News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Hoops: 2021-2022

Started by Berkut, February 21, 2022, 01:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 23, 2022, 01:17:05 PM
Gard got into Howard's face first - the only that that saved the short dumpy white guy from the same criticism is he lacks the same athleticism and wing span of Howard to come out the better in the scrum that ensued. 

Are you claiming that Gard tried to hit someone and was too white and dumpy to manage it?

I mean...ok? I don't see that in the video at all, and like I said, could not give a single shit about Gard or Wisconsin. I am not sure what you are trying to say here - I think Howard got suspended for 4 games and Gard did not because it is pretty damn clear Howard was the instigator for the entire mess.

My only position here is that I think the penalty on Howard was too light, at least insofar as I look at Michigan and what they claim to stand for. If *you* want to argue it was too harsh because Howard is such a great athlete and kicks ass, I don't really know that there is much for us to debate. I also made no claims about the "innocence" of who Howard chose to hit - why are you just making shit up about what I said?

It is rather odd that the apologists say that Howard lost his temper and hit someone in response to Gard "getting in his face", but he actually didn't even hit Gard, he hit someone else entirely, and several seconds later.

Did you actually watch the video?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on February 23, 2022, 01:26:55 PM
I make my own judgements about what ought to have happened in both cases. I am equally powerless to effect either of them.

I think they both should have been fired. Which I said rather clearly.

I don't understand your question. Are you asking me why I am still an Arizona fan despite them not firing Miller?

I went to school there. No reason other then that. But I am quite capable of evaluating the actions of my alma mater without the need to defend them when they do something I think is wrong.

Yeah, not so clear -  you said you were "ambivalent" about him staying on and then contradicted yourself in the same post  - and so my question.  Why ambivalent in a case where the coach should clearly be shown the door and yet take a strong position that a coach should be fired in the Howard case.  The fact that you are a die hard fan of one team is probably a factor.

Valmy

When my wife told me about this she got confused and said Michigan State instead so for a few minutes I thought Tom Izzo started a brawl :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 23, 2022, 02:10:54 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 23, 2022, 01:26:55 PM
I make my own judgements about what ought to have happened in both cases. I am equally powerless to effect either of them.

I think they both should have been fired. Which I said rather clearly.

I don't understand your question. Are you asking me why I am still an Arizona fan despite them not firing Miller?

I went to school there. No reason other then that. But I am quite capable of evaluating the actions of my alma mater without the need to defend them when they do something I think is wrong.

Yeah, not so clear -  you said you were "ambivalent" about him staying on and then contradicted yourself in the same post  - and so my question.  Why ambivalent in a case where the coach should clearly be shown the door and yet take a strong position that a coach should be fired in the Howard case.  The fact that you are a die hard fan of one team is probably a factor.

Then I did not express myself well.

I thought he should be fired when the ESPN story came out that claimed there was a recording of him on the phone discussing paying Ayton $100,000 to play at Arizona - ASSUMING THAT STORY WAS TRUE.

It turns out the story is not true, and Arizona suspended Miller when it broke pending their investigation. They investigated (whatever that means) and re-instated Miller.

At that point, I was ambivalent. The fire turned out to not be the fire everyone thought, but IMO there was almost certainly a hell of a lot of smoke, and it seemed unlikely to me that there was a scenario where Miller was blameless.

Since then, more has been learned, but there is still a lot unknown. The more we learned, the more it became pretty clear that the set of possible "best case" scenarios were all variants of either outright firing offenses, or lack of institutional control. I thought Miller should have been fired a couple years ago, once more information came out.

My ambivalence was around the time between the breaking of the ESPN story, since it was pretty clear that whatever happened, ESPN totally fucked up the reporting.

I am an Arizona fan, which means I paid a lot more attention to all of this then I would have had I been a Michigan fan. But I don't think me being an Arizona fan means I have Sean Miller more leash then I would have otherwise (except that had I not been a fan I likely would have just accepted the ESPN story on face value).

Obviously the Miller saga is a lot more complex then Howard. We still don't know what actually happened.

But to be completely clear, I think Arizona should have fired Sean Miller a long time ago, and they would have had they had the same values around sportsmanship and character in relation to college athletics that I value.

I don't think being an Arizona fan has made me more sympathetic to Sean Miller at all - quite the opposite in fact. I would much rather my alma mater was a lot less tolerant of shitty character then the baseline of what is acceptable in college athletics.

And I can assure you that if Tommy Lloyd attacks another coach after a game, I will call for him to be fired as well. And will likely be ignored, because nobody appears to give a shit these days.

0 rows returned

crazy canuck

crazy canuck

I have the Zags, Baylor, Villanova and Auburn in the final four with the Zags and Villanova playing for it all - Zags winning.

Berkut

I don't see anyone beating Arizona other then Gonzaga and Arizona.

0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on March 16, 2022, 02:07:51 PMI don't see anyone beating Arizona other then Gonzaga and Arizona.

:lol:

Grey Fox

I gave Arizona to Houston in the Sweet Sixteen but I think Seton Hall has a chance.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Losing the Tourney to COVID in 2020 when they were scheduled to host their bracket in their own field house as the #1 seed, last year's folding chair act to Baylor made Gonzaga Nation howl even more.  It was a two-fer of pain the last two seasons. 

I would like to think things happen in threes.

crazy canuck

So far I have picked everything correctly except Richmond.  But what the hell Seedy! What have you done to the Zags!

crazy canuck

The Seedy curse was only strong enough to last half the game.  A good half time speech dispelled it.

Berkut

Oh man, I am torn. I would much rather see Michigan win in general, but at the same time, nothing would make me happier then getting Tennessee on a neutral court in the NCAA tournament.

0 rows returned

Grey Fox

A 15-2 upset is happening.

Damn it, I had UK in my final 4.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 17, 2022, 08:34:01 PMA 15-2 upset is happening.

Damn it, I had UK in my final 4.
Wow. This is one hell of a ending...

0 rows returned