Best Live-Action Non-DC/Marvel Comic Book Movie

Started by Sophie Scholl, November 19, 2023, 07:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What best captured the feel of the comic and was also a good movie?

2 (14.3%)
A History of Violence
2 (14.3%)
The Crow
0 (0%)
Dredd
3 (21.4%)
Hellboy
0 (0%)
The Mask
0 (0%)
Road to Perdition
1 (7.1%)
The Rocketeer
0 (0%)
Sin City
1 (7.1%)
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
4 (28.6%)
Watchmen
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Sophie Scholl

The discussion in the TV/Movies thread made me think of some of my favorites as well as others that people tend to love. I limited it to 11, but I'm curious what you folks think! ...I honestly am not sure which will get my vote yet.  :lol:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

celedhring

Hard to say, I have seen all those films but I haven't read all the comics they're based on.

I'll stick with Scott Pilgrim, again I think it's successful in adapting the narrative style of the comic into film language - failing that it would have been a pointless adaptation. And I have a huge weak spot for films that toy with the established language of film.

I'll volunteer Snowpiercer as a notable adaptation, although the movie is stylistically very much its own thing compared to the French comic (which is also great).

HVC

Of those listed I picked a history of violence. Write in vote for (original) teenage mutant ninja turtles for nostalgias sake.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Although a true to comic book mask could be great or really bad.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sophie Scholl

I considered TMNT, but it felt a lot closer to the cartoons than the comic. I haven't seen Snowpiercer, so I wasn't sure how it was as a movie or an adaptation.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josquius

Best captured comic style - 300.
Best film overall - Scott pilgrim
██████
██████
██████

OttoVonBismarck

I've seen all of these movies and knew that most were based on graphic novels / comics, but I literally had 0 idea that Road to Perdition was, kinda wild because I've rewatched that film a few times since it came out and never knew.

Crazy_Ivan80

I've seen more of those than I expected. Can't say which is best really. Maybe 300? But that's just one opinion

Darth Wagtaros

What about Kick Ass?

I loved Scott PIlgrim. But Dredd kicks ass.
PDH!

Admiral Yi

No love for that flick where Jude Law flies his Spitfire under water?

Darth Wagtaros

Sky Captain? No. I was so looking forward to that and it was a mess.  A cool looking one, but still a major disappointment.
PDH!

celedhring

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 19, 2023, 10:53:25 AMI've seen all of these movies and knew that most were based on graphic novels / comics, but I literally had 0 idea that Road to Perdition was, kinda wild because I've rewatched that film a few times since it came out and never knew.
There is actually a whole series in comic format I believe if you're interested in tracking them down. I know I nabbed one for a song but haven't gotten to read it yet.

viper37

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on November 19, 2023, 07:40:02 AMThe discussion in the TV/Movies thread made me think of some of my favorites as well as others that people tend to love. I limited it to 11, but I'm curious what you folks think! ...I honestly am not sure which will get my vote yet.  :lol:
Dredd.
It's a solid movie and totally underrated.

I really like 300.  It's over the top, it's a caricature, it's unrealistic, it's a lot of action, it has solid acting performances too.

But Dread has everything an action movie fan would want and a very decent scenario for a comic book inspired movie.  Maybe because it doesn't even feel like a comic book movie once they've entered the building.  Most of the action scenes could have been shot as anything with little difference.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.