So Lebanon's having some rough times (4M threatened by water shortages)

Started by Syt, August 22, 2021, 12:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/unicef-warns-millions-lebanese-face-water-shortages-2021-08-21/

QuoteUNICEF warns millions of Lebanese face water shortages

BEIRUT, Aug 21 (Reuters) - More than 4 million people in Lebanon could face a critical shortage of water or be cut off completely in the coming days, UNICEF warned, due to a severe fuel crisis.

Lebanon, with a population of 6 million, is at a low point in a two-year financial meltdown, with a lack of fuel oil and gasoline meaning extensive blackouts and long lines at the few gas stations still operating.

"Vital facilities such as hospitals and health centres have been without access to safe water due to electricity shortages, putting lives at risk," UNICEF Executive Director Henrietta Fore said in a statement.

"If four million people are forced to resort to unsafe and costly sources of water, public health and hygiene will be compromised, and Lebanon could see an increase in waterborne diseases, in addition to the surge in COVID-19 cases," she said, urging the formation of a new government to tackle the crisis.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

I saw this last month, doesn't seem to be any light on the horizon for them.

The port explosion really put them on their knees.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Read this morning that since June the price of fuel has tripled.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on August 23, 2021, 02:42:11 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 23, 2021, 12:42:58 AM
A harbinger of the water wars.
I have read theories the Syrian mess started up for the same reason :ph34r:

It's no secret that one of the causes behind the Syrian Civil War was a massive multi-year drought that greatly increased food prices in the country and caused a mass migration of rural families to the cities.

Habbaku

Have sudden increases in food prices led to revolutions in the past? Nothing to worry about, surely?  :frog:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

CNN had an article about increasing water scarcity in the region. It doesn't paint a pretty picture.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/22/middleeast/middle-east-climate-water-shortage-iran-urmia-intl/index.html

WaPo, too:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/aid-groups-millions-in-syria-iraq-losing-access-to-water/2021/08/23/b9b7bf16-03f4-11ec-b3c4-c462b1edcfc8_story.html

Then again, the Colorado is struggling, too:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/08/16/colorado-river-water-cuts-drought/

QuoteFirst-ever water shortage declared on the Colorado River, triggering water cuts for some states in the West
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

So the initial article made it sound like this was a fuel shortage problem but now it looks like a general water shortage. I mean what is to be done? I mean there is plenty that a well functioning country might do, at considerable effort and expense, but that is not the situation in these countries. I am just at a loss as to what sort of action we should be taking here to prevent this disaster beyond just shipping in more fuel for electricity...and even that is unlikely to happen I suppose.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Not sure there's much we can do. I expect much of the Middle East will become quite difficult to live in within a few decades. There'll probably an exodus at some point. The rich ones can buy their passage, and the others ... well, we'll see, I suppose.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2021, 11:45:03 AM
So the initial article made it sound like this was a fuel shortage problem but now it looks like a general water shortage. I mean what is to be done?

Money plus dry climate plus not so much tree cover + access to sea = solar powered desal plants.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

HVC

Quote from: The Brain on August 23, 2021, 11:55:19 AM
What's the price of water on the world market?

Hopefully doesn't get too high, don't want to get invaded for our sweet sweet Canadian water.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on August 23, 2021, 11:55:19 AM
What's the price of water on the world market?

What are California water futures trading for? https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-06/water-futures-to-start-trading-amid-growing-fears-of-scarcity

https://www.cmegroup.com/trading/equity-index/us-index/nasdaq-veles-california-water-futures.html#

QuoteA new derivative solution to hedge water price exposure

The Nasdaq Veles California Water Index futures can help you manage the price risk associated with the scarcity of water in the largest water market in the US.

https://www.nasdaq.com/solutions/nasdaq-veles-water-index
—Stephen Jay Gould