News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Have you ever been offered a bribe?

Started by Admiral Yi, December 28, 2023, 08:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Other night late a dude offered me $200 to squeeze him into the karaoke rotation.  Plenty of times people have flashed me a $20 and asked if this buys them the next spot.  This time I had to think about it.  Eventually said no.

Ever been in this situation?

Sheilbh

:lol:

No. Never been in a position to be offered or offer a bribe.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zoupa

DGuller

I could never manage to get myself into a position to be offered one.

Sophie Scholl

Many, many times during my years in the bar industry. Even a few times in the tour industry.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

grumbler

MY LSE prof tried to bribe me (money, not grades) to buy him a couple of bottles of The Famous Grouse at the Navy Exchange in London.  I turned him down, but bought a bottle and gave it to him when the course was over.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Never offered a straight up bribe.

Frequently have to worry about the appearance of impropriety however.  I'll let defence counsel buy me a coffee, but nothing more than that.

One time when I worked in small-town Alberta my brother came to visit.  We were young, so we walked over to the local hotel for drinks (I lived out of town, so this was probably a 3km hike).  This was a town of a couple hundred people, tops.  Anyways we walk in, we get offered a beer on the house (my brother and I had had a few already, which is why we walked).  We happily accept.  We then get offered some shots I think, again on the house.  I immediately sober up - 'no thanks, we have to go'.  I'm pretty identifiable in that small town, I can't have anyone thinking I owe them.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Not that I know of.
But I'm very good at missing out on not very subtle queues and only many years later go "they wanted a threesome! Doh!"

I guess there was the time a software sales company offered free headphones for listening to their sales guy so I did it, the sales guy had nothing interesting to offer (and I wasn't the only decision maker even if they had) and I got no earphones. :(
██████
██████
██████

Iormlund

Never a straight up bribe, no.

I've been taken out to dinner and such by suppliers, which some could consider a form of bribe. But in practice building a rapport with them is part of the job, really.

celedhring

Yes, but more of the "I'll buy you lunch if you do XXXX for me" variety, rather than straight cash. I'm a nobody myself but I know people in the business that are somebodies, so people sometimes will try to get access through me.

It makes me very uncomfortable and I always refuse, unless the person trying to meet my friends has something that might actually interest them (which has happened a couple times).

PDH

I taught freshmen history off and on for 20 years.  Yeah, I have all sorts of things offered to me if I were to see fit to re-evaluate a grade.

I am too boring to ever take one.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tonitrus

Quote from: PDH on December 29, 2023, 04:06:41 PMI taught freshmen history off and on for 20 years.  Yeah, I have all sorts of things offered to me if I were to see fit to re-evaluate a grade.

I am too boring to ever take one.

When entering the field of academia(albeit a slightly abnormal sphere of it), I was worried this might happen to me.  Glad to find it hasn't so far.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on December 29, 2023, 12:01:11 AMMY LSE prof tried to bribe me (money, not grades) to buy him a couple of bottles of The Famous Grouse at the Navy Exchange in London.  I turned him down, but bought a bottle and gave it to him when the course was over.

That's a great story

Gups

Quote from: grumbler on December 29, 2023, 12:01:11 AMMY LSE prof tried to bribe me (money, not grades) to buy him a couple of bottles of The Famous Grouse at the Navy Exchange in London.  I turned him down, but bought a bottle and gave it to him when the course was over.

Don't understand. Why couldn't he pop down to his local corner shop to buy it?