News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

So the Hamas seems to have surprised Israel with a large scale terror attack today. Reports of thousands of rockets, 20+ dead, infiltrators and hostages, burned out Israeli military vehicles, reservists called to duty. I guess that warrants a thread.

:(

Admiral Yi

PJL

Most likely it will end up with the depopulation and obliteration of the Gaza Strip.

Crazy_Ivan80

Hamas probably thinks they can engage in some ethnic cleansing and genocide after their Islamic brothers in Azerbaijan did the same..

Josquius

What are they hoping to accomplish out of this?
They can't be so think as to believe Israel will throw their hands up and go ok we surrender you can have the 1947 borders back.
Traditional Islamic extremist shit of trying to bring on such a harsh Israeli response it brings the population onto their side/moves forward the apocalyptic war of civilizations?

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 07, 2023, 05:26:01 AMHamas probably thinks they can engage in some ethnic cleansing and genocide after their Islamic brothers in Azerbaijan did the same..

:blink:
Azerbaijan are Israeli allies and even beyond that I can't see how this makes sense.
██████
██████
██████

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Josquius on October 07, 2023, 05:50:32 AM:blink:
Azerbaijan are Israeli allies and even beyond that I can't see how this makes sense.

muslim country removes non muslim presence from place. Azerbaijan and Israel being allies is irrelevant to that.

Josephus

What I don't get is this: Israel has one of the best intelligence gathering units in the world. Arguably second only to the USA. And they didn't see an attack of this magnitude? I believe they probably did, but let it happen, sort of like Coventry. i think they see these incursions as 1) Public sympathy for the state and 2) a reason to go ballistic (literally) on Hamas.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

Quote from: Josephus on October 07, 2023, 07:25:15 AMWhat I don't get is this: Israel has one of the best intelligence gathering units in the world. Arguably second only to the USA. And they didn't see an attack of this magnitude? I believe they probably did, but let it happen, sort of like Coventry. i think they see these incursions as 1) Public sympathy for the state and 2) a reason to go ballistic (literally) on Hamas.

Yeah I would absolutely not put it past Netanyahu to make intelligence services ignore advance warnings, and I am pretty sure like in all other countries you can find far-right people in the various armed services ready to do what's necessary to get the casus belli they need to do what they want. Now anti-government protests and military personnel refusing to serve in protest will be out of question for quite a while.

I am also hoping this wasn't just plain incompetence because this will be a protracted conflict then.

Also I am wondering if this was just Hamas justifying their continued existence, or if they are doing some proxy thing for something Iran is preparing elsewhere. Early reports seems to show they are awash in Iranian equipment.

Josquius

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 07, 2023, 05:53:31 AM

muslim country removes non muslim presence from place. Azerbaijan and Israel being allies is irrelevant to that.

Gaza is over 99% Muslim. I've heard nothing to suggest getting rid of non Muslims is particularly high on their agenda.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

I was thinking about starting a thread, but one's has been created, I was going to entitle it 'Israeli-Palestinian- War 2023-'

Because I don't see this being confined to Gaza and I think Netanyahu and the Iranians could both want to widen the conflict for their own murderous reasons. And the 2023- onwards as I don't see this resolving in usual 'ceasefire' after a couple of weeks.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

OttoVonBismarck

I will always stand with Israel, but I hate what is now coming for the Palestinians who aren't part of this insanity and who have just been struggling to get by--because they will bear the brunt of the pain.

While I am not quite sure Netanyahu would knowingly "allow this" to happen, and intelligence failures do happen--I can think of few developments more beneficial for him.

This is the end of public political opposition to his coalition. The end of drama over his authoritarian reforms.

It may even benefit them diplomatically, because all signs are Iran gave blessing to this. A major driver of the rapprochement between Saudi Arabia and Iran has been a shared enmity towards Iran, and IMO this could actually help move more of the formal governments of the Arab world into closer relationships with Israel. Maybe not formal signed peace treaties, but I think this actually helps Israel diplomatically in the long run.

Legbiter

Footage out of Israel is very shocking. It's like a series of Bataclan attacks.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

mongers

QuoteAn Israeli soldier stands by the bodies of Israelis killed in the southern Israeli city of Sderot [Tsafrir Abayov/AP Photo]

I thought this image stands for much of the murder/killing that is going on.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Josquius on October 07, 2023, 07:52:48 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 07, 2023, 05:53:31 AM

Gaza is over 99% Muslim. I've heard nothing to suggest getting rid of non Muslims is particularly high on their agenda.

it's all Hamas exists for.

Caliga

Sigh.  Are people EVER going to stop trying to kill the Jews? :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points