News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Christmas Trains

Started by Sheilbh, December 25, 2023, 05:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are the trains running on Christmas Day?

Yes (Euro)
9 (60%)
Yes (North American)
4 (26.7%)
Yes (ROTW)
1 (6.7%)
No (Euro)
1 (6.7%)
No (North American)
0 (0%)
No (ROTW)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Sheilbh

Prompted by this tweet from someone on holiday for Christmas (who used to live in France). Belgian trains running too:
QuoteTom Forth
@thomasforth
Not surprised by the Dutch running trains on Christmas Day. But the French?! I'd have assumed it was triple pay, no trains, and a free lobster dinner for all the staff. But instead no,... train people at work.

So - had me wondering, are the trains running in your country?

Everything is closed in the UK (and Ireland) for Christmas and Boxing Day.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

In Switzerland yes of course. They're not some fancy luxury for once in a lifetime trips to 50 miles away as in the UK. They're public transport. Would be rubbish if on Christmas of all days people couldn't visit others.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

I have a vague recollection of DC metro running on Christmas.

Grey Fox

Yes. Christmas is one of the cheapest day of the year to travel on viarail.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Just checked,  and yes trains running.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 25, 2023, 05:32:10 PMPrompted by this tweet from someone on holiday for Christmas (who used to live in France). Belgian trains running too:
QuoteTom Forth
@thomasforth
Not surprised by the Dutch running trains on Christmas Day. But the French?! I'd have assumed it was triple pay, no trains, and a free lobster dinner for all the staff. But instead no,... train people at work.

Bus were running, so I assume trains too, albeit at a reduce service.

I haven't check until now and there's no departure between Quebec city and Montreal, but that means nothing.  Usually, it's earlier in the day.  They're on for tomorrow, and the day after Christmas is usually off for most businesses too.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Maladict

People here depend on trains to get anywhere, including their families on Christmas Day. Service might be reduced on Christmas Eve, and possibly both Christmas days.

Zanza

What Maladict said. Maybe reduced service on Christmas and Boxing Day, similar to a Sunday, but definitely running.

celedhring

Yes, I took the train to go to my parents', as a matter of fact.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Maladict on December 26, 2023, 12:09:44 AMPeople here depend on trains to get anywhere, including their families on Christmas Day. Service might be reduced on Christmas Eve, and possibly both Christmas days.

Same here.
Not just commuting, metros, RER/S-Bahns, busses etc.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 25, 2023, 05:32:10 PMPrompted by this tweet from someone on holiday for Christmas (who used to live in France). Belgian trains running too:
QuoteTom Forth
@thomasforth

76 € for just a bit more than one hour by train?! Prices increased a lot since 2016, and not just for Christmas.

Sheilbh

Yeah I was shocked at how expensive SNCF was last time I was in France. Admittedly I was buying tickets for trains on that day, but the default perception in the UK is that trains are cheaper and better in the rest of Europe so it was a surprise.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

To be fair, it's mostly on the high-speed track so higher fee. Still...

HVC

Someone's gotta pay for all those strikes.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Yes. Also hospitals, power plants, etc.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.