News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

French Navy sees action!

Started by Berkut, November 12, 2021, 06:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2021/11/sailboat-collides-with-french-aircraft-carrier-charles-de-gaulle/

OK, so how in the hell do you not notice a freaking *aircraft carrier*????

The sailboat was rather lucky to only get de-masted.

I thought this bit at the end of the article was interesting:
QuoteFor the record, the aircraft carrier is set take part next week in the advanced exercise "POLARIS": It will place the Charles de Gaulle and French carrier strike group in a high-intensity combat preparation scenario. The large scale exercise will involve the French Army and French Air Force, as well as nearly 50% of the first rank (front line) surface combatants of the French Navy and some foreign ships. A French Navy spokesperson confirmed to Naval News that POLARIS will be the largest exercise in the history of the French Navy.

That cannot really be the largest exercise in the history of the French Navy, can it???
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: The Brain on November 12, 2021, 07:45:04 PM
Well, largest measured how?

Gross tonnage perhaps? Most aircraft involved?

0 rows returned

Josquius

I guess historically training exercises like this weren't really done?
So yeah. 300 years ago they amassed more ships together but not for a training exercise.
██████
██████
██████

HisMajestyBOB

Number of ships relative to the active fleet? It says 50% will take part.
Seems like a strong reaction to Polish naval aggression, but the Poles did send their flagship.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Sheilbh

Yeah 50 % of surface fleet seems pretty massive.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

It's a multi-service exercise, so might not be the largest in purely naval terms.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

When my dad was in the Navy his ship collided with the Clemenceau while on joint exercises in the North Atlantic. :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on November 13, 2021, 08:19:59 AM
When my dad was in the Navy his ship collided with the Clemenceau while on joint exercises in the North Atlantic. :blush:

Having experienced the issues of trying to screen the carrier when everyone was in the same navy with the same language and procedures, I know I would hate to try to screen a carrier from another navy.  Carriers maneuver to minimize the difficulty experienced by their pilots, not to minimize the difficulties  experienced by their screen.  Plus, they are run by aviators who don't understand the importance of communicating with their screen.  That means lots of screening ship OODs wondering what the fuck the carrier is doing now.  With foreign ships it would be a nightmare.  That's why I have always been impressed with NATO and Pacific ally ships that work so well with US carriers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on November 13, 2021, 09:38:01 AM
Quote from: Caliga on November 13, 2021, 08:19:59 AM

Having experienced the issues of trying to screen the carrier when everyone was in the same navy with the same language and procedures, I know I would hate to try to screen a carrier from another navy.  Carriers maneuver to minimize the difficulty experienced by their pilots, not to minimize the difficulties  experienced by their screen.  Plus, they are run by aviators who don't understand the importance of communicating with their screen.  That means lots of screening ship OODs wondering what the fuck the carrier is doing now.  With foreign ships it would be a nightmare.  That's why I have always been impressed with NATO and Pacific ally ships that work so well with US carriers.

There are like 4000 crew on a carrier. Surely there can be a couple of them whose only job is to coordinate and inform the screen what the CV is doing???

0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on November 13, 2021, 10:01:34 AM
There are like 4000 crew on a carrier. Surely there can be a couple of them whose only job is to coordinate and inform the screen what the CV is doing???

There are, but in the USN they are all aviators and they don't know what it is that the screen needs to know.  Or they communicate but don't understand what their signals actually mean.  The Kennedy/Belknap collision occurred because the aviators on the birdfarm didn't understand that, by having two "execute to follow" signals out there (meaning, "get ready to do this and I will tell you when to do it"), they were ordering both to be executed when they signaled "execute."  Rotating the screen and changing course by ninety degrees at the same time (especially at night) puts the screening ships in a real bind - especially when the carrier itself does NOT execute the ordered turn.

Bayraktar!

Caliga

My dad served on the USS Nantahala, which was a fleet oiler.  I can't remember if she was trying to refuel the Clemenceau or not when the collision happened.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on November 14, 2021, 02:22:40 PM
My dad served on the USS Nantahala, which was a fleet oiler.  I can't remember if she was trying to refuel the Clemenceau or not when the collision happened.

The tragic waiter-President collision of 1919.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on November 14, 2021, 02:22:40 PM

Ah, that's a bit different.  UNREPs see bumping a fair few times.  The venturi effect of the two ships close aboard tries to pull them together.  I hated conning alongside the oiler.  You could only change course or speed very slightly to avoid colliding, which meant that you had to see problems before they arose and issue the helm orders in advance so you had time for them to take effect when you needed them.

Bayraktar!

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.