Accuracy of the Various Gospels: Why Mark Uber Alles?

Started by Queequeg, July 22, 2009, 10:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

I was reading exerts from a rather interesting book called The Evolution of God today.  With regards to Christianity, the author, Robert Wright, presumes that the Gospel of Mark, being the oldest attested Gospel, gives the most accurate description of the life of Jesus and his teachings, concluding that all subsequent Gospels are attempts to market the faith to other religions.  Jesus was originally a fairly generic, if especially charismatic, Jewish attempted Messiah, the exception being that his 'cult' didn't die with his crucification.  Mark appears to play this up; there is little talk of love, heaven, brotherhood, etc....Wright presumes most of this was invented by Paul. 

This strikes me as highly suspect.  While I don't doubt that there was certainly that element in the teachings of Jesus and his early disciplines, it strikes me that the opposite case is almost as likely true; that Mark was meant for and written by Jews accustomed to the traditional Messiah claimant narrative of the period, and substantially altered the original text (including, of course, oral narratives) to fit this.  While I don't doubt that the Jesus of the other thee gospels is to varying degrees more Gentile friendly, I think something in the initial sermons must have been as well, as we find Christians in Rome just a lifetime after Jesus' death, perhaps within living memory.  I don't think Jesus' gospel was such a *fantastic* leap either; the Old Testament talks of charity and brotherhood for fellow Jews, why couldn't the initial Christians (including, most obviously, the big J himself) make this universal? 

I think Wright is going too far right here.  There is no reason Jesus couldn't have been a Syncretic Reformist Jew, instead of just another Messiah or a self conscious starter of another religion, as Aryan Paganism spawned not one but two (or arguably three, if you see Hinduism as different than an evolved, native form of Aryan Paganism) entirely distinct moral-religious reformers who ended up at the exact opposite conclusions.  A lot of Jesus' ideas were out there already, and I don't think it is that far of a stretch to presume that he start preaching to goyim, as in antiquity I think Judaism was far more of a postheletyzing faith than it is today (look at the Khazars, and the various Arab and Berber Jewish groups, presumably converts rather than migrated Jews.  Why couldn't Jesus have taken this to the next level, with Paul solidifying the goyification of mainstream Christianity, with offshoots like the Ariminians attesting to a more Jewish-oriented but still prostheletyzing time. 

Thoughts?  Objections?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Queequeg on July 22, 2009, 10:49:35 PM
as Aryan Paganism spawned not one but two (or arguably three, if you see Hinduism as different than an evolved, native form of Aryan Paganism) entirely distinct moral-religious reformers who ended up at the exact opposite conclusions.

Who are you referring to?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 22, 2009, 10:57:44 PM
as Aryan Paganism spawned not one but two (or arguably three, if you see Hinduism as different than an evolved, native form of Aryan Paganism) entirely distinct moral-religious reformers who ended up at the exact opposite conclusions.

I'm guessing Zoraoster and Buddha.  Maybe a Greek like Pythagoras.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Raz got it.  I don't know who exactly the reformer for Hinduism would be, there are a ton of important ones but no one sticks out. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

By  Ariminian I meant Ebionite and Paulician.  Whoops. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on July 22, 2009, 11:04:29 PM

Raz got it.  I don't know who exactly the reformer for Hinduism would be, there are a ton of important ones but no one sticks out.

As garbon once pointed out you're the only person here who is as crazy as me.  So it makes sense.  I think you could argue that Plato was a religious reformer his version of philosophical religion did have a big impact.

I avoid threads like this cause of Crazy Canuck.  Ever since he suggested I read the "Pagan Christ" I found these debates kinda vapid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

citizen k

I prefer the Gnostic Christ myself.
Knowlege>Faith

Razgovory

Quote from: citizen k on July 22, 2009, 11:33:42 PM
Knowlege>Faith

Gnostics were like Scientologists of ancient Rome.  You had to pay for each level of enlightenment.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2009, 12:54:09 AM
Quote from: citizen k on July 22, 2009, 11:33:42 PM
Knowlege>Faith

Gnostics were like Scientologists of ancient Rome.  You had to pay for each level of enlightenment.
They had better orgies than Scientologists.

Martinus

Anyways, Spellus, you need a girlfriend. Or a boyfriend. Of any species.

Viking

Is this where they are filming FoX's new series "When Berkuts Attack" ?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on July 23, 2009, 01:44:26 AM
Is this where they are filming FoX's new series "When Berkuts Attack" ?

That's about every thread these days.

The Brain

Let me turn the question around: why not Mark uber alles?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Quote from: Queequeg on July 22, 2009, 11:05:39 PM
By  Ariminian I meant Ebionite and Paulician.  Whoops.

That totally changes everything.