Yes - and I didn't.
0 (0%)
No.
11 (44%)
Don't know/can't remember.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Sheilbh

Prompted by the Governor of the BofE's pleas to the British people to not ask for a bit pay rise - and some polling by YouGov:

I have never asked for a payrise :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

I voted Yes & I got one.

But I ask for one almost every year. I usually don't get it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Nope, but have received several quite significant increases (beyond what I would have asked for myself :P ) when changing positions.

Austrian custom does give annual cost of living increases in most companies, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

Have, and have gotten them. But the largest raises have always come from my job bouncing around.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

I never asked directly, as in walking into the manager's office and going "Yo, gimme a raise".  That said, one year, during the annual review, I was informed that I would again be getting no raise, because no one in the company was.  I was also getting no raise for getting my designation, because I wasn't eligible for one.  I was asked what I thought about that, and I answered that I was wondering why I'm still working in this company.  Two weeks later I got a significant raise.

Habbaku

Quote from: DGuller on February 08, 2022, 10:47:00 AMI was asked what I thought about that, and I answered that I was wondering why I'm still working in this company.

:cheers:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Strictly speaking no, although I have asked for promotions a couple of times, once subtly once in a fairly agitated state. :D Worked both times.

The Larch

No, but I've never really been in a position to ask for one.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Zoupa

Same as GF. I'm surprised at the 52% that have never asked, wtf.

DGuller

Quote from: Zoupa on February 08, 2022, 11:58:26 AM
A lot of people are bad negotiators, and for things like that they're also up against trained negotiators who often have a lot more power in the relationship.  Being a good negotiator requires some tolerance for conflict. 

It's particularly tricky in this situation, because the person you'll be negotiating with is not a salesman that you didn't know yesterday and won't interact with tomorrow, but a person you need to maintain a good relationship with.  I think on a societal level it's a bad policy to require workers to have good negotiating skills to get their fair share, and negotiating is in general a wasteful zero-sum game.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on February 08, 2022, 12:05:58 PM
I think on a societal level it's a bad policy to require workers to have good negotiating skills to get their fair share, and negotiating is in general a wasteful zero-sum game.

We've talked about this before, and I still disagree completely. Without negotiation you are very unlikely to happen to hit on a good price.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zoupa on February 08, 2022, 11:58:26 AM
A lot of people are bad negotiators, and for things like that they're also up against trained negotiators who often have a lot more power in the relationship.  Being a good negotiator requires some tolerance for conflict. 
I think that's why 52% of Brits have never asked for one.

I would struggle with it internally - which is weird because a lot of my job is negotiations which can absolutely involve conflict and friction but I'd struggle with people I work with.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on February 08, 2022, 12:13:17 PM
I think on a societal level it's a bad policy to require workers to have good negotiating skills to get their fair share, and negotiating is in general a wasteful zero-sum game.

We've talked about this before, and I still disagree completely. Without negotiation you are very unlikely to happen to hit on a good price.
Yes, I remember, and I guess I still disagree completely as well.  I think negotiation is a wasteful activity unless you're engaging in unique deals where there is no market price to anchor on, and I think it's a zero-sum game that lets the powerful entities scoop up most of the economic surplus from the deal.