News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Finland, Sweden + NATO

Started by Jacob, April 13, 2022, 12:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Solmyr on May 30, 2023, 04:00:20 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 29, 2023, 12:08:56 PMSince Erdolf 'won' the 'elections' in Turkey I guess we can bury Swedish membership for the forseeable future.

Also wouldn't mind if EU countries evicted Turks that voted for Erdolf so they can enjoy the fruits of their choice instead of ruining our societies. Not that that will happen of course

People who want to expel someone for voting for the wrong guy probably belong in Erdogan's Turkey even more.

Ah the Paradox of tolerance
██████
██████
██████

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Solmyr on May 30, 2023, 04:00:20 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 29, 2023, 12:08:56 PMSince Erdolf 'won' the 'elections' in Turkey I guess we can bury Swedish membership for the forseeable future.

Also wouldn't mind if EU countries evicted Turks that voted for Erdolf so they can enjoy the fruits of their choice instead of ruining our societies. Not that that will happen of course

People who want to expel someone for voting for the wrong guy probably belong in Erdogan's Turkey even more.

that's your opinion.
at the very least double nationality should be outlawed. No right to vote in elections of two countries, no right to hold political office while holding a passport of another.

OttoVonBismarck

Yeah, I generally would agree you shouldn't be eligible to vote in the elections of two different countries. You can either be a resident non-citizen ex-patriate of Country A, but continue to vote in your home country B, or you can naturalize in Country A and vote there--disqualifying you from voting in Country B.

I don't really mind dual citizenship, but as a matter of policy I think non-resident dual citizens should be disallowed voting (obviously this is a decision each country should make for itself, it's not something binding supranationally.)

Sheilbh

I'm the other end. I like Scotland's system where anyone who has lawful right to residence is allowed to vote - which is a bit broader than England where it's Commonwealth citizens (and proposals to extend it to EU citizens too).

All residents are paying taxes and part of our society so should have representation in it - and I don't really care if they also vote in other elections.

No issue with dual citizenship either (as a dual citizen :lol:).
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

I think dual citizenship is a pragmatic solution, but it IS fundamentally weird since you can't serve two masters.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

It's more of a problem when you vote twice (double electoral weight) for the same master, as in European Parliament elections. :whistle:  :P

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 30, 2023, 12:54:59 PMI'm the other end. I like Scotland's system where anyone who has lawful right to residence is allowed to vote - which is a bit broader than England where it's Commonwealth citizens (and proposals to extend it to EU citizens too).

Convenient they do that now after cheating them out of their rights to vote on European matters in 2016.
██████
██████
██████

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 30, 2023, 12:54:59 PMI'm the other end. I like Scotland's system where anyone who has lawful right to residence is allowed to vote - which is a bit broader than England where it's Commonwealth citizens (and proposals to extend it to EU citizens too).

All residents are paying taxes and part of our society so should have representation in it - and I don't really care if they also vote in other elections.

You can't really have a vested stake in two societies. If you're a Turkish citizen who is also a German citizen (if that's even allowed), you all but certainly have your primary interests in one of the two countries. If your residence is in Germany, we can assume it is Germany--and you shouldn't be voting in Turkish elections, you have no meaningful stake in the country as you don't live there.

The electorate should largely be made up of people who have a vested stake in society.

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Brain on May 30, 2023, 12:55:07 PMI think dual citizenship is a pragmatic solution, but it IS fundamentally weird since you can't serve two masters.

What if I consider myself master of my own domain?

The Brain

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 30, 2023, 07:42:57 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 30, 2023, 12:55:07 PMI think dual citizenship is a pragmatic solution, but it IS fundamentally weird since you can't serve two masters.

What if I consider myself master of my own domain?

You can't serve three masters either.

garbon

Since you can't even pick your first citizenship, I'm not sure why it should be framed in terms of serving a master.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 30, 2023, 02:46:18 PM

You can't really have a vested stake in two societies. If you're a Turkish citizen who is also a German citizen (if that's even allowed), you all but certainly have your primary interests in one of the two countries. If your residence is in Germany, we can assume it is Germany--and you shouldn't be voting in Turkish elections, you have no meaningful stake in the country as you don't live there.

The electorate should largely be made up of people who have a vested stake in society.

A person could easily be interested in both American and British society or American and Canadian.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

People can have strong ties to multiple geographic locations nowadays. Also, viewing citizenship as "serving a master" sounds... trumpish.

Josquius

Banning multiple citizenship should be against international law.

For voting abroad... there it gets more complicated and more into opinion. But there I'd say presidential systems are dumb and shouldn't exist and that constituencies should exist for citizens abroad - considerably larger in size than regular national constituencies. For instance though you might get 50k to a normal constituency, the citizens abroad electorate more like 500k.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on May 31, 2023, 02:07:26 AM

Since you can't even pick your first citizenship, I'm not sure why it should be framed in terms of serving a master.

Many citizenships require you by law to do things. These things may be mutually exclusive.