News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dominion Voting System v Fox News

Started by Barrister, April 18, 2023, 11:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/dominion-voting-fox-news-trial-1.6813876

Trial is set to start today after having been delayed by 24 hours yesterday.

There have been highly embarrassing releases of discovery coming out of this case, like how Tucker Carlson hates Donald Trump in private, or basically how Fox knew that somew of the stories they were putting out there were crap, but that's what their audience wanted.

What I don't get is this though - at the end of the day it's a defamation case - so it's about damage to reputation.  Dominion Voting Systems is not a large company.  It's privatey held so impossible to get an exact value on it, but I see it has 100-200 employees, one estimate has its annual revenue (not profit - revenue) at $17.5 million.  And while I have no problem believing that Dominion's reputation was damaged in 2020, by the revelations from this case alone you have to think a lot of that damage has been ameliorated.

So while Dominion (to my eyes) should almost certainly be compensated, the $1.6 billion ask seems wildly inappropriate.  This does appear like they're trying to pull a Gawker / Hulk Hogan / Peter Thiel move where the intent is to just try and cause as much damage to Fox as possible.

And finally - the trial judge has already made rulings that can and likely will be appealed.  What happens if this case makes it to a 6-3 divided Supreme Court? :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Does increased threat level against owners and employees mean anything in these things?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Gups

Barrister

Quote from: Gups on April 18, 2023, 01:02:21 PMPunitive damages?

Yeah.  And I understand that the US is much more willing to impose punitive damages than Canada is.

But still - I think of punitive damages as being like 3x.  The damages being sought here seem like orders of magnitude more than the actual financial loss experienced by Dominion.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

I think that Dominion went into this asking for the maximum that could be even thinly justified, both to pressure Fox for a settlement, and to give the jury some leeway to reduce the amount of the judgement if that would be necessary to get some jurors to find for Dominion.  None of the $1.6B is for punitive damages; Dominion simply asked for punitive damages in the amount that the jury decided on (if I am reading the coverage correctly).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on April 18, 2023, 01:18:07 PMI think that Dominion went into this asking for the maximum that could be even thinly justified, both to pressure Fox for a settlement, and to give the jury some leeway to reduce the amount of the judgement if that would be necessary to get some jurors to find for Dominion.  None of the $1.6B is for punitive damages; Dominion simply asked for punitive damages in the amount that the jury decided on (if I am reading the coverage correctly).

Yeah, the heads of damage making the 1.6B are related to loss of profits, loss of enterprise value and other sundry expenses, such as the security they had to hire to keep their operations safe from the Maga maniacs.  The punitive damages in this case could be considerable if it turns out the Fox talking heads knew the claims they were making on air were false.  But, as you say, that is not part of the 1.6 figure.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2023, 01:04:47 PM
Quote from: Gups on April 18, 2023, 01:02:21 PMPunitive damages?

Yeah.  And I understand that the US is much more willing to impose punitive damages than Canada is.

But still - I think of punitive damages as being like 3x.  The damages being sought here seem like orders of magnitude more than the actual financial loss experienced by Dominion.

Actual loss of profits is a very small part of the claim, the losses being claimed are into the future.  Not simply what has been suffered to date.

Razgovory

Fox News doesn't even need to lose the lawsuit now, the revelations have been damaging enough.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2023, 01:35:01 PMFox News doesn't even need to lose the lawsuit now, the revelations have been damaging enough.

I don't know about that.  I heard a report today saying their viewership has not decreased.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 18, 2023, 01:37:17 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2023, 01:35:01 PMFox News doesn't even need to lose the lawsuit now, the revelations have been damaging enough.

I don't know about that.  I heard a report today saying their viewership has not decreased.

Yeah their 70+ age demographic don't care about that kind of thing.

In any case kind of surprised Fox wouldn't know just making up fake attacks on people and institutions will get them sued and for potentially a lot. Seems like the kind of liability knowledge that a big corporate news agency would know about.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

And it has settled.  787.5 million 

Habbaku

Fox seems to have settled for $787.5 million.  :lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

A very expensive fake story Fox. I hope it was worth it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Net income for fox news in 2022 was $1.507B. So this hurts but is hardly crippling.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Minsky Moment

The crazy claims against Dominion basically killed their ability to get contracts in the US  So they can claim as damages all lost future profits that they reasonably could have earned. 

The Supreme Court is (was) not likely to be much of a factor because defamation is a state law issue.  The Court would only get involved to the extent the trial judge made a ruling that was fundamentally at odds with the First Amendment.

That said, it's clear that Dominion's strongest leverage point was the in terrorem effect of a threatened public trial.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson