News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dead Pool 2024

Started by Josephus, December 26, 2023, 09:53:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on February 02, 2024, 03:44:44 PMRIP Carl Weathers, you will always be my favorite acting coach.   :(

RIP :(

Maladict

Caliga

Quote from: Savonarola on February 02, 2024, 03:44:44 PMRIP Carl Weathers, you will always be my favorite acting coach.   :(
Dillon you SON OF A BITCH!  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Toby Keith, stomach cancer, age 62.

I've never been much of a country music guy, but early 2000s Keith was huge, and I kind of liked his stuff - to the point I even had a CD or two.  Looking back he was kind of more in that bro-ish dude country, with songs like Should've Been a Cowboy, How Do You Like Me Now, Red Solo Cup, Beer for my Horses, and I Love This Bar.

RIP, I'll pour out a Red Solo Cup for ya dude.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maladict

Ian Lavender, last survivor of Dad's Army.

Maladict

RIP Alexei Navalny.

More courage than I'll ever have.

Josephus

Quote from: Maladict on February 16, 2024, 06:40:42 AMRIP Alexei Navalny.

More courage than I'll ever have.

Inevitable, unfortunately  :(
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Surprised they kept him around so long. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on February 16, 2024, 06:58:30 AMSurprised they kept him around so long. :(
I think he surprised them - I mean when did he get given Novichok?
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

It's easy to judge from the outside, but returning to Russia after being poisoned just seemed like an excess of courage to me even at the time.  Clearly the government is no longer concerned with the blowback from your death, you yourself just tricked FSB into describing the operation to poison you, what is to be gained from walking into the execution chamber and putting your head into the noose?

Jacob

His actions seem consistent with someone desiring a martyr's death.

Sheilbh

Yeah. It is very brave but I think that is also the moral force, satyagraha piece of non-violent resistance. It is precisely that you put your body and your life on the line fully knowing the risks - but you still take the stance.

For him it was opposition and above all that he was wanting to change Russia. If he left he's just another anarchist chilling in London/blowing up Greenwich, or White Russian in Paris, or oligarch in London. I don't know, but I feel that it's precisely by knowing he'll probably be killed and going ahead that he hopes he could make change.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on February 16, 2024, 10:52:16 AMHis actions seem consistent with someone desiring a martyr's death.
It's definitely a possibility, but I don't think it's the only one.  Another possibility was that he just miscalculated how important he was, or rather how important he still was. I think it would be entirely in character for him to assume that the Russian government was now the most interested bodyguard of his; after all, they tried to off him quietly with poison designed to make your death look natural, surely that means that now they don't want you to die by any means lest people start wondering?

I think that he also failed predict how much more brazen the Russian government would get since his imprisonment.  Since the start of the war in Ukraine, the Russian government almost completely unmasked itself and doesn't even both with appearances for the most part.  It's now publicly a lawless mafia state, with a very strong boss of bosses less accountable to other bosses than he ever was.  At this stage, "it'll look bad to have him whacked" thinking doesn't apply.

Barrister

I doubt very much it was direct murder of Navalny at this time.  Right in the lead-up to the Presidential elections is a slightly more sensitive time.

Now I have no problem holding Puting responsible for Navalny's death - but it was more a matter of putting a once-poisoned man into a brutal Russian prison system and not looking after his medical needs.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.