News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Some interesting data on the impact of Swift's endorsement. From the Globe

QuoteThis could have real consequences. As of 11 am EST on Wednesday, there had been 306,422 visitors to vote.gov that arrived through Ms. Swift's URL, the organization told The Globe and Mail.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HVC

People are dumb. But at least in this case their stupidity might save us instead of doom us :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Well, as has been demonstrated in this thread - there are people who are very good at ignoring information they deem irrelevant and outside of their sphere of interest, even if others think it's incredible that they don't know or care.

For some it means not knowing about pop-cultural icons until they impact the politics they care about. For others it means not knowing about politics until a pop-cultural icon they care about puts it on their radar.

Personally my struggle is the other way - I wish I could be less aware of Musk and all manner of other things, but awareness still seeps at rates beyond what I'd prefer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on September 12, 2024, 10:47:35 AMPeople are dumb. But at least in this case their stupidity might save us instead of doom us :lol:

Why do you think the people who are registering to vote are stupid?

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 12, 2024, 11:55:30 AM
Quote from: HVC on September 12, 2024, 10:47:35 AMPeople are dumb. But at least in this case their stupidity might save us instead of doom us :lol:

Because before they were given the go ahead by Taylor they hadn't. So, by that reasoning, without her say so they wouldn't have voted at all. Or worse, may have voted Trump.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on September 12, 2024, 12:03:20 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 12, 2024, 11:55:30 AM

Because before they were given the go ahead by Taylor they hadn't. So, by that reasoning, without her say so they wouldn't have voted at all. Or worse, may have voted Trump.

It has historically been very difficult to get young people to register to vote. And yes, historically many young people don't vote. That is not them being stupid.  That is them being uninterested in politics at that age and stage. 

My bet is that average intelligence in that group, given that many will be in grade 12 or university, is not so different from that of society as a whole and probably slightly higher.

Also, she did not tell anyone who to vote for.  She encouraged everyone to register to vote how they wish.  She also explained why she is voting for Harris.  A safe assumption is that many of the people who registered to vote through her URL will vote for Harris.

HVC

And of she had endorsed Trump the majority of these people would have voted Trump. Guess you have more faith in people then I do. Or perhaps you just need more dumb people in your life :lol:

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on September 12, 2024, 10:35:43 AM:yeah: Swifties, save us!

I sure hope she is extremely popular in the states of Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Georgia.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on September 12, 2024, 12:15:29 PMAnd of she had endorsed Trump the majority of these people would have voted Trump. Guess you have more faith in people then I do. Or perhaps you just need more dumb people in your life :lol:

Or you should just back down from calling hundreds of thousands of young people dumb.

HVC

Hey, you're the one always rallying against America, the GOP and Trump in particular. These are 100 of thousands of people who saw Trump and decided not to vote. You see simple innocent disinterest, I see apathy to the level of stupidity *especially* when the trigger to vote is that their favourite singer told them they should vote. To each their own.

Good for them for voting for the democrats, but it could easily have gone to the other way if Taylor had endorsed the other side.

Josephus

Quote from: Valmy on September 12, 2024, 12:17:17 PM

I sure hope she is extremely popular in the states of Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Georgia.

Is there anywhere she isn't popular?

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on September 12, 2024, 12:37:39 PM

If there is, I sure hope it isn't in any of those states  :ph34r:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 12, 2024, 12:39:17 PM
Quote from: Josephus on September 12, 2024, 12:37:39 PM

If there is, I sure hope it isn't in any of those states  :ph34r:

I wonder if she can redo her tour schedule to run through those states in the next few weeks.  Or maybe just pop up performances.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on September 12, 2024, 12:25:29 PMHey, you're the one always rallying against America, the GOP and Trump in particular. These are 100 of thousands of people who saw Trump and decided not to vote. You see simple innocent disinterest, I see apathy to the level of stupidity *especially* when the trigger to vote is that their favourite singer told them they should vote. To each their own.

Good for them for voting for the democrats, but it could easily have gone to the other way if Taylor had endorsed the other side.

You must have been perfect in your youth.  I am very happy for you.