India Arie shares videos of Joe Rogan using N-word

Started by garbon, February 05, 2022, 05:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

https://metro.co.uk/2022/02/04/india-arie-shares-videos-of-joe-rogan-using-n-word-as-she-leaves-spotify-16051925/

QuoteIndia Arie is the latest artist to ask for her music to be taken off Spotify in the row against Joe Rogan, with the singer sharing videos of the podcaster using the N-word.

The Grammy-winner also elaborated on a recent statement, which comes after musicians like Neil Young and Joni Mitchell took their music off Spotify, citing Rogan's spreading of misinformation about the Covid-19 vaccine as their reason.

Arie shared various clips of Rogan using the slur and said she 'empathises with the people who are leaving for Covid misinformation reasons.'

Referring to the clips of Rogan using the N-word, Arie said her position was that he 'shouldn't even be uttering the word, don't even say it under any context'.

She mentioned reports that Rogan signed a $100million (£73million) deal with Spotify, and claimed the company pays musicians a fraction of what they should be paid despite music being the 'backbone of the service'.

She went on to claim that that money is being invested into creators like Rogan and asked: 'What if we all leave?'

'Do what you want but take me off,' she added. 'Or, pay me too. And I don't just mean me. Us, artists like me. Pay artists of colour too.'

Arie had previously shared a statement saying: 'I have decided to pull my music and podcast from Spotify.

'Neil Young opened a door that I must walk through. I believe in freedom of speech. However, I find Joe Rogan problematic for reasons other than his Covid interviews.

'For me it's also his language around race. What I am talking about is respect – who gets it and who doesn't.

'Paying musicians a fraction of a penny and him $100m? This shows the type of company they are and the company they keep. I'm tired.'

Rogan has previously addressed allegations of racism against him, saying: 'It's not real racism, it's a joke. There's a difference.'

Comedian-turned-MMA commentator Rogan is behind Spotify's most popular podcast, with an estimated 11million listeners per episode, and has faced criticism for his views on the Covid-19 vaccine, including him previously urging 'young, healthy' people not to get jabbed.

In response, various artists have demanded their music is taken down from Spotify.

In a lengthy video, Rogan responded by saying: 'I'm not trying to promote misinformation, I'm not trying to be controversial. I've never tried to do anything with this podcast other than just talk to people and have interesting conversations.'

I don't think I ever expected her name to be in international news again. Nor did I expect she'd be the one bringing fire against Rogan.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

This week I learned who Joe rogan is.

I thought the problem was transphobia rather than swearing?
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on February 05, 2022, 05:28:22 AM
This week I learned who Joe rogan is.

I thought the problem was transphobia rather than swearing?

Also providing a big platform to e.g. people spreading misinformation about Covid 19.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Rogan is a long time nut who became inexplicably popular.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

I have never heard of India Arie, if I read correctly her problem isn't that Rogan uses the N-word or spreads misinformation, but that he gets paid more?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

India is offering Spotify a deal.  Pay me more, and I'll let Joe Rogan say nigger.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on February 05, 2022, 10:47:32 AM
I have never heard of India Arie, if I read correctly her problem isn't that Rogan uses the N-word or spreads misinformation, but that he gets paid more?

No, I very much doubt that given India Arie left the mainstream long ago.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on February 05, 2022, 05:36:18 AM
Also providing a big platform to e.g. people spreading misinformation about Covid 19.
Isn't it a bit different with the podcasts though? From my understanding Spotify paid loads of money to already very popular podcasts for them to move exclusively onto Spotify.

If Spotify ends that deal all that happens is those podcasts go back to the podcast app (where they probably had a larger platform ironically) and would probably still be available on Spotify.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Spotify was in a bind, revenue had stagnated and it still wasn't profitable. The solution to that is the increase revenue from the stream of lucrative ads attached to podcasts.

They currently are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 05, 2022, 12:15:14 PM
Spotify was in a bind, revenue had stagnated and it still wasn't profitable. The solution to that is the increase revenue from the stream of lucrative ads attached to podcasts.

They currently are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Well, what they were looking for was a way to get "exclusive content" - podcasting isn't really going to move the needle financially-wise, compared to music it's still a pretty small earner. One of their problems is that music streaming platforms, as opposed to video streaming, pretty much have all the same catalog. It's very hard to differentiate.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 05, 2022, 12:11:13 PM
Quote from: Syt on February 05, 2022, 05:36:18 AM
Isn't it a bit different with the podcasts though? From my understanding Spotify paid loads of money to already very popular podcasts for them to move exclusively onto Spotify.

If Spotify ends that deal all that happens is those podcasts go back to the podcast app (where they probably had a larger platform ironically) and would probably still be available on Spotify.

I think Tyr was identifying one of the problems with Rogan, not the Spotify platform.  Spotify bought his large audience with the exclusive deal.  One of the significant problems with Rogan is he does provide a big platform to people who spread misinformation on a number of topics.  The one that has gotten people's attention is the idiocy he and his guests spout about COVID.  His defense is he brings on all points of view.  It is the absurdity where a complete misunderstanding of the limits of freedom of expression has gotten us.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on February 05, 2022, 12:24:10 PM
Well, what they were looking for was a way to get "exclusive content" - podcasting isn't really going to move the needle financially-wise, compared to music it's still a pretty small earner. One of their problems is that music streaming platforms, as opposed to video streaming, pretty much have all the same catalog. It's very hard to differentiate.

Good point.  I guess all they have is their suggestion algos.

garbon

As reported by Daily Mail
QuoteSpotify has taken down 113 episodes of The Joe Rogan Experience podcast from its platform as of Saturday night, after Rogan issued an apology for having used racial slurs on his platform in the past. 

JRE Missing, a website that automatically detects deleted episodes of Rogan's podcast, has been tracking the changes

Most of the pulled episodes were recorded before his recent COVID-19 controversy and involved far-right commentators - or outright conspiracy theorists - including Alex Jones, Milo Yiannopoulos, Owen Benjamin and Canadian writer Gavin Miles McInnes.

The Brain

Canadian writer? In the conspiracy nutjob system, some nationalities and occupations are considered especially heinous. These are their stories.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2022, 03:01:08 AM
Milo Yiannopoulos

What's that guy been up to? Seems things have gotten quiet around him.

I had a look what Gina Carano is up to on her Twitter, and it's gone pretty deep into the anti-mask/anti-vaxx bubble it seems like.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.