2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on March 25, 2024, 07:40:23 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 25, 2024, 04:22:15 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 25, 2024, 12:53:23 PMOnly in Canada would something like the "Dean Scream" be seen as "a big US political scandal."  :P  For an American politician, his behavior was not at all scandalous.
Just saw a meme about it in a US political forum.  Then went to read the Wikipedia page when they said it was some scandal.

But it was later clarified to me that it wasn't really a scandal at the time.  More like, modern young liberals looking at it with some nostalgia, thinking he was cheated out of victory by evil medias who destroyed his campaign.
Granted, it was a little weird that he finished in 3rd place and went on with what seemed like a victory speech, but I'm sure he was not the first politician to act like that.  There is an equivalent in Quebec of a politician losing the election and calling it a "moral victory".  I'm sure it happens in every democracy.  :) 

Weren't you on this forum when that happened?  I mean, we discussed it back then.  It was just a funny thing that happened.  A joke.

I remember Dean now that I've read about him, but I don't remember his victory speech.  It's possible we discussed it here or on Paradox OT. 

I wasn't really following American primaries back then, so I might not have noticed if there was a thread about it. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on March 25, 2024, 08:04:55 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 25, 2024, 07:40:23 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 25, 2024, 04:22:15 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 25, 2024, 12:53:23 PMOnly in Canada would something like the "Dean Scream" be seen as "a big US political scandal."  :P  For an American politician, his behavior was not at all scandalous.
Just saw a meme about it in a US political forum.  Then went to read the Wikipedia page when they said it was some scandal.

But it was later clarified to me that it wasn't really a scandal at the time.  More like, modern young liberals looking at it with some nostalgia, thinking he was cheated out of victory by evil medias who destroyed his campaign.
Granted, it was a little weird that he finished in 3rd place and went on with what seemed like a victory speech, but I'm sure he was not the first politician to act like that.  There is an equivalent in Quebec of a politician losing the election and calling it a "moral victory".  I'm sure it happens in every democracy.  :) 

Weren't you on this forum when that happened?  I mean, we discussed it back then.  It was just a funny thing that happened.  A joke.

I remember Dean now that I've read about him, but I don't remember his victory speech.  It's possible we discussed it here or on Paradox OT. 

I wasn't really following American primaries back then, so I might not have noticed if there was a thread about it. :)

It was discussed but with the pre-2009 forum being nuked we can't go look at it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2024, 08:00:49 PM

Appeals court drops bond to 175 million.
Still on hock for the full amount if he loses the appeal, which he will.

This is just the amount he needs to post to stop the State from seizing his property before the appeal is finished.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Oexmelin

It won't make a lick of difference.

The courts will not save you.
Que le grand cric me croque !

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 26, 2024, 08:11:27 AMIt won't make a lick of difference.

The courts will not save you.

LOL, sez courts.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 26, 2024, 06:04:08 AMStill on hock for the full amount if he loses the appeal, which he will.

The finding of liability will be upheld on appeal but the disgorgement award maybe not.

The reduction of the bond is a bad sign, because as far as I know, it's never been done before.  At least I've never seen it happen and there is no reported case of it happening.  So either the Appellate Division is intimidated by Trump's terror tactics or they think the award was too high.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 26, 2024, 08:11:27 AMThe courts will not save you.

On the contrary the US Supreme Court is hanging back just waiting to stick the last knife in the back.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 26, 2024, 09:01:04 AMAmerica's.  About six entry wounds, I suspect.

Five and a concurring wave of the knife from Coney Barret who agrees with the murder but just feels awful about all the blood.
--Joan Robinson

OttoVonBismarck

Good, the last thing we need is Trump having financial issues that will hurt his campaign. Now that Joe Biden has thrown his lot in with Islamic terrorism defeating him is a priority of national survival. All of the court cases against Trump should be quashed / thrown out. You don't weaken the fight against someone who is actively seeking to derail America like Biden is.

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson

HVC

He's gone too far into the heel character, now I just think he's trolling :D . Otto seemed consistently anti trump. But maybe he's snapped.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.