Architect: Dystopian Dorm Design Is Dangerous Social & Psychological Experiment

Started by jimmy olsen, October 30, 2021, 10:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: grumbler on November 01, 2021, 09:51:23 AM
The ratio of one shower and one shitter per eight students may be close to what traditional dorms have, but scheduling is less flexible when it's one shower for eight than when it is four showers for thirty-two.

Yeah, I actually was a little skeptical on the number of shower stalls as well, the number of toilets likely is fine. But showers tend to be needed all at once in the morning, and a lot of dorms I've seen instead of the actual private bathroom setup here, is you'll have a bathroom with like 3 toilet stalls and 3 shower stalls that's shared between a "pod" of rooms, the ratio on toilets/students being probably about the same as what Munger is doing, but with more shower stalls. Also the way these bathrooms are designed someone can't use the toilet and the shower at the same time without the unfortunate experience of basically having someone shitting in the room right outside the shower stall, which is a little third world for a communal bathroom.

Eddie Teach

When I was in a dorm we had one bathroom for 4 people, I shudder at the idea of one for 8.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

It looks to me like one of the "bathrooms" is a shower room and the other a shitter room.  Freshman classes are often the early ones, so the shower schedule is going to be difficult.  If both rooms are shower+shitter, then things get a lot easier.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

So far the biggest problem is the one that Jake pointed out.  Fire Hazard.  That's a deal breaker.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-the-tuesday-edition-1.6234150/billionaire-defends-windowless-dorm-rooms-for-california-students-1.6234462^

QuoteBillionaire defends windowless dorm rooms for California students

Charles Munger says artificial windows are, in some ways, 'actually better' than the real deal

Billionaire Charles Munger is standing by his concept for a massive California dormitory that's been compared to a prison for students.

Munger is the vice-chair of the multinational conglomerate holding company Berkshire Hathaway. In 2016, he vowed to donate $200 million US to the University of California, Santa Barbara, to build a new student housing project.

There was just one stipulation. The university must accept Munger's approved design, or he'd pull the funding.

That design for Munger Hall was unveiled last month. It proposes an 11-storey, 1.68-million-square-foot building housing 4,500 students, 94 per cent of whom would live in single-occupancy, windowless dorm rooms.

L.A. Times columnist Carolina A. Miranda called it dystopian. Dennis McFadden, a veteran California architect, quit the university's design review committee over the proposed building, calling it "unsupportable from my perspective as an architect, a parent and a human being," the Santa Barbara Independent reports.

In an interview with As It Happens host Carol Off, Munger dismissed McFadden's criticisms as "crazy suppositions by an ignorant man." Here is an excerpt from that conversation.

What would you say to [Denis McFadden] if you had the chance?

Well, if he knew more about it, he would have had more correct conclusions.

What else does he have to know, in your view?

The reason this building is the way it is, is because there are enormous advantages in having a lot of undergraduates conveniently near one another and conveniently near everything else they like to be near.

The logical way to do that is to make a building in a big footprint and devote the top floor of it — which is a penthouse floor normally given to rich people, you know, for condos — and give that to the students as their common space, and to put a certain amount of academic space into that gigantic top floor with all the light and air and so forth.

And so it's just that it was so novel, he's never seen that done, and he doesn't like it when it's different from what he's used to.

Well, I think what he is objecting to, and he's not alone in that, is that, as you say, this is a place where a lot of students can live — 4,500 will live in 11 floors, and almost every student would be in a windowless room.

No, that's not true. Every student is in a house and suite system, and the house has lots of windows and a big common living space and dining space and kitchen space and so on. And so they're not living in windowless space.

But their bedrooms ... are windowless.

The bedrooms have artificial windows instead of real ones, but they've got perfect ventilation.

What's an artificial window?

If you go on a Disney cruise ship and pay $20,000 a week for a fancy stateroom, it uses an artificial window instead of a real one.

And that's what we do in these what he calls "windowless bedrooms."

When you look at them, the way they're curtained and so forth, you can't tell if they're artificial by looking at them, and they admit the exact spectrum of real sunlight.

That's a lot to expect of an artificial window, but they do something else that a real-world window can't do it all.

You can turn a knob and change the sunlight to brighten it up or down. So if you're a romantic, you can tamp it down. If you want more bright light and so forth, you can turn the sunlight up just by twisting a knob.

In many respects, these things are actually better than real windows.

But a window doesn't just give you light; it gives you a view. It lets you see the world.

Obviously, it would be better if every student could have a penthouse with perfect views in all four directions. But we don't do that because we can't get enough students to live conveniently close together.

This building has been criticized [by McFadden in his resignation letter] as a "social and psychological experiment with an unknown impact in the lives and personal developments" of these young people.

Well, he's just pulling that out of the air. Buildings actually exist with no windows at all in Michigan and people are living in them fine.

But there's a whole bunch of social science research that shows that windowless designs, especially when you're in them for long periods of time, can be quite detrimental to your mental health. Did you look at those?

We look at actual buildings. We have built these buildings. The [Munger Graduate Residence Hall] in Michigan has no windows. It works fine. But once you put the artificial window in, it's a huge improvement.

[On] a Disney cruise ship, you know, half the staterooms are below the waterline or on the wrong side of the aisle. They rely on artificial windows instead of real ones.

Come on, you're only there for a short time.... But a student is in the dorm for ... sometimes eight or nine months.

What the students hate most of all — as I know; we had eight children — what they really hate is sharing a bedroom with an unrelated stranger. And in this project, every single student gets his own private sleeping area. That's unheard of in undergraduate. That's a huge benefit, and it's one that means a great deal to the students.

This windowless thing is just a bunch of crazy suppositions by an ignorant man.

You're not an architect, though, are you?

Well, no, but I've been building buildings all my life, and I've hired a lot of the very eminent architects for over 70 years.

The best buildings, in my opinion, are always created when an intelligent owner is working with an intelligent architect. And that's what's happened here. This is not just my design. This is a design with a lot of inputs from others.

One of your inputs was $200 million [US] to fund the building of this dorm. And is it true that a caveat ... was that you were to design it?

It is true that I wanted to approve it. But there's a lot of things in this design that I didn't create. The design was created collaboratively.

It was your idea to have the rooms with these fake windows, right?

Yes, absolutely.

And it's true that you would not have given the money if you weren't allowed to make this contribution, right?

If they'd wanted a different kind of a building, I would not have given the money; that's correct.

Did you spend a year in a windowless room as a student?

I came pretty close because I slept on a sleeping porch, which had a lot of beds in it, when I was in a fraternity.

Did you have windows then?

Yeah, there were a few windows.

Don't you think that matters?

Well, everybody would prefer to have real windows if it were feasible. But it's a game of trade-offs, architecture.

If the university wants to make substantial changes to your design, will you withdraw your money?

The answer to that is, of course, I would.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on November 03, 2021, 07:23:26 AM

QuoteWhat the students hate most of all — as I know; we had eight children — what they really hate is sharing a bedroom with an unrelated stranger.

I'm wondering if this is true at all.  I had three different roommates in college and all three became lifetime friends.   Having a roommate was one of the rites of passage for college when I went.

I'm kinda curious about the experiences of others here with college and roommates.  Would you have preferred to have half the room but no roommate?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

I know that "college wives" is a thing, but in other cases it seems weird to be an adult sharing a bedroom with another random adult.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on November 03, 2021, 08:17:17 AM
I know that "college wives" is a thing, but in other cases it seems weird to be an adult sharing a bedroom with another random adult.

Spoken like a true single occupancy Scandinavia house/flat owner.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on November 03, 2021, 08:40:05 AM
Quote from: The Brain on November 03, 2021, 08:17:17 AM

Spoken like a true single occupancy Scandinavia house/flat owner.  :P

I did my sharing in the army, thank you very much.

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on November 03, 2021, 08:06:59 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 03, 2021, 07:23:26 AM

QuoteWhat the students hate most of all — as I know; we had eight children — what they really hate is sharing a bedroom with an unrelated stranger.

I'm wondering if this is true at all.  I had three different roommates in college and all three became lifetime friends.   Having a roommate was one of the rites of passage for college when I went.

I'm kinda curious about the experiences of others here with college and roommates.  Would you have preferred to have half the room but no roommate?

It seems like the idea here is to be able to keep that sense of the "roomate" in that you still have a bunch of people who are sharing a common living area, they just don't share the actual sleeping area.

I kind of get what they are trying to go for here, and why they are saying it isn't that important that the individual sleeping rooms are minimalistic and lacking windows. The idea is, I think, that all the stuff you actually want to do in your dorm *other then sleeping* is still there, and even better. But everyone gets this minimal space for actual sleeping that is private and their own.

I don't know if this is better then a traditional dorm or not. Seems pretty straightforward to find out though - give it a try and see what people think.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sheilbh

An architect complaining about someone forcing social experiments on members of the public based on their views of ideal lifestyles and social organisation...Erm....
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Okay, so the As It Happens interview kind of made sense to me.  'Okay, so you don't get a window - but you do get an individual bedroom'.

I never lived in a dorm room.  But I did spend one school year in a fraternity house.  It was a basement room with a basement window.  If given the choice I'd have rather given up my tiny window in a heartbeat rather than have a second person sleep in the same room.  I still managed to be good friends with the other brothers living in the house even without sleeping in the same room.

I did spend one week in a dorm room at Western University in London, Ontario.  I went there for Ontario's Crown School.  It did manage to have both individual rooms and windows though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

How about just doing as is done in most of the world and not having shared bedrooms?
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 03, 2021, 09:55:22 AM
An architect complaining about someone forcing social experiments on members of the public based on their views of ideal lifestyles and social organisation...Erm....

^_^

PDH

Rooms, showers, all that aside...I think Grumbler brought up a very good point early on:

This building doesn't fit in to a campus that has a style that makes it stand out.  UCSB is a great location, with what has always seemed a sound idea of aesthetics.

As much as it pains me, the architectural mish mash of UC Santa Cruz could stand a big blob of a building here far better than UCSB.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM