News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dead Pool 2024

Started by Josephus, December 26, 2023, 09:53:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Maladict

Zanza

Quote from: Maladict on January 08, 2024, 11:32:50 AMRIP Franz Beckenbauer
Great footballer, great coach, corrupt official...

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on January 08, 2024, 12:42:49 PM

RIP indeed. Though "corrupt official" in the context of organized football seems redundant. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

I started to get into soccer at the time of the 1974 World Cup, so Beckenbauer is one of the first soccer greats I remember. Him and Johann Cryuff.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on January 09, 2024, 01:26:01 AM
Quote from: Zanza on January 08, 2024, 12:42:49 PM

RIP indeed. Though "corrupt official" in the context of organized football seems redundant. :P

I also remember him as one of the first instances of strong Bavarian accent when I started German.  :P

Maladict

Quote from: Josephus on January 09, 2024, 09:26:22 AMI started to get into soccer at the time of the 1974 World Cup, so Beckenbauer is one of the first soccer greats I remember. Him and Johann Cryuff.

He's just before my time so I don't hate him like the 80s German players.

Syt

I didn't watch him play (born in '76), but I recall his time leading the German squad after the Euro '84 debacle. His title was officially "Teamchef" instead of "Trainer" because he didn't have a coaching license.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on January 09, 2024, 10:48:06 AMI didn't watch him play (born in '76), but I recall his time leading the German squad after the Euro '84 debacle. His title was officially "Teamchef" instead of "Trainer" because he didn't have a coaching license.
Did he cook for the team?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Savonarola

RIP Melanie (singer-songwriter, best known for Roller Skate and Look What they Done to My Songs, Ma.)  I think "Candles in the Rain" was the best song about Woodstock by someone who was actually there.  (Joni Mitchell's "Woodstock" is a better song, but Joni never left her hotel.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

Quote from: Savonarola on January 25, 2024, 05:50:54 PMRIP Melanie (singer-songwriter, best known for Roller Skate and Look What they Done to My Songs, Ma.)  I think "Candles in the Rain" was the best song about Woodstock by someone who was actually there.  (Joni Mitchell's "Woodstock" is a better song, but Joni never left her hotel.)

"We were so close there was no room
We bled inside each other's wounds
We all had caught the same disease
And we all sang the songs of peace

So raise the candles high
'Cause if you don't we could stay black against the night
Oh, raise them higher again
And if you do we could stay dry against the rain"
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Couple of days ago Frank Farian died, aged 82.

He's mostly known as the producer of 70s group Boney M, 90s dancepop group La Bouche and, infamously, Milli Vanilli.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on January 27, 2024, 07:17:51 AMCouple of days ago Frank Farian died, aged 82.

He's mostly known as the producer of 70s group Boney M, 90s dancepop group La Bouche and, infamously, Milli Vanilli.

Speaking of which, I like this cover a lot:

Savonarola

RIP Carl Weathers, you will always be my favorite acting coach.   :(

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!