2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2024, 07:32:32 PMHow will the Trump branding get treated?  If a building is seized, or just the cash flow, does the State of New York own the lettering on the front too?

Using the example of 40 Wall, if the LLC was forced to turn over the leasehold, then whoever took it over would also get the naming rights.  If it was just a charging order, existing management would decide so the name would probably stay for the time being.

One some of the buildings, lettering is there because a Trump company acts as the property manager.  Since 2016, some buildings in that situation have taken the lettering down because there is a price discount now.  The naming rights are a matter of the property management contracts.  I don't think the AG would be interested in those arrangements for anything other than the income flow.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

I was asking more about what legal rights Donny would retain to the commercial use of his name.  Sounds like none?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2024, 07:51:09 PMI was asking more about what legal rights Donny would retain to the commercial use of his name.  Sounds like none?

No he would retain all commercial rights to the use of his name.  But any income he earned could be seized.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Just found out about a big US political scandal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_scream 

Damn.

Apparently, that was something, and political commentators were saying he lost the primaries because was overly excited on tv to finish 3rd in Iowa.  Couldn't even remember the guy had competed with John Kerry before reading the Wikipedia page.

Broadcast 633 times in 4 days. :wacko:   Because the guy is happy to be in the 3rd spot.

Crazy 'Mericans.  :D ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Context: Dean was an outsider-y left-ish figure who the Dems didn't really want to see win. I mean he was a Yale grad and a state governor so not really much of an outsider but he shocked everybody by doing something rather unconventional at the time and launched an internet campaign where he raised tons of money from small donors and bypassed the normal Democratic fund raising apparatus. He was maybe not the first guy to do that, but he was the first one to really make waves doing it.

But this was dismaying to the Democrats, Kerry was already the guy they wanted. They were just sure a military man with a spotless record of heroics like Kerry was who the country would elect in a militarized time. So when Dean did his thing everybody jumped on it to make him seem like a crazy person. If Kerry had screamed it would have been downplayed.

But it wasn't like Dean winning was some kind of sure thing. It was going to be an uphill fight regardless.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Only in Canada would something like the "Dean Scream" be seen as "a big US political scandal."  :P   For an American politician, his behavior was not at all scandalous.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Well, Dean was made head of the DNC so the Democrats weren't that oppose to him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on March 25, 2024, 12:59:29 PMWell, Dean was made head of the DNC so the Democrats weren't that oppose to him.
And was very, very good at that job.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

It wasn't a scandal at all, it was just a funny meme from a fringy candidate who finished in 3d place.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 25, 2024, 12:59:29 PMWell, Dean was made head of the DNC so the Democrats weren't that oppose to him.

Right. As I said he wasn't that much of an outsider.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on March 25, 2024, 12:53:23 PMOnly in Canada would something like the "Dean Scream" be seen as "a big US political scandal."  :P  For an American politician, his behavior was not at all scandalous.
Just saw a meme about it in a US political forum.  Then went to read the Wikipedia page when they said it was some scandal.

But it was later clarified to me that it wasn't really a scandal at the time.  More like, modern young liberals looking at it with some nostalgia, thinking he was cheated out of victory by evil medias who destroyed his campaign.
Granted, it was a little weird that he finished in 3rd place and went on with what seemed like a victory speech, but I'm sure he was not the first politician to act like that.   There is an equivalent in Quebec of a politician losing the election and calling it a "moral victory".  I'm sure it happens in every democracy.  :)   

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

:lol: Jeremy Corbyn's article in the Guardian after 2019 election, having led the party to their worst defeat since the 1930s, was that "we won the argument" :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2024, 07:36:46 PM:lol: Jeremy Corbyn's article in the Guardian after 2019 election, having led the party to their worst defeat since the 1930s, was that "we won the argument" :bleeding:

He didn't stipulate which argument he won, did he? :contract: :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on March 25, 2024, 04:22:15 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 25, 2024, 12:53:23 PMOnly in Canada would something like the "Dean Scream" be seen as "a big US political scandal."  :P  For an American politician, his behavior was not at all scandalous.
Just saw a meme about it in a US political forum.  Then went to read the Wikipedia page when they said it was some scandal.

But it was later clarified to me that it wasn't really a scandal at the time.  More like, modern young liberals looking at it with some nostalgia, thinking he was cheated out of victory by evil medias who destroyed his campaign.
Granted, it was a little weird that he finished in 3rd place and went on with what seemed like a victory speech, but I'm sure he was not the first politician to act like that.  There is an equivalent in Quebec of a politician losing the election and calling it a "moral victory".  I'm sure it happens in every democracy.  :) 

Weren't you on this forum when that happened?  I mean, we discussed it back then.  It was just a funny thing that happened.  A joke.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Appeals court drops bond to 175 million.