Ship ahoy or How to get to London the difficult way

Started by Threviel, June 12, 2022, 09:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on July 05, 2022, 09:14:44 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 05, 2022, 08:46:37 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 05, 2022, 08:40:16 AMNaval reading:

https://www.amazon.com/Rules-Game-Jutland-British-Command/dp/014198032X/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1657028394&sr=1-3

Yeah, but that's a preyty hefty volume to be carrying around on a cruise.

For Age of Sail naval reading, nothing tops the Bolitho series.  To Glory We Steer is probably the best, but Command a King's Ship and Passage to Mutiny are right up there, and can be slipped into a pocket when necessary.  In passing, I'd note that "Alexander Kent" is a pseudonym for Douglas Reeman, if you've read any of his books.

How would you compare the Bolitho series the Hornblower and Aubrey-Maturin series?

I liked them a lot better than either, though the Horblower series can be excused a bit because it is so old and almost classic.  The Bolitho books are not as self-indulgent as the O'Brian books, though that's understandable as they are aimed at a different audience.  The Bolitho books are action novels, not character novels.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on July 05, 2022, 08:46:37 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 05, 2022, 08:40:16 AMNaval reading:

https://www.amazon.com/Rules-Game-Jutland-British-Command/dp/014198032X/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1657028394&sr=1-3

Yeah, but that's a preyty hefty volume to be carrying around on a cruise.

For Age of Sail naval reading, nothing tops the Bolitho series.  To Glory We Steer is probably the best, but Command a King's Ship and Passage to Mutiny are right up there, and can be slipped into a pocket when necessary.  In passing, I'd note that "Alexander Kent" is a pseudonym for Douglas Reeman, if you've read any of his books.
Kindle is your friend.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Threviel

I did consider Castles of Steel, seeing as I'll sail in those waters. But it's a bit dated and perhaps a bit too much book.

Good book ideas so far, this'll ruin me.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on July 05, 2022, 10:09:38 PMI liked them a lot better than either, though the Horblower series can be excused a bit because it is so old and almost classic.  The Bolitho books are not as self-indulgent as the O'Brian books, though that's understandable as they are aimed at a different audience.  The Bolitho books are action novels, not character novels.

Threviel

So... BA cancelled our flights. A huge flurry of panic later we got some new ones, worse fly-out time and somewhat better home.

Travelling in these post-covid times seems to be more adventurous than I'm used to. I hope there'll be no more of this shit.

crazy canuck

It's getting pretty bad here.  Lots of flights getting cancelled - baggage going missing for days, etc.

As for the long term, it does not look good.  The number of pilots needed is expanding rapidly.  None were trained over the last couple of years.  World wide a large percentage of pilots are over 40.  The trend lines do not look good for people looking for convenient air travel.

On the bright side, less air travel means less carbon emissions - so if you are a glass half full kind of guy... 

Threviel

I'm reading up on Heathrow and it's quite clear that Heathrow has the possibility to become a huge problem. There are reports of BA flights going around with only luggage that's been missed in the chaos.

We'll pack everything necessary for a few days in cabin bags and I guess we'll have to buy clothes if our luggage gets lost. Going home is not as critical, but it sure wouldn't be fun if our luggage takes a month.

My training and dieting s going ok. I've dropped about 5 kg (0.8 stone) down to 79.5, which is good enough I guess. Still two weeks and some to go but today is my last day at work and my vacation starts which usually means a bit more wine and snacks than usual. I aim for 77 or so, but it's doubtful if I'll get there.

I haven't been able to swim 4 times a week cause my shoulder is bothering me, but three times is good enough. I have been continuing with my stone retaining wall around the garage, but I'm thinking of pausing that, I do not want to get my fingers between two huge rocks right now.

I am probably in the best shape I've been in my adult life, swimming two-three times a week for two years have done wonders.

The Larch

Quote from: Threviel on July 15, 2022, 12:47:35 AMI'm reading up on Heathrow and it's quite clear that Heathrow has the possibility to become a huge problem. There are reports of BA flights going around with only luggage that's been missed in the chaos.

We'll pack everything necessary for a few days in cabin bags and I guess we'll have to buy clothes if our luggage gets lost. Going home is not as critical, but it sure wouldn't be fun if our luggage takes a month.

Heathrow is indeed going through a really rough patch this summer, and having tons of issues with lost luggage. There are pics around the net of their luggage processing sites absolutely swamped. I wouldn't check in anything that you counted on for the trip.

Josquius

I've had a flight via Heathrow cancelled twice in the past week now. Seems quite a mess.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

It's chaos. Apparently the smaller London airports are okay (I hope so - I'm flying from one tonight  :ph34r:) but, from friends, Heathrow and Gatwick are just broken right now.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Didn't Heathrow put a cap or a moratorium on flights until September in order to try to rein in the situation?

Oexmelin

I flew in to Gatwick, and the whole process of customs + luggage retrieval took about 15 mins...
Que le grand cric me croque !

Threviel

Ouch, should have taken Ryanair then. We, perhaps wrongly, assumed that BA would handle it better and it felt better to go with a serious airline since costs were about equal.

The Larch

Luggage handling is more of an airport thing rather than an airline thing, so it'd depend to which airport Ryanair would take you. Stansted, I assume?

Threviel

Quote from: The Larch on July 15, 2022, 07:16:45 AMLuggage handling is more of an airport thing rather than an airline thing, so it'd depend to which airport Ryanair would take you. Stansted, I assume?

Stanstead IIRC, but irrelevant now, tickets are paid and we won't change.