News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Greatest Song of All Time

Started by FunkMonk, April 08, 2022, 08:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

What is the greatest song of all time?

No formal criteria of course. Any genre, any era, any reason. Just tell us your choice for the greatest song of all time and why.

I submit:

Quotehttps://youtu.be/3JWTaaS7LdU
Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You

Her absolutely stunning voice, of course, raises this song from merely good to an indisputable classic. The song starts soft and crescendos into brilliant highs, a perfectly crafted piece of pop entertainment that actually manages to tug at the heart with its simple lyrics. Her voice does all the work.

It thoroughly encapsulates late 80s/early 90s-era schmaltz and I love it. And it's always absolute scenes when someone at a party or at karaoke or something try to match Whitney's notes at the end  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

This is not the greatest thread in the world; this is just a tribute. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Richard Hakluyt

I submit Bob Dylan's Tangled up in blue. Its about a guy fucking up a romantic relationship, probably THE romantic relationship of his life, by being a bit of a twat (maybe?) or perhaps just life getting in the way. He's going to give it another go but somehow one doesn't feel optimistic about the likely outcome.

frunk

Quote from: Syt on April 08, 2022, 08:25:57 AMThis is not the greatest thread in the world; this is just a tribute. :P

:lol:

I don't think I can pick a single song.  Too many different types of music, too many reasons for listening.

celedhring

Yeah, I'm not sure what to put forward.

I will instead provide my favorite song, "Heroes" by Bowie. It has meant different things in different stages of my life, but it's always been there.

I could also get more hipsterish and go with Waterloo Sunset.

Syt

I don't think I could even pick a favorite song, let alone a "greatest" one. There's a lot of songs I think are awesome, and there's others that were seminal in one way or other, that it's really, really difficult to nail it down. Not to mention I hardly know what's been in the charts in the past 20 years. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Similar - I feel like it probably would be a Bowie song but I'm not sure which. So, if not Bowie, I'd probably go for Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill (but basically all of Hounds of Love):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp43OdtAAkM

Just an absolute banger :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Ba-ha Men- Who let the dogs out?

:P

But, seriously... Anything off the Phil Collins album, "But, Seriously..."

:P x2

Ok, ok. Beethoven's 5th, final answer.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Just because you know how to play it doesn't make it the greatest.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Bobby Hatfield of the righteous Brothers singing Unchained Melody, first time live in the 1960s. Amazing singer, amazing voice.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

Yeah, it's tough separating "greatest" from "favorite" so I just left it open to interpretation. I also think it's interesting to see what other people think about songs I myself may not actually like.

And making a Languish playlist of the greatest songs ever is funny to me  :lol:

ALL BANGERS, ALL THE TIME
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 08, 2022, 08:11:17 AMWhat is the greatest song of all time?

No formal criteria of course. Any genre, any era, any reason. Just tell us your choice for the greatest song of all time and why.

I submit:

Quotehttps://youtu.be/3JWTaaS7LdU
Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You

Her absolutely stunning voice, of course, raises this song from merely good to an indisputable classic. The song starts soft and crescendos into brilliant highs, a perfectly crafted piece of pop entertainment that actually manages to tug at the heart with its simple lyrics. Her voice does all the work.

It thoroughly encapsulates late 80s/early 90s-era schmaltz and I love it. And it's always absolute scenes when someone at a party or at karaoke or something try to match Whitney's notes at the end  :lol:

Certainly the greatest voice of all time.