News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP Leszek Kolakowski

Started by The Minsky Moment, July 23, 2009, 03:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-leszek-kolakowski21-2009jul21,0,2982668.story

One of the very few true "public intellectuals" of the modern era, and almost always good for a quotable line.  Had kind of fallen off the radar since the 80s but was still quite active.  His last book is actually pretty decent cliff notes type summary of the history of philosophy.

meanwhile, if I  change my sig, I'll try to make sure to pick someone young or already dead.  Don't want to jinx anyone.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Darth Wagtaros

The guy who played Barth in You Can't Do That on Television is also dead. 
PDH!

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

derspiess

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 23, 2009, 03:50:44 PM
The guy who played Barth in You Can't Do That on Television is also dead. 

:o  :cry:

RIP Barth. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Strix

Gidget the Taco Bell dog died of a massive stroke at 15 on Tuesday.

Yo quiero Gidget! RIP
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

The Minsky Moment

This was not quite the response I had expected.   :(
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 23, 2009, 04:40:36 PM
This was not quite the response I had expected.   :(
Comparing the death of someone you admire with the death of a unkown actor and a dog is something you should have expected from Languish :p
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

A towering intellectual who advocated a free Poland on the one hand; the Taco Bell dog on the other.

Which do *you* think left a bigger mark on the average Languishista?  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Celebrities really need to space our their deaths more carefully.  This was a very busy month, and death fatigue has throroughly set it.  At this point it would practically take the tragic death of a major politician for us to care. 

Razgovory

What did you expect?

Oh and you should put an Osama bin Laden quote in you Sig.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

The name rings a bell.  Was he in Combat! or Sgt. Rock?

Barrister

I thought he defrauded Tycho shareholders.   :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2009, 05:02:07 PM
Oh and you should put an Osama bin Laden quote in you Sig.

Worth a shot . . .
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on July 23, 2009, 05:09:29 PM
I thought he defrauded Tycho shareholders.   :huh:

Anyone foolish enough to invest in a lunar crater deserves what they get.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on July 23, 2009, 04:50:02 PM
Celebrities really need to space our their deaths more carefully.  This was a very busy month, and death fatigue has throroughly set it.  At this point it would practically take the tragic death of a major politician for us to care.

Or Erin Andrews.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014