Which Movie Sequel Had the Biggest INCREASE in Quality?

Started by Admiral Yi, April 09, 2022, 02:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I can only think of two that are even debateable.  Godfather II and Aliens.

Sheilbh

Dark Knight springs to mind. I didn't hate Batman Begins but Dark Knight is far, far better.

I prefer Terminator 2. Paddington 2 is also, I think, better than Paddington - as with Dark Knight because of an astounding performance by the main villain :lol:

Wrath of Khan and Empire Strikes back too? :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Godfather II? Why? The first is already a master piece, the second just continued that.  :hmm:

Duque de Bragança

Mad Max II is the textbook example. First Mad Max being pre-apocalypse while the second defined the post-apocalyptic genre in pop culture. Countless rip-offs followed be it in the US, Philippines, Italy etc.

I like Star Trek the motion picture (rushed production and SFX being redone/eventually finished for the upcoming 4K release  :D)  but the Wrath of Khan is a classic.

Empire strikes back is the best of the three, and there is a jump in quality compared to the first one but not a huge one.

Nolan's Batman movies are overrated IMO but the second did not seem as ridiculous as the others.

Josquius

Mad Max 2 is probably the answer here.

Thor Ragnaorok deserves a shout out too. Or is 3rd films a different thing?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on April 09, 2022, 02:18:12 PMGodfather II? Why? The first is already a master piece, the second just continued that.  :hmm:

When I started the thread I really couldn't think of any out and out improvements, so I mentioned the two I did because they were the only two I could think of in which a case could plausibly be made that the second is better.

Admiral Yi

I also don't get the implied disdain for Star Wars I.  It's ossum.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Also, are we sticking to Part twos'? Otherwise the Mad Max saga could score twice with Fury Road. And I would also put forward The Good, the Bad & The Ugly.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Fury Road's sequel has yet to be filmed, I thought.

In any case, I think that my vote would be for The Dark KnightBatman Begins was borderline lame, and TDK was brilliant.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on April 09, 2022, 03:49:47 PMAlso, are we sticking to Part twos'? Otherwise the Mad Max saga could score twice with Fury Road. And I would also put forward The Good, the Bad & The Ugly.

No rules!  Let anarchy reign!