Would you go to a Christmas party with unvaccinated people?

Started by viper37, December 14, 2021, 02:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I have to decide this week where I'm going on the 24th.

3 options are laid before me:
- Big party, around 20 people, where I know for sure a family of 4 won't be vaccinated at all, due to the moronic husband being a conspiracy nut.  My goddaughter will be there, possibly all my nephews & nieces.  Local party.
- Smaller party <10, Quebec city, my younger cousin will be unvaccinated, but he's nearly hypochondriac, it's more a fear of needles and medications, to the point of panic attack that drives him to be this way.  As he lives mostly isolated from human contact, the risk is minimal.
- Stay home, play video games, go to bed early & totally drunk.

What would you do in my place?
I have a very fragile health and I'm still not over my latest pneumonia from last October.  I'm still having problem walking fast, climbing stairs, or walking upward on a small slope, I still have 3 different ashtma pumps + a rinse to use every day.

I'm disinclined to go with the extended family due to the conspiracy nut, but with all the meds I have to take and what I need to bring for a one night sleep over in Quebec city, and be back early the next day to be able to attend the next party 45 minutes away from home is also problematic.

I'm really tempted to just stay home, but I fear I'll never hear the end of it.  If it wasn't for the kids, I'd stay home.  But now...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

I wouldn't go to any parties with unvaccinated people out of principle.

En pratique, ton risque (étant toi-même vacciné) est minime.

Barrister

There are no hard-and-fast rules I say, but I would be wary about going to an indoor party during winter with unvaccinated people.  In particular the way you describe the one conspiracy nut, I would be afraid that person would show up even if they had symptoms, or would show up even with a positive Covid test (since it's all just a fraud anyways).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

To be honest I might already have - this may be British not talking about things and medicine/health being private - but I don't know who is or isn't vaccinated. I assume most if not all of my friends are and a few of us have talked about getting jabbed and everyone's very cautious talking about it at work.

Having said that my experience is that if people haven't been vaccinated they cannot wait to tell you so maybe I would know....

Personally it wouldn't be a factor for me - I've got my three doses - but for other reasons I'd probably swerve a party with a conspiracy nut :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

I will be going to one with 1 unvaccinated asshole. He's a asshole in other facets of life so I don't care if he gets it from us.

In your place, I would go to the Quebec city one.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 14, 2021, 02:29:45 PM
To be honest I might already have - this may be British not talking about things and medicine/health being private - but I don't know who is or isn't vaccinated. I assume most if not all of my friends are and a few of us have talked about getting jabbed and everyone's very cautious talking about it at work.

Talking about it at work is one thing.  I've only discussed vaxx status with 1-2 people I know well (although we are now required to provide proof of vaccination, or a negative Covid test every 3 days).

But I wouldn't be attending any holiday parties this year with people whom I don't know well enough to be comfortable asking them that otherwise personal question.  So in other words, I'd only be going to parties with family.

Well... I guess I am going to see my 8 year old niece who is unvaccinated (also her 2 year old sister, but she's not even eligible).  But <12 just became open in the last few weeks so I guess I'd make an exception there.

Valmy

Yes. I got vaccinated just so I could mingle with the unwashed masses in comparative safety.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 14, 2021, 02:29:45 PM

Having said that my experience is that if people haven't been vaccinated they cannot wait to tell you so maybe I would know....

Personally it wouldn't be a factor for me - I've got my three doses - but for other reasons I'd probably swerve a party with a conspiracy nut :lol:

I've been to several parties hosted by British people where only the vaccinated were invited and everyone had to show proof of a negative lateral flow. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on December 14, 2021, 02:37:49 PM
I've been to several parties hosted by British people where only the vaccinated were invited and everyone had to show proof of a negative lateral flow. :hmm:

The host is

Josquius

No. Not because of any fear of infection. But purely to avoid unvaccinated people.

I'm not sure where I stand with one acquaintance. For sure she is a far right conspiracy nut. But she also has health issues which I think mean she couldn't have gotten vaccinated anyway. Hmm.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

No, I think asking for proof of vaccination at the door, and announcing said policy in advance, is probably smart.

The unvaxxed will politely decline for some other reason.

The vaxxed then can relax and make merry more comfortably.

The only risk is if you invite some unvaxxed blowhard who wants to make a scene...

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on December 14, 2021, 03:16:56 PM
No. Not because of anti fear of infection. But purely to avoid unvaccinated people.

I simply don't ask. But I will tell, I always have my card.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on December 14, 2021, 03:18:48 PM
The only risk is if you invite some unvaxxed blowhard who wants to make a scene...

Always a concern in Austin. Weird anti-government and anti-institution paranoia goes deep here. It is the home of Alex Jones after all.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2021, 03:22:12 PM

Always a concern in Austin. Weird anti-government and anti-institution paranoia goes deep here. It is the home of Alex Jones after all.

Even there though - it's a private party in a private home.  It has nothing to do with government or institutions.

Habbaku

Always best to prune those folks out of your life anyway.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien