News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best Non Cable TV Show of All Time

Started by Admiral Yi, March 28, 2023, 04:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on March 29, 2023, 02:28:43 PMNot sure whether Would I Lie to You is comedy or light entertainment, Mongers, but it should be on your list somewhere.

It is Grumbler, I did a couple of other lists and updated light entertainment to  included it,  just didn't get around to posting them.

And yes Bob Mortimer is brilliant in it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Savonarola

Quote from: HVC on March 28, 2023, 09:31:34 PMDoesn't mash still have the record for most viewed final?

Yes, something like 105 million.  There were some broadcast problems with the Seinfeld finale, but it really wasn't that close (something like 75 million) that it would have likely overtaken MASH.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2023, 04:23:30 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 29, 2023, 08:13:57 AM3   The Wire

HBO

Yeah, I wondered about that, because it was first shown here on a UK terrestrial channel, BBC2 I think.

Josephus

Yeah, the original run of Twin Peaks, for me. Probably had a lot to do with being the right demographic at the time, and all that, but yeah, loved it.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

I presume Netflix counts as cable.

I'll say The Office for comedy, 24 for action, Twin Peaks for drama.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Josephus on March 30, 2023, 05:25:40 PMYeah, the original run of Twin Peaks, for me. Probably had a lot to do with being the right demographic at the time, and all that, but yeah, loved it.

I actually was a bit too young when it came out to appreciate it, but it was a craze over here.

Saw it later, when I was at college (the library had the LaserDisc edition), and loved it ever since.

Admiral Yi

Iormlund

Quote from: celedhring on March 31, 2023, 04:14:51 AM
Quote from: Josephus on March 30, 2023, 05:25:40 PMYeah, the original run of Twin Peaks, for me. Probably had a lot to do with being the right demographic at the time, and all that, but yeah, loved it.

I actually was a bit too young when it came out to appreciate it, but it was a craze over here.

Saw it later, when I was at college (the library had the LaserDisc edition), and loved it ever since.

Craze is the correct word. My best friend even had the Diary, and I remember reading it at school with her.

And as a very young teen, the eye-candy was much appreciated.  :D

celedhring

Quote from: Iormlund on March 31, 2023, 09:40:09 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 31, 2023, 04:14:51 AM

Craze is the correct word. My best friend even had the Diary, and I remember reading it at school with her.

And as a very young teen, the eye-candy was much appreciated.  :D

The college library also had the diary  :lol:

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

Twin Peaks.

A bit young at the time, but still aware of the new era of T.V, it ushered, as in more cinematic.
Rewatched it on blu-ray recently.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 02, 2023, 07:05:32 AMTwin Peaks.

A bit young at the time, but still aware of the new era of T.V, it ushered, as in more cinematic.

I think I was too Old for it, so never got into it.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on April 02, 2023, 07:25:12 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 02, 2023, 07:05:32 AMTwin Peaks.

I think I was too Old for it, so never got into it.

:lol:

Already an old geezer by early '90s? Wow.  :D

Or was it Angelo Badalmenti's theme? Extremely famous.

I had more trouble with the third season, 25 years after, at least in the beginning. Ending a bit rushed (too soon?) as well but interesting.