News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Venezuela vs Guyana

Started by Jacob, December 05, 2023, 05:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

On Dec 3rd, Venezuela held a referendum on whether they should annex about 2/3 of neighbouring Guyana's territory. Apparently they had about 50% turnout, with 95% of the votes cast favouring the annexation.

Brazil has reportedly moved troops to the area.

Grey Fox

On who's side is Brazil? Will they guarantee Guyana's territory or annex it for itself?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Less a threat of war than Ethiopia - Eritrea imo. It would be just too stupid from Venezuela. I wonder what their plan is.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Putin's calling in favours. Stir up shit to pull attention away from my own fuckups.

Just kidding. Maybe. I don't know.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 05, 2023, 05:28:48 PMOn who's side is Brazil? Will they guarantee Guyana's territory or annex it for itself?

They are interested by Guyane, not Guyana. Already occupied during the Napoleonic Wars.  :P
More seriously, I don't see Lula being that stupid. Brazil has no claim on Guyana.

Jacob

My impression is that Brazil would be there as the local power, to ensure stability by a show of force.

Josquius

Yeah, Lula is quite a strong voice calling for peace in Ukraine (albeit from a naiive place that gives Russia way too much) and for a end to the current Israel shit.
Trying to stop war breaking out next door is consistent.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Well at least we wouldn't have to go through the effort of putting sanctions on Venezuela if they invaded.

But I am sure the combined MIGHT of the Commonwealth of Nations will scare Venezuela off if Brazil doesn't. Right Canada? Right Britain?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Biden will just have the navy bomb any invading forces into submission if Venezuela is foolish enough to do that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on December 05, 2023, 05:26:27 PMOn Dec 3rd, Venezuela held a referendum on whether they should annex about 2/3 of neighbouring Guyana's territory. Apparently they had about 50% turnout, with 95% of the votes cast favouring the annexation.

Brazil has reportedly moved troops to the area.

I read that turnout was probably more like 10%.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/04/maduro-venezuela-guyana-essequibo-referendum-vote-turnout
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

It is possible that the details of the vote have been misreported, I suppose.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on December 05, 2023, 06:39:14 PMMy impression is that Brazil would be there as the local power, to ensure stability by a show of force.
Brazilian forces are on high alert and have been moved to the border region. Lula has historically close relationships with Maduro but I think he has been pretty strong on this.

Can't imagine the US would accept it either - and I hope the UK provides whatever support we can.
Let's bomb Russia!

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Jacob on December 05, 2023, 05:32:33 PMPutin's calling in favours. Stir up shit to pull attention away from my own fuckups.

Just kidding. Maybe. I don't know.

It may very well be that indeed.  It is, in any case, a sign of the weakening west I think.