Main Menu

20 years of Languishing

Started by garbon, September 20, 2023, 06:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

20 years! It actually feels longer...well done everyone for still being around 

FunkMonk

Quote from: Barrister on September 25, 2023, 02:54:45 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 24, 2023, 11:46:06 PMKAPland elections were probably my single most favourite part of EUOT - KAPland - Languish. Great times :nostalgia:

This is your reminder that I am STILL the President of Languish OT (aka POLOT) until another President is elected to replace me...

Sounds like we need some sort of insurrection
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Barrister

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 26, 2023, 08:23:21 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 25, 2023, 02:54:45 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 24, 2023, 11:46:06 PMKAPland elections were probably my single most favourite part of EUOT - KAPland - Languish. Great times :nostalgia:

This is your reminder that I am STILL the President of Languish OT (aka POLOT) until another President is elected to replace me...

Sounds like we need some sort of insurrection

After my time as POLOT X (which included a series of funny-to-me X-related avatars) is when Ank took over the forum.  He changed POLOT to PMOLOT (Prime Minister of Languish OT), but I maintained that change was illegitimate and thus I am still the President until new Presidential elections are held.

:cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

OttoVonBismarck

I'm still a part of a few "old style" privately hosted message boards like this, all that I joined around a flurry of online debating I was doing around the first GWB administration and the Iraq War. All are pretty reduced in number obviously--something I often, grimly wonder about is a few posters like MB we know have passed on to the great beyond but I sometimes wonder how many of the ones who just "vanished" over the years have also passed on.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Hamilcar

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 26, 2023, 03:38:52 PMI'm still a part of a few "old style" privately hosted message boards like this, all that I joined around a flurry of online debating I was doing around the first GWB administration and the Iraq War. All are pretty reduced in number obviously--something I often, grimly wonder about is a few posters like MB we know have passed on to the great beyond but I sometimes wonder how many of the ones who just "vanished" over the years have also passed on.

So these types of message boards are a subculture born at a very specific moment in time. Super interesting.

Could you start a languish today? I guess it would be rather hard as everyone's attention span is shorter and people prefer short form video.

Barrister

Quote from: Hamilcar on September 27, 2023, 03:18:04 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 26, 2023, 03:38:52 PMI'm still a part of a few "old style" privately hosted message boards like this, all that I joined around a flurry of online debating I was doing around the first GWB administration and the Iraq War. All are pretty reduced in number obviously--something I often, grimly wonder about is a few posters like MB we know have passed on to the great beyond but I sometimes wonder how many of the ones who just "vanished" over the years have also passed on.

So these types of message boards are a subculture born at a very specific moment in time. Super interesting.

Could you start a languish today? I guess it would be rather hard as everyone's attention span is shorter and people prefer short form video.

You could form something similar, but it would be a Facebook group or a sub-reddit or something.

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Barrister

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on September 27, 2023, 03:47:53 PMProbably a Discord channel.

Yeah even as I was typing it I was thinking "Facebook and reddit are probably already a bit outdated, it's probably something I'm missing"...

FunkMonk

Yeah Discord type services are the thing now. Although it's also basically IRC from back in the late 90s.

I miss mIRC  :cry:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on September 27, 2023, 03:47:53 PMProbably a Discord channel.

Discord is a terrible place to try to have ongoing discussions, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

I find so too with discord. I don't get its appeal. Its crap for continuing discussions and its not as good as whatsapp and the like for instant messaging style discussions.
I know its voice channel and game integrations are supposed to be good but... what else is there to it?
Are teh yoof really using it so heavily as a standard chat place?
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Discord is best for large communities of like hundreds or thousands of users. It's for chat servers, basically a modernized IRC.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josquius on September 28, 2023, 07:21:27 AMI find so too with discord. I don't get its appeal. Its crap for continuing discussions and its not as good as whatsapp and the like for instant messaging style discussions.
I know its voice channel and game integrations are supposed to be good but... what else is there to it?
Are teh yoof really using it so heavily as a standard chat place?

They don't know any other alternatives where there's only one community at the time.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.