News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best Non Cable TV Show of All Time

Started by Admiral Yi, March 28, 2023, 04:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I'm with Mongers.  I never got twin peaks.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 02, 2023, 01:14:09 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 02, 2023, 07:25:12 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 02, 2023, 07:05:32 AMTwin Peaks.

A bit young at the time, but still aware of the new era of T.V, it ushered, as in more cinematic.
Rewatched it on blu-ray recently.
I think I was too Old for it, so never got into it.

:lol:

Already an old geezer by early '90s? Wow.  :D

Or was it Angelo Badalmenti's theme? Extremely famous.

I had more trouble with the third season, 25 years after, at least in the beginning. Ending a bit rushed (too soon?) as well but interesting.

Duque you've given me an idea.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

A bit young at the time, but still aware of the new era of T.V, it ushered, as in more cinematic.

I had more trouble with the third season, 25 years after, at least in the beginning. Ending a bit rushed (too soon?) as well but interesting.

Yeah, once we got past Bob, and Laura Palmer, the show got silly and stupid.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Well, some complained from the second season back then, with some merit, so let's say the first season.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on April 02, 2023, 07:14:32 PM

Duque you've given me an idea.

So now people will blame me.  :D

grumbler

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 03, 2023, 07:58:22 AMWell, some complained from the second season back then, with some merit, so let's say the first season.  :P

Yeah, I don't think that I ever even finished the second season.  It's one of those shows that should have stopped when they finished the story.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 28, 2023, 06:47:30 PMAmericans shows? Friends

Definitely the best traditonal American sit com. I agree.

As for shows got to go with the Simpsons.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Speaking of Twin Peaks jumping the shark. What about the reboot a few years back? That was totally unncecessary.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

The Simpsons.

I'd go for Frasier as the great sitcom  :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Barney Miller. By the time Season 2 got going, it became the perfect one act play.

But NBC's Hannibal was a work of art.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2023, 12:21:34 PMBarney Miller. By the time Season 2 got going, it became the perfect one act play.

You can watch some episodes on Youtube.  I have to admit they're pretty good.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Late to the thread, but Hillstreet Blues. 

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, this one wins the flattery contest.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 06, 2023, 01:05:59 PMLate to the thread, but Hillstreet Blues. 

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, this one wins the flattery contest.

It also helped that the show had one of the best title themes ever.  I can still remember hearing that theme every week and feeling "this next hour is going to be great."

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

I never even watched the show and I remember that theme.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.