Do you own anything made in a Country that doesn't exist anymore?

Started by Grey Fox, November 24, 2021, 04:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Do share?

I own a hard boiled egg cutter made in West Germany.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

West Germany, i.e. the Federal Republic of Germany (the official title) still exists, since the GDR just joined the FRG, i.e. it's the same country, just larger. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on November 24, 2021, 04:23:37 PM
West Germany, i.e. the Federal Republic of Germany (the official title) still exists, since the GDR just joined the FRG, i.e. it's the same country, just larger. :P
The GDR was also always part of Germany, just under a different constitutional order. Germany considers itself the same country legally as the North German Federation that was founded after the Austro-Prussian War in 1867.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

I have an old movie camera made in the DDR.

A Yugoslavian bank note.

And if I looked through my mementos from my Erasmus in the Czech Republic I guess I would find something made in Czekoslovakia.

celedhring

Zanza

Was  Catalonia ever really a separate country? It's not the same as Aragon I guess...

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on November 24, 2021, 04:23:37 PM

I find it even more grating in Paris or major cities where you don't have to go very far to find the official names as in embassies and/or consulates.
The Federal Republic of Germany (RFA in French) not existing anymore is a common misconception. I either remind people they are mixing up with the GDR/RDA or tell them to use (West) Germany instead since East Germany was a puppet régime.  :P

Syt

I still have somewhere a German language book (a novel about Spartacus) that was printed in the USSR in 1939.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Zanza on November 24, 2021, 04:40:48 PM
Was  Catalonia ever really a separate country? It's not the same as Aragon I guess...

Ok, speaking half-seriously. I can get technical and argue that Spain was formally a PU until the XVIIIth century  :contract: so I would have stuff (some family antiques) made in Aragon (a PU itself, too...).

Regarding if Catalonia was ever a separate country, the Catalan Republic briefly existed in the 1640s, I have stuff from the XVIIth century (documents) but I don't think from those exact dates.  :P

The Larch

Maybe he means the short-lived (8 full seconds!) one from 2017.  :P

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on November 24, 2021, 04:54:56 PM

Maybe he means the short-lived (8 full seconds!) one from 2017.  :P

That was the joke, yeah  :P

The Brain

I have some souvenirs from my trip to the Soviet Union. Some stuff from the Tokugawa Shogunate, which I suppose probably counts as Japan. I generally don't own a lot of pre-17th century stuff, which would increase the likelihood.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

Somewhere I have a small picture from the US in the 1850s when it was still a democracy.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM