News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spotify 2023 Wrapped

Started by Josquius, December 01, 2023, 05:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

They've quite a nice setup this year. If you've not seen yours yet its worth watching through the whole presentation with the sound on rather than just looking at the play list.

Here's my wee summary from the year. Spot the bit where my kid went through an obsessive phase with a random autistic Canadian guy doing adult versions of the Thomas the Tank Engine soundtrack...

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Lately I've started saving these for posterity. Its quite interesting to look back and see the subtle taste variations through the years, how without noticing some stuff can drop off and other stuff comes in. This year of course is broken with all the kids music!

See yours: https://www.spotify.com/us/wrapped/
And no. They aren't paying me. Fuckers.

One odd thing I learned is that apparently I like a genre called crank wave that I've never even heard of.

██████
██████
██████

garbon

I think Spotify is constantly making up new genres.

I continue to get gayer. :lol:

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

What the hell is permanent wave lol.

Mine is all weird because I mainly listen to history documentaries.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

I'm even more confused now. It includes the blur, Patti smith, nirvana, smashing pumpkins, Lou reed, the B-52s, wheezer, foo fighters , and Radiohead amongst many others :D

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Yeah. Seems to just mean... Timeless popular indie?
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Josquius on December 01, 2023, 05:53:21 AMSpot the bit where my kid went through an obsessive phase with a random autistic Canadian guy doing adult versions of the Thomas the Tank Engine soundtrack...

Your kid and my kid should meet.  Solution - family plan with separate accounts.
Wrap:

Elvin Jones
John Coltrane
Stanley Turrentine
Shirley Scott
Grant Green

Love for Sale (Eddie Harris)
Mas Que Nada (Hugh Masekela)
Bemba y Tablao (Arturo o'Farill)
Return of the Prodigal Son (Freddie Hubbard)
Kala (Ali Farka Toure and Toumani Diabate)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I've not listened to as much music on Spotify as in previous years, but listened a lot to podcasts, mostly during my commute and in the mornings. I mostly listened to music on it for background ambience, and I guess that reflects in my stats - been listening to my Star Wars playlist (in which I just add all Star Wars soundtracks from movies to shows to games; though I have to reconnect the files for the ones not on Spotify on my hard drive again), RPG ambience etc. while doing something else. Interestingly, my most listened to songs are synthwave (which I often default to as "background noise"), but it doesn't show up in my main genres. :D

OTOH there was a little think you clip from the guys from the percussion section of the London Symphony Orchestra because (soundtracks) I apparently listened to them a lot. :lol:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 01, 2023, 08:49:21 AM
Quote from: Josquius on December 01, 2023, 05:53:21 AMSpot the bit where my kid went through an obsessive phase with a random autistic Canadian guy doing adult versions of the Thomas the Tank Engine soundtrack...

Your kid and my kid should meet.  Solution - family plan with separate accounts.
Wrap:

Also into weird kid stuff?

Even paying for spotify is a push for me. The family plan just sounds like such a rip off I must say. I don't think having auto generated playlists and the like wrecked hurts that much,
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

I have a YouTube music family subscription, it's basically the same than Spotify, and it's pretty awesome.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Gups

I'm stuck in the past - jazz, trip hop, 80s and 90s hip hop, soul. Also have no idea how to post pictures or files

The Minsky Moment

Is that the Henry Threadgill/Fred Hopkins Air or the fusion band with the Brecker brothers?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Gups

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 05, 2023, 10:31:20 AMIs that the Henry Threadgill/Fred Hopkins Air or the fusion band with the Brecker brothers?

Neither - a French duo show started in the late 90s. Chilled electronica I suppose - lots of plays because good focus music. Their debut album Moon Safari is well worth a listen, still not old after 25 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_(French_band)

Jacob

I remember Air!

Yeah, good focus music for sure.

crazy canuck

57 genres, 1025 different artists, 13227 minutes.  I was all over the place this year.  My top artist remains Wolf Alice - same as last year.