News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Failed State Index 2009

Started by Syt, July 22, 2009, 10:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

All I know is that they are pissed that they are being lumped in with a disaster of a country like the US.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on July 22, 2009, 11:28:58 PM
Japan is moderate only?
Are they taking the demographic problems into account?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 23, 2009, 09:13:20 AM
And the Fund for Peace aren't foreign either:
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2009/06/22/2009_failed_states_index_faq_methodology

There is nothing more foreign than an organization like that :bleeding:  Sounds like a poorly disguised Cold War era eastern bloc propaganda organization.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

saskganesh

Quote from: Neil on July 23, 2009, 08:57:37 AM
Quote from: Berkut on July 23, 2009, 08:55:34 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 23, 2009, 08:53:01 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on July 23, 2009, 08:38:09 AM
we could also question "sustainable": Oman for example  has dwindling oil reserves, and oil is its main engine. doesn't sound too sustainable to me.
Depends on how far out you're looking.

Doesn't the same thing apply to the Scandi countries? I seem to recall that their welfare states are pretty dependent on oil income as well.
Norway certainly is.

yeah. but unlike , say Alberta, they invested most of their royalties. should be fine for a few centuries.
humans were created in their own image

saskganesh

Quote from: derspiess on July 23, 2009, 10:03:01 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 23, 2009, 09:13:20 AM
And the Fund for Peace aren't foreign either:
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2009/06/22/2009_failed_states_index_faq_methodology

There is nothing more foreign than an organization like that :bleeding:  Sounds like a poorly disguised Cold War era eastern bloc propaganda organization.

just based on the sound of their name? heck, your name sounds like you should be in a docket at Nuremberg.
humans were created in their own image

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 23, 2009, 09:30:09 AM
Japan is moderate only?

But they don't try to solve demographic problems by importing muslims, so Japan wins.

Neil

Quote from: saskganesh on July 23, 2009, 10:05:09 AM
yeah. but unlike , say Alberta, they invested most of their royalties. should be fine for a few centuries.
I wonder what they invested them in?

At any rate, the Trust Fund should ensure that Ethnic Alberta remains superior to all other provinces forever.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on July 23, 2009, 10:17:00 AM
But they don't try to solve demographic problems by importing muslims, so Japan wins.

I just don't get it sometimes.  Japan, as a culture, seems obsessed with youth and cuteness...yet they don't have any kids...weird.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on July 23, 2009, 11:22:29 AM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on July 23, 2009, 10:17:00 AM

I just don't get it sometimes.  Japan, as a culture, seems obsessed with youth and cuteness...yet they don't have any kids...weird.
Are they really any different than we are?

Zanza

Doesn't the same thing apply to the Scandi countries? I seem to recall that their welfare states are pretty dependent on oil income as well.
Only Norway even has oil. But they don't use it to finance their day-to-day government business but rather invest the windfall from the oil worldwide. They own like 0.5% of a lot of blue chip companies out there.

Berkut

Quote from: Zanza on July 23, 2009, 11:39:43 AM
Only Norway even has oil. But they don't use it to finance their day-to-day government business but rather invest the windfall from the oil worldwide. They own like 0.5% of a lot of blue chip companies out there.

That seems hard to believe. It is so sane and responsible. Are you sure this is a real life thing, and not just a story?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on July 23, 2009, 11:23:41 AM
Are they really any different than we are?

Yes, all the greatest heroes of our fiction aren't 16 and look 12.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 23, 2009, 09:30:09 AM
Japan is moderate only?
Why would they?  I believe their measure is the likelihood of internal conflict.  A very young population is more troublesome than a very old one.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: saskganesh on July 23, 2009, 10:10:44 AM
just based on the sound of their name? heck, your name sounds like you should be in a docket at Nuremberg.

Nah, they didn't try any NCOs there ;) :nerd:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall