More favorably
20 (45.5%)
No Change
14 (31.8%)
Less Favorably
10 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Viking

"No Change" - but then again I'm an Atlantophile.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

One of the interesting things nuggled away in that report is support for a free market, which is as high in the Middle East as in Western Europe.  I believe that the Palestinian Territories has the highest level of support.
Let's bomb Russia!

Alatriste

More favorably. Mildly so, but then again I knew more about America than most people... and my own opinion was always more positive than the average over here.

There's been almost no change in US foreign policy since Obama took office.

IMHO In Spain at least people didn't expect a radical change in US foreign policy, and understood Obama's hands were tied in many aspects. Their opinion has improved because

1. The presidential election. Primaries have a lot of problems, but they mean citizens did something more than choosing between McCain and Obama. This is becoming a serious problem over here, with our almost bipartidist system but rigid, too powerful and opaque party bureaucracies. We are becoming fed up with smoke-filled back rooms.

2. Quite simply, Obama being elected. Most didn't think he would succeed (or did think he would be murdered by some nut) and in addition most at leat wonder if an 'Spanish Obama' is even remotely possible, if the son of a Kenyan, Moroccan, Chinese or Bolivian inmigrant would have got the same opportunities here.

3. Obama trying to reform the health system. Fairly or unfairly, the average citizen this side of the Atlantic can't understand how and why a country so rich doesn't have universal health care, and the more he hears about the situation, the more puzzled he is.

The Brain

No significant change for me. I am very set in my ways. The Swedish masses probably pluslike Obama.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

sbr

Not to go Captain Obvious on y'all but I am pretty sure it has more to do with the guy who is no longer President than anything to actually do with Obama.

The rest of the world hated W., anyone we elected would have "lift(ed) US Image Around the World"

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Alatriste on July 25, 2009, 02:54:57 AM
More favorably. Mildly so, but then again I knew more about America than most people... and my own opinion was always more positive than the average over here.

Jesus Christ, you people must be about ready to declare war on us.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Siege

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 25, 2009, 04:42:31 PM

They are.

There is just the little fact that they don't have an army to fight us.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on July 26, 2009, 10:10:06 PM

They are.

There is just the little fact that they don't have an army to fight us.
You're not part of that 'us'.  You're the enemy, Mr. Israel.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on July 26, 2009, 10:19:26 PM

How about leaving it to those who are to exclude him, Mr. God Save the Queen?

Scratch that, I'm perfectly happy bursting Mormon bubbles and this situation is kind of the same thing.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 26, 2009, 10:31:33 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 26, 2009, 10:19:26 PM

How about leaving it to those who are to exclude him, Mr. God Save the Queen?

Scratch that, I'm perfectly happy bursting Mormon bubbles and this situation is kind of the same thing.
I'm the judge around here.  Not a one of you is qualified.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Alatriste

Oh, come on, let's get serious for a moment, if such a thing is possible on Languish. I defy you to quote just one example of a post by me that deserves such a commentary (or Siegy's but then again Siegy is Siegy and we are brothers, he and I; I won't ever say anything bad about a man that put his bottom in harm's way and loves fried steaks with onions, garlic and olive oil... well, except if the man happens to be Mussolini!)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Alatriste on July 27, 2009, 02:41:30 AM
but then again Siegy is Siegy and we are brothers, he and I;

Yup, you're both practically black.  Or close enough.
All we need is Black Dragon and then we can demonstrate the destructive power of this FULLY ARMED and OPERATIONAL swarthy thread.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on July 24, 2009, 03:46:14 PM
I think this pretty much proves what I've been saying for the last several years about the roots of anti-Americanism having almost nothing to do with actual policy.
I thought your view was that anti-Americanism had very little to do with the Bush administration and was actually deeply ingrained.  Maybe someone else, Yi?
Let's bomb Russia!

Alatriste

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2009, 04:22:21 AM
Quote from: Alatriste on July 27, 2009, 02:41:30 AM
but then again Siegy is Siegy and we are brothers, he and I;

Yup, you're both practically black.  Or close enough.
All we need is Black Dragon and then we can demonstrate the destructive power of this FULLY ARMED and OPERATIONAL swarthy thread.

Darn right, bro', as black as Cleopatra and Hannibal!!! :D