News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is There 'A Hill You're Prepared To Die On' ?

Started by mongers, December 06, 2021, 09:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on December 06, 2021, 01:17:14 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 06, 2021, 01:02:53 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 06, 2021, 12:45:28 PM
The Last Jedi is a good movie.  Come fight me.

I tried to attack your position from outer space from my bomb bay but they won't drop.  Damn you Newton's laws.

And there's no sound in outer space, and ships don't move like WWII-era planes.

The Falcon does, because it's a modified B-29.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

TLJ had lots of good ideas but the execution was horribly flawed.  Especially the main plot line from beginning to end of the Resistance attack and the slow motion chase through space, full of silliness from scene 1 to the very end.

And yes SW is full of handwavey science fails but TLJ was unique in hinging key plot moments on logical inanities. It's not just the WWII style bomb dropping in space, it's the fact that the critical moment of the entire opening scene revolves around opening the bomb bay doors.  It's the heroic sacrifice of Holdo because a civilization capable of FtL travel and planet killing weapons can't rig a simple remote control to activate a hyperdrive on another ship.  Suspension of disbelief is one thing, repeatedly hitting the audience in the face with an iron anvil of disbelief is another.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Maladict

Quote from: The Brain on December 06, 2021, 12:40:55 PM
Quote from: Maladict on December 06, 2021, 12:31:03 PM
Having lots of books in your home, read or unread, is a good thing.

People who sleep in public libraries are the worst.

Someone here recommended Uniforms and Flags of the Imperial Austrian Army 1683-1720. :sleep:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I was okay with it.  I'm not a huge Star Wars fan so that might have made a difference.  I didn't care for the Rise of Skywalker one though.  Last quarter of the movie was filmed in the dark or something and I couldn't tell what was going on.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Maladict on December 06, 2021, 03:24:34 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 06, 2021, 12:40:55 PM
Quote from: Maladict on December 06, 2021, 12:31:03 PM
Having lots of books in your home, read or unread, is a good thing.

People who sleep in public libraries are the worst.

Someone here recommended Uniforms and Flags of the Imperial Austrian Army 1683-1720. :sleep:

Well you're a poopypants.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Marvin Gaye's album "What's Going On" is overrated.  All the songs, except "Inner City Blues" are variations on the title track.  It's a good album, and a fine last hurrah for The Funk Brothers before Motown's move to LA, but it is not the greatest album ever made (as Rolling Stone rated it on their latest version of Greatest Albums of all time) or in the top ten (as they had it on previous lists.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Razgovory

Does it have to be a hill?  Most of the hills in my area have crappy names. 

"Here lies Raz, buried where he fell on Hobo Hill."

I guess that is better than "Hog Alley"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on December 08, 2021, 05:03:47 PM

Better than the Netherlands, which only has one hill worth dying on.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: Savonarola on December 08, 2021, 04:56:31 PM
Marvin Gaye's album "What's Going On" is overrated.  All the songs, except "Inner City Blues" are variations on the title track.  It's a good album, and a fine last hurrah for The Funk Brothers before Motown's move to LA, but it is not the greatest album ever made (as Rolling Stone rated it on their latest version of Greatest Albums of all time) or in the top ten (as they had it on previous lists.)
Christ :o :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on December 08, 2021, 05:36:56 PM

In my case "buried where he fell" sounds more noble than the reality: "Dammit, If Raz falls in another hole he's too fat to get out of we are not digging him out.  We are just going to toss dirt on him.  Godamnit, there he goes again!  Get a shovel"

DGuller

If you're mortally wounded on a hill but die in the hospital, or die in the ambulance on the way to the hospital, does that still count as dying on a hill?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 08, 2021, 06:52:52 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on December 08, 2021, 04:56:31 PM
Christ :o :blink:

It's Rolling Stone, what do you expect?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on December 08, 2021, 05:36:56 PM

I do intend to be buried on one, although technically it's a moraine rather than a hill.
Although the thought of a lowland cemetery, to be submerged by the sea, is not entirely unappealing either. Plus, more land for the living.

Josquius

Cars.

Seriously fuck cars.

They destroyed society and are destroying the planet.
██████
██████
██████