News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What would you do for your PhD?

Started by Josquius, September 02, 2021, 03:58:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Completely theoretically asking here. It matters not whether you actually have any interest in doing a PhD or think it at all remotely likely you'd be ever accepted to do this PhD....

But....assuming you were going to go off to university to do a PhD.
What would be your topic?

Is there an area of your field that really fascinates you and you think would be really interesting to study in depth for a few years? Perhaps something where you think you could do useful work, perhaps something ridiculous that it'd be nice to academically wank over for a spell. What would it be?
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Film studies, for sure. I actually debated it a couple times while at college.

My thesis would be something about psychological effects of montage and composition. That topic has always fascinated me.

The Brain

I don't know. I could have done nuclear physics but decided to get a "real job" instead, and I have never regretted this. History interests me, but I don't think a university would be at a level I want.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

It'd be in English - because that's what I studied.

I think it would be on something to do with the literary (or possibly just poetic) response to HIV/AIDS. I did a unit on elegy in undergrad which I loved and did very well in, especially writing about Thom Gunn's poetry. So Thom Gunn would be a big part of it with some special guests.

Edit: Or something on the interaction between literary modernists and the visual arts. I really wanted to do my undergrad dissertation on Ezra Pound and Henri Gaudier-Brzeska. There was often a unit available on ekphrasis (description of a piece of visual art as a literary device - Homer on the shield of Achilles, Byron on the dying Gaul etc). But unfortunately the professor who did that and I'd want as a supervisor was on research leave :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I thought something combining behavioral economics, pyschology, and marketing would be cool.  But I'm too much of a dilettante for the grind of a  PhD.

Eddie Teach

Maybe something about apocalyptic fiction throughout history.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

Apocalyptic fiction would be cool, but we're kind of already living in it.

I'd do something silly to take my mind off the rotting planet.  Like the evolution of swords
PDH!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Something within geology, I've always had an interested but never did anything about it after getting a just an O-level in it at school. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Grey Fox

I did not go to University but my professional life is about Machine vision. So, I guess something in that field.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Gups

I'd like to do a PHD when I retire. The Abercrombie plan would be my subject of choice. It was a hugely ambitous  plan for the complete redesign of London characterised by ring roads (the South Circular and the Westway are amongst the legacies), a complete disregard for heritage (Covent Garden and many historic buildings would have been demolished) and a utopian belief in the ability or architecture and town planning to solve all of society's ills. It would have made Robert Moses' redevelopment of NYC look conservative.

The Larch

Quote from: Gups on September 02, 2021, 07:32:02 AM
I'd like to do a PHD when I retire. The Abercrombie plan would be my subject of choice. It was a hugely ambitous  plan for the complete redesign of London characterised by ring roads (the South Circular and the Westway are amongst the legacies), a complete disregard for heritage (Covent Garden and many historic buildings would have been demolished) and a utopian belief in the ability or architecture and town planning to solve all of society's ills. It would have made Robert Moses' redevelopment of NYC look conservative.

I loved Jay Foreman's "Unfinished London" episode on London's ring roads. In case anyone wants to check it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUEHWhO_HdY

Maladict

Late Antiquity. I almost did, but I don't regret choosing not to seeing how my peers who did go on have struggled and still struggle.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Gups on September 02, 2021, 07:32:02 AM

I have taught so-called "mature students" and they are generally a blast to work with.
Que le grand cric me croque !