And we're back!

Main Menu

Failed State Index 2009

Started by Syt, July 22, 2009, 10:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Berkut on July 23, 2009, 08:37:13 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 23, 2009, 08:34:34 AM
I cannot believe you latch on to this and ignore how we arbitrarily suspend and violate human rights according to them. :lol:

Shrugh. Like I said, I think we get the ratings we do on things like "human rights violations" because we don't distribute wealth in a satisfactory manner for those making lists like this. They are all tied up together. The particular rating that they massage to get the result they want isn't really all THAT interesting, except to illustrate how silly the entire thing is.
Actually, I think they also ding you on human rights for the death penalty.  Same for Japan.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

QuoteShrugh. Like I said, I think we get the ratings we do on things like "human rights violations" because we don't distribute wealth in a satisfactory manner for those making lists like this. They are all tied up together. The particular rating that they massage to get the result they want isn't really all THAT interesting, except to illustrate how silly the entire thing is.

I think it is them blowing shit like Guantanamo and what Neil said out of proportion, as foreigners tend to do.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: saskganesh on July 23, 2009, 08:38:09 AM
we could also question "sustainable": Oman for example  has dwindling oil reserves, and oil is its main engine. doesn't sound too sustainable to me.
Depends on how far out you're looking.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Berkut

Quote from: Neil on July 23, 2009, 08:53:01 AM
we could also question "sustainable": Oman for example  has dwindling oil reserves, and oil is its main engine. doesn't sound too sustainable to me.

Doesn't the same thing apply to the Scandi countries? I seem to recall that their welfare states are pretty dependent on oil income as well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Neil

Quote from: Berkut on July 23, 2009, 08:55:34 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 23, 2009, 08:53:01 AM

Doesn't the same thing apply to the Scandi countries? I seem to recall that their welfare states are pretty dependent on oil income as well.
Norway certainly is.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on July 22, 2009, 11:07:12 PM
How do you account for al-Shabaab then?
The lads are pirates.  I saw an interview with a few members of them and they said they were in it to buy a big house with a pool, get a wife and enough money to buy some guns and get some guards to protect it all.  If that's what al-Qaeda wanted they'd be easier to deal with.
Let's bomb Russia!

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on July 23, 2009, 08:52:58 AM
QuoteShrugh. Like I said, I think we get the ratings we do on things like "human rights violations" because we don't distribute wealth in a satisfactory manner for those making lists like this. They are all tied up together. The particular rating that they massage to get the result they want isn't really all THAT interesting, except to illustrate how silly the entire thing is.

I think it is them blowing shit like Guantanamo and what Neil said out of proportion, as foreigners tend to do.

Yeah, but WHY do they do that? There is a chicken and egg thing here, I suppose, but my point is simply that their ratings are pretty clearly designed to draw distinctions between countries where there isn't any real or practical distinction.

When it comes to how "failed" a state is, there is no real difference between the US and Norway, or England and Australia, and suggesting that there is is just distracting from the real message.

0 rows returned

Valmy

Well I do get rather tired of everybody saying the Skandinavian countries are the best in the universe.  I mean even Iceland is highly ranked and if our economy was in the shape theirs is we would ranked down there with Bolivia somewhere.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Berkut on July 23, 2009, 08:58:44 AM
When it comes to how "failed" a state is, there is no real difference between the US and Norway, or England and Australia, and suggesting that there is is just distracting from the real message.
Actually, states with smaller numbers of criminal blacks are generally less failed.

Sheilbh

It's not foreign.  I think it's the same thing as the Foreign Policy failed state meter which just has a bit more nuance (the US and Oman are still equal):
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2009/06/22/2009_failed_states_index_interactive_map_and_rankings
Let's bomb Russia!

Berkut

Shelf, those aren't seperate ratings, they are the same ratings.

0 rows returned

Sheilbh

And to put this into context here's the bottom (least failedest) 20 states.  It looks like more or less every global measure of something:
France
United States
Singapore
United Kingdom
Belgium
Portugal
Japan
Iceland
Canada
Luxembourg
Austria
Netherlands
Australia
New Zealand
Denmark
Ireland
Switzerland
Sweden
Finland
Norway

More amusingly Oman and several Latin American countries are ahead of Poland :lol: 
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on July 23, 2009, 09:17:33 AM
Shelf, those aren't seperate ratings, they are the same ratings.
That's what I said:
QuoteI think it's the same thing as the Foreign Policy failed state meter which just has a bit more nuance (the US and Oman are still equal):
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Do any of you know anything about Oman? Apart from me, has any of you actually been there? Or know anything apart from what you can find on Wikipeidia and the CIA world fact book?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.