News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Wheel of Time (spoilers)

Started by Berkut, December 07, 2021, 11:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Well, I have watched the first 5 episodes, and I am pleasantly surprised.

Some notes and observations:

1. Having read maybe 2/3rds of the series a couple decades ago, the show is reminded me of just how rich and complex the story was - you have a pretty serious world with a lot of interesting players.
2. The production is overall very good. It should be, they spent enough money on it.
3. The complaints about the Fades and Trollocs are silly. They both look damn good, IMO.
4. There is some bog standard television dumbness. Somehow a bunch of 8 foot tall trollocs managed to crash an ongoing party and nobody noticed at all until one of them dramatically has its axe point burst through the throat of a party goer from behind? DUMB
4A. Darkfriend has our heroes "captured". Oh shocking, a knife appears in her throat!. UHHHH YOU ALREADY DID THAT ONE GUYS!
5. The acting is very uneven. Varies from mediocre to decent. So far none if it is good though, and I don't see anyone as immediately and obviously going to be good.
6. The casting is weak. None of the actors are particularly charismatic at all. Egwene, Rand, Nynaeve are all very blah. Mat is actually pretty good, but I heard he got fired or left after the first season.
7. Did Perrin have a wife he killed in the books? I don't remember that.....

Overall, despite my complaints, I am very much enjoying the show. And I expect as it goes on, the actors will improve as they settle into their roles.

Now, if only I can get over the angst of all those candles and the questions they demand answers to! Who makes all that wax? What kind of thread do they use for their wicks?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

HVC

Still,ok, not good not bad. Last episode was better though you could see the ending a mile away.  I like the leader of the white cloaks. Just enough over acting to be enjoyable.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

I have a weird feeling of "I should enjoy this but for some reason I don't" when watching it. I think the blah acting and ponderous dialogue are the main culprits. They have way too many "this is a character moment! Look at the serious dialogue!" scenes that just don't work and drag the whole thing down. Also, as Berkut points out, a fair share of dumb moments played for effect that take me out of the story.

The world and mythology seem intriguing enough (I only read the first book and that was 10+ years ago).

garbon

I continue to enjoy it. Sure it has some dumb moments many do in the scif-fi/fantasy genre.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on December 08, 2021, 04:04:50 AM
I continue to enjoy it. Sure it has some dumb moments many do in the scif-fi/fantasy genre.

I think GoT might have spoiled me. Until the final seasons, they seemed to hit every note just right.

Going back to WoT, I read they fired the guy playing Mat Cauthon. Has to be due to some off-set stuff, because he's easily the less bad of the young actors (although his character is the most interesting, too).

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on December 07, 2021, 11:36:32 PM

7. Did Perrin have a wife he killed in the books? I don't remember that.....

No, he did not.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on December 08, 2021, 04:32:10 AM
Going back to WoT, I read they fired the guy playing Mat Cauthon. Has to be due to some off-set stuff, because he's easily the less bad of the young actors (although his character is the most interesting, too).

We don't know whose choice it was to recast the role.  It is entirely possible that some health or personal reason forced Harris to give up the role.

It's hard to play a whiney character sympathetically, and was, IMO, beyond him and/or the writers.  Better luck with the next guy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: garbon on December 08, 2021, 04:04:50 AM
I think that's why I like reading fantasy more than watching it.  Actually hearing the dialogue by someone who is emoting it makes me cringe.
PDH!

The Minsky Moment

Now, if only I can get over the angst of all those candles and the questions they demand answers to! Who makes all that wax? What kind of thread do they use for their wicks?

The candles are nothing compared to the extraordinary travelling laundry and ironing facilities that the guys in the white robes must have.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Grey Fox

I've read the entire series.

I'm happy that they actually included the Forsaken. I was starting to doubt it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 08, 2021, 09:30:22 AM

The candles are nothing compared to the extraordinary travelling laundry and ironing facilities that the guys in the white robes must have.

LOL, no shit. I had not even thought of that. They are fucking *pristine* aren't they!

0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

One complaint I recall having about the books is the amount of time spent describing what people were wearing.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 08, 2021, 11:08:23 AM
One complaint I recall having about the books is the amount of time spent describing what people were wearing.
The ability to skip ahead a paragraph or 5 is important when reading WoT.

0 rows returned

Threviel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 08, 2021, 09:30:22 AM

Jokes aside this is the kind of lazy ass shit that ruins immersion in a lot of badly thought out shows. If the writers/producers/directors/whoever can't be bothered to think about this crap there'll probably be cracks the size of Grand Canyon in the story.

viper37

if Languish was to stop such things as discussing pointless, minor issues, what would be left of our community? :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.