Architect: Dystopian Dorm Design Is Dangerous Social & Psychological Experiment

Started by jimmy olsen, October 30, 2021, 10:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 31, 2021, 11:33:04 AM
That looks a lot like my Dwarf Fortress layouts.
Incidentally, Munger and I have the exact same amount of professional architecture experience.

No you have more, I very much doubt he's played dwarf fortress.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: mongers on October 31, 2021, 12:05:10 PM
Incidentally, Munger and I have the exact same amount of professional architecture experience.

It's clear he hasn't. There are no lava moats or trap lined corridors.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

PDH

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 31, 2021, 12:22:20 PM

Though there will be solitary people locked in rooms crying and distraught.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 31, 2021, 12:22:20 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 31, 2021, 12:05:10 PM

How do you know the plans that have to be explicitly followed to the letter didn't say to keep that stuff secret?
They lose their effectiveness if everyone knows where they are afterall.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on October 31, 2021, 04:55:18 AM
So they get the money but they have to build it exactly as designed by a guy with no experience designing buildings....

apparently, he built a few like these all over the US.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on October 31, 2021, 11:15:58 AM
I'm not opposed to tiny rooms and living quarters in principle, but to me this sounds and looks on the face of it like it has a very high potential for going wrong.

Munger apparently has no architectural experience, yet he's designing a building, the specs which must be adhered to exactly. Architecture is a fairly complex field, and in all my experience putting enthusiastic dilettantes in charge of designing complex systems almost inevitably leads to severely suboptimal outcomes. Or did Munger work with actual experts and just put his name on the design as a vanity project?

Architecture is closer to art than science, most of the time.
Engineering is important.  Architecture is all about how the building looks.  Well, not all, there are a few building code requirements to be observed, but still, the majority of the stuff is handled by structural and mechanical engineers.

From what I've read of the projects, he does work with architects, but they must respect his design philosophy.

mongers

Quote from: viper37 on October 31, 2021, 07:01:17 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 31, 2021, 11:15:58 AM
I'm not opposed to tiny rooms and living quarters in principle, but to me this sounds and looks on the face of it like it has a very high potential for going wrong.

Munger apparently has no architectural experience, yet he's designing a building, the specs which must be adhered to exactly. Architecture is a fairly complex field, and in all my experience putting enthusiastic dilettantes in charge of designing complex systems almost inevitably leads to severely suboptimal outcomes. Or did Munger work with actual experts and just put his name on the design as a vanity project?

Architecture is closer to art than science, most of the time.
Engineering is important.  Architecture is all about how the building looks.  Well, not all, there are a few building code requirements to be observed, but still, the majority of the stuff is handled by structural and mechanical engineers.

From what I've read of the projects, he does work with architects, but they must respect his design philosophy.

:hmm:

Someone tried that approach before, iirc it didn't turn out too well.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on October 31, 2021, 06:57:49 PM
Quote from: Tyr on October 31, 2021, 04:55:18 AM
So they get the money but they have to build it exactly as designed by a guy with no experience designing buildings....

apparently, he built a few like these all over the US.

None of the others have anywhere near this size or density.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

OttoVonBismarck

I'd incidentally been reading about this a few days ago. To clear a few things up:

- As far as I can tell Munger is not doing the real architecture work himself, he is a dilettante, but understands that he is, so he's like coming up with the rough ideas but he has a real architect doing the actual work of drafting the plans and other design elements that he just wouldn't know how to do without any architectural training. He actually mentioned in one of his interviews that "if an architect doesn't like doing it my way, I just find a new architect that will." Which obviously suggests some "troubles" here, but it isn't AFAIK the case that he's drafting these designs with his own hand, he basically has the idea of a hyper dense dorm with single occupant bedrooms and maximized floor space, but real architects are doing the work of making the plans.

- The student to bathroom ratio isn't at all unusual in dorms I've seen.

- Munger said he was inspired to do this because lots of his family members who went through college complained about having to share a dorm room (often / usually with someone the university assigns as a randomized roommate), and he views this as a solution to both that, and the needs of the specific university to fit lots of people into a relatively small geographic area

I'm actually less concerned about the natural light issue than most, and am more concerned about the fact that there's only two entrances/exits. I have to seriously question if there's fire code / safety issues there.

The natural light issue I think is a bit overblown if you consider that these are very small dorm rooms that I think the intention is these kids use to sleep in and maybe study sometimes, but they'll be walking around campus every single day going to / from class, and there's plenty of hang out and communal areas that would have natural light. Lots of people sleep in rooms that don't have direct access to natural light, so I think it's really all about the context of how the students are living. If they are spending 90% of their time in those rooms it could be a problem, but I think that's atypical for most college students.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on October 31, 2021, 10:19:42 AM
I will fall back on the basic idea that "Hey, why not try something different"? response.

Sure.

Along those lines, while Berkshire Hathaway has a fine track record, I feel the formula is getting a little tired.  So my idea is put Rem Koolhaas in charge of reviewing and approving all investment proposals.  Does Koolhaas any background or experience in investment management?  Not that I know of but that's the whole point isn't it - find a brilliant guy who is a complete amateur and see if he can do better.  If Charlie Munger can design buildings, I have no doubt that Koolhaas can figure out how to get alpha returns.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

As Otto pointed out, Charlie Munger isn't designing buildings, he's using his money to prepare designs and entice schools into building them.  There's a Munger graduate residence hall at Michigan, somewhat similar to this concept, except much smaller and the "pods" all ended at a common room with windows.  Plus, each room had its own bathroom.

The ratio of one shower and one shitter per eight students may be close to what traditional dorms have, but scheduling is less flexible when it's one shower for eight than when it is four showers for thirty-two.

Btw, UCSB is the most attractive campus in the world, of those I've seen, and this anthill doesn't seem to fit the UCSB style at all.  I get that real estate in Santa Barbara is expensive, but $1.5 billion is a lot of money.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 01, 2021, 09:15:36 AM
He actually mentioned in one of his interviews that "if an architect doesn't like doing it my way, I just find a new architect that will."

He may not be preparing the architectural plans but he is providing the overall design, with the architect's task being to implement his scheme.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson