News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Phone scam: to laugh or to cry?

Started by viper37, November 24, 2021, 11:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I laughed at a scam phone call I received yesterday.  But I do wonder if people get hooked by that kind of scam, and thinking maybe some older or mentally challenged people get had by these scams makes me want to cry a bit.

So, I got a phone call while at work.  It says there is a problem with the delivery of my package.  I didn't look at who was calling me, and I just ordered something from Amazon.  First thought: why are they calling instead of emailing me?

Then it goes on: My package has been seized by Customs and borders services (official name: Canada Borders Services agency).  Police officers are on their way to arrest me.  So I started laughing.  Then it says press 1 to immediately speak with an agent from Customs and borders services to resolve my problem.

Obviously, I hung up.

But how many people get suckered by these phone scams?  Thinking maybe a member of their family did something wrong, they end up transferring huge amount of money to pay off the "agents".  Does anyone know how "good" these scammers are at getting their marks?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

The scam attempt wasn't nearly the worst thing about that phone call, according to some posters. :zipped:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Often scams are at first  deliberately stupid and obvious to anyone with a clue in order to eliminate these people early so the scammer only has to spend time on people who might complete.

That said one did manage to get my aunt once.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on November 24, 2021, 11:51:52 AM
The scam attempt wasn't nearly the worst thing about that phone call, according to some posters. :zipped:

Don't be antisocial AND a crybaby.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on November 24, 2021, 11:51:52 AM

CLEAR TEH AIR!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

can't clear now, busy. Call back later
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

i keep getting Chinese messages trying to scam me. played it for my mandarin speaking colleague and they said the message was pretending to be from the CRA about tax fraud.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

I annoyingly never get direct calls. Only this is HMRC press 1 to speak to an advisor robots. Im not wasting my credit <_<
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

I get tons of that exact scam phone call.

I pressed one once to see if I could string them along.  I said I got this ominous phone message and wanted to deal with it.  They asked me for my name.  I replied "don't you know my name?  You called me."

They just hung up.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on November 24, 2021, 05:54:36 PM

I pressed one once to see if I could string them along.  I said I got this ominous phone message and wanted to deal with it.  They asked me for my name.  I replied "don't you know my name?  You called me."

They just hung up.
What were you charged?
I hear part of how these scams work is pressing 1 putting you onto a very premium priced line.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on November 24, 2021, 12:05:00 PM
Often scams are at first  deliberately stupid and obvious to anyone with a clue in order to eliminate these people early so the scammer only has to spend time on people who might complete.

That said one did manage to get my aunt once.
One popular around here some years ago, was calling an elderly person and trying to pass as a grandson/granddaughter caught in a bad spot abroad and in need of some urgent money to get out of trouble.  Apparently, it was quite successful. :(

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 24, 2021, 05:54:36 PM

They just hung up.
You fail at being an undercover inspector :P

Eddie Teach

My provider helpfully marks numbers suspected of spamming/scamming so I don't bother answering.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?