a cab back.

https://www.brookiesgozo.com/
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

That menu is wonderful.  The big problem for me is I would need to spend many hours there  :)

Josephus

The cathedral in Valletta. The war museum. The old knights capital Mdina. The Sliema waterfront.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

Quote from: Caliga on February 12, 2024, 06:59:27 PMPopeye's Village :showoff:
One of the most WTF tourist attractions ever.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josquius on February 14, 2024, 10:17:34 AM

A good match for the movie that was shot there.  :P

They even shot an Ator / Iron Warrior movie as well, so the sets would not go to waste.  :lol:

PDH

Go see that falcon.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

HVC

Quote from: PDH on February 14, 2024, 10:51:07 AMGo see that falcon.
and if you can't find it there's a puppy.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 14, 2024, 10:48:00 AM
Quote from: Josquius on February 14, 2024, 10:17:34 AM

A good match for the movie that was shot there.  :P

They even shot an Ator / Iron Warrior movie as well, so the sets would not go to waste.  :lol:

WTF - that was such a bad movie.

It's not like how I can understand why the Hobbit village in New Zealand is a popular tourist destination.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Darth Wagtaros

Loved Popeye as a kid though.

Not quite certain I want to pay to see the remains of the set though.
PDH!

Barrister

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 14, 2024, 03:53:50 PMLoved Popeye as a kid though.

Not quite certain I want to pay to see the remains of the set though.

I saw Popeye at the theatre - so I must have been 5 or so.

At the end of the movie the villain (Bluto, right?) is swimming away.  He's wearing like a yellow rain coat or something.

5 year old me was "why did he suddenly change clothes?".  I think it was explained to me that it was because he had turned "yellow" - that is he was afraid.

5 year old me thought that was stupid.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

I've been to Malta quite a few times since the Popeye movie and have never stepped foot anywhere near the set  :D

If you go to the War Museum in Valletta like I said, if you walk up to the open air roof, from there you get a really good view. The museum is in an old fort where the Knights held out against the Turks. Across from the fort you can see where the prison for the movie Midnight Express was filmed.

They recently finished filming Gladiator Two there and opened up the set to the public, but I believe that was a temporary thing.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011