The Chalice From The Palace
0 (0%)
The Vessel With The Pestle
2 (28.6%)
The Flagon With The Dragon
5 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Savonarola

RIP Angela Lansbury.  (I didn't realize she was still alive, or that she was only 96.  Even in the early 60s she was playing Elvis's mother.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

RIP :( Put me on the "I didn't know she was still around" list. Fond memories of watching Murder She Wrote at my grandparents' when I was a kid.

Think I'll watch Manchurian Candidate, where she's 1) amazing and nasty  2) plays the mother of somebody who's just 3 years her junior  :lol:

Crazy_Ivan80

No more bedknobs and broomsticks.....

Sheilbh

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 11, 2022, 04:22:12 PMNo more bedknobs and broomsticks.....
First thing that came to mind for me too. That VHS was on heavy rotation when I was a kid :(
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 11, 2022, 04:39:23 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 11, 2022, 04:22:12 PMNo more bedknobs and broomsticks.....
First thing that came to mind for me too. That VHS was on heavy rotation when I was a kid :(

That was the movie that taught me about the existence of the Home Guard  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on October 11, 2022, 04:16:50 PMRIP :( Fond memories of watching Murder She Wrote at my grandparents' when I was a kid.

RIP
Not so fond memories of that show with the village community having the criminality of the metropolis in a middle of a civil war.
Good memories however of a Hollywood version of the Three Musketeers and the Manchurian Candidate. Time to revisit Company of the Wolves I guess (saw a UHD coming soon in the US).
Speaking of HD, Murder she Wrote was released on blu-ray in France, or rather a integral release was attempted since they stopped after season 6. Fanbase was either dead (most popular show for people around  60 in the '80s) and/or the elderly are not too fond of blu-ray/HD.

Sheilbh

Incidentally some footage of her grandfather, George Lansbury, addressing a rally as Labour Party leader in the thirties. I think Angela Lansbury would have been 8 at the time:
https://twitter.com/northumbriana/status/1580102694710423553?s=46&t=F1GLEUCX0lO-Aj6K5ZPN0w

Lansbury's an extreme example but I always find stuff like this amazing because it is just an utterly different world that she linked/lived.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Contrary to some information going around on the internet, Angela Lansbury did NOT appear in the 1944 movie Gaslight.

RIP though.  For some reason never saw Bedrooms and Broomsticks, largely know her from Murder, She Wrote which my mother loved in the 80s.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on October 12, 2022, 10:31:42 AMContrary to some information going around on the internet, Angela Lansbury did NOT appear in the 1944 movie Gaslight.

Oh you. ^_^
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

It doesn't look like Languish, as a whole, will be doing well in the royal tournament.   :(

I haven't seen The Court Jester in a very long time.  I remembered that Angela Lansbury was in it; and given her subsequent career I assumed she was the witch.  Rewatching that scene I see she was the princess. (:Embarrass:)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

I actually remember her most from the Pirates of Penzance with Kevin Kline as a kid. Just goes to show that if you put pirates in something any kid will like it, even a musical.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."