Started by Josephus, August 15, 2021, 10:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 08, 2021, 11:48:51 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 08, 2021, 11:46:07 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 08, 2021, 11:33:00 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 08, 2021, 11:09:39 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 08, 2021, 09:09:57 AM
Don't make the same mistakes our friends in the RoC keep doing & expect the federal government to fix things that are in the provincial sphere. We elect strong provincial governments for a reason.

This seems to be a narrative that pops up a lot.  I can only assume it is because people in Quebec don't get much news about what other provincial governments are doing - particularly in BC.

From another forum I frequent where there I am on the right side of issues. It is a constant barrage of progressive people from Alberta, BC & Ontario complaining that the federal government need to fix things that are provincial issues. It's true, I have no idea what the BC NDP does or doesn't do but I'm guessing those people do & that is what they complain about so much.

A lot of logic leaps there my friend.

#internet

:D

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 08, 2021, 12:29:50 PM
None of these things are really tied to the "Fuck Trudeau" crowd. The "Fuck Trudeau" crowd is people who have merged their conservative identity with a figure of hatred, egged on by conservative trash radio.

Frankly if someone can't get a job during this period of labour shortages, that is not Trudeau's fault.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2021, 12:13:26 PM
Quote from: Josephus on September 08, 2021, 11:33:16 AM
My rent is high. Fuck Trudeau. Gas prices are high. Fuck Trudeau. My Internet is slow. Fuck Trudeau. I can't find a job. Fuck Trudeau. I didn't get into university. Fuck Trudeau.

But JT isn't the new guy any more - he's a 6 year incumbent.  He gets to wear that stuff.  His attempts to keep blaming Harper are ringing hollow.

"My rent is high" - housing prices is a real and valid issue in this campaign.  He's had 6 years to do something about it and hasn't.

"Gas prices are high" - Trudeau killed the Energy East pipeline which would have brought in cheaper oil and gas from western Canada.  Also carbon tax.

"My internet is slow" - okay maybe not slow, but he DID promise in the past to lower our cell phone bills.  Which hasn't happened.

"I can't find a job" - yes we're coming out of the global Covid-19 pandemic, but it's fair to grade Trudeau on how he's handled the economy.

"I didn't get into university" - maybe not get into, but last time around he did promise to make education more affordable.  Which hasn't happened.

1 federal issue, 1 that could be shared, the others are provincial issues.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 08, 2021, 12:45:57 PM
My rent is high. Fuck Trudeau. Gas prices are high. Fuck Trudeau. My Internet is slow. Fuck Trudeau. I can't find a job. Fuck Trudeau. I didn't get into university. Fuck Trudeau.

But JT isn't the new guy any more - he's a 6 year incumbent.  He gets to wear that stuff.  His attempts to keep blaming Harper are ringing hollow.

"My rent is high" - housing prices is a real and valid issue in this campaign.  He's had 6 years to do something about it and hasn't.

"Gas prices are high" - Trudeau killed the Energy East pipeline which would have brought in cheaper oil and gas from western Canada.  Also carbon tax.

"My internet is slow" - okay maybe not slow, but he DID promise in the past to lower our cell phone bills.  Which hasn't happened.

"I can't find a job" - yes we're coming out of the global Covid-19 pandemic, but it's fair to grade Trudeau on how he's handled the economy.

"I didn't get into university" - maybe not get into, but last time around he did promise to make education more affordable.  Which hasn't happened.

Telecoms are definitely a federal-only issue.

Pipelines are definitely a federal issue.  The economy, while provinces have an impact, is more dependent on the federal government (the feds have some power over monetary policy, trade, taxation).

All the others have some levels of federal impact (Housing - CMHC, university - federal student loan programs).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Hey if Quebec wants to give up all of its Tri-Council funding for its research universities, BC universities would be happy to take it. But I suspect the profs in Quebec would have a thing or two to say about that.  ;)

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2021, 12:57:00 PM

Telecom is interesting because there are lower price plans available & the average low tier price has actually gone down.

Customers are simply not picking those plans and the companies are not marketing them either.

So, the Liberal government can claim to have lowered prices while not having fixed anything.

A very Liberal thing to do.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 08, 2021, 01:14:32 PM

Hey if Quebec wants to give up all of its Tri-Council funding for its research universities, BC universities would be happy to take it. But I suspect the profs in Quebec would have a thing or two to say about that.  ;)

No. Give us the money & ask no questions. Such is the way of Quebec.

Josephus

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 08, 2021, 12:29:50 PM
None of these things are really tied to the "Fuck Trudeau" crowd. The "Fuck Trudeau" crowd is people who have merged their conservative identity with a figure of hatred, egged on by conservative trash radio.

Who will then go on to blame Trudeau for their misfortunes. Including all the above mentioned stuff. Trip on a pothole? It's because Trudeau isn't transferring enough money to the cities. Etc. ETc.

I'm not a Trudeau apologist. CC makes some valid points above, but Trudeau is the target of unjustified attacks. Do you think the people throwing gravel at him have any clue what TMX is? That they give a shit about the Indigenous? You're right though a lot of the crowd there are the trash radio, tabloid reading type. And those are whom I mean by my epithet stupid.

Funny thing is, I'm not even voting Liberal  :P

edit: for instance: On Facebook I belong to a local community group. And anytime someone writes in something like "be careful there's been a string of break-ins on XX Streeet, someone, inevitably pipes in "Crime has gone up so much since Trudeau came to power." That's who I mean.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 08, 2021, 01:19:30 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2021, 12:57:00 PM

Telecom is interesting because there are lower price plans available & the average low tier price has actually gone down.

Customers are simply not picking those plans and the companies are not marketing them either.

So, the Liberal government can claim to have lowered prices while not having fixed anything.

A very Liberal thing to do.

Yeah I just went through that with my german exchange student.  If you have your own phone you can get ridiculously cheap plans - like $15 / month.  But they have no data.  Because he's a teenager and it's 2021 he wants data.  So instead he's playing I think $45 / month to get a somewhat reasonable amount of data.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on September 07, 2021, 10:57:43 PM
To be Fair and Balanced (tm), Valmy.

Well actually I was being petty and juvenile.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Barrister

The Green Party of Canada is just not a serious political party.

They released their platform today (although Paul did not have a press conference and did not answer questions).  In it they promise:

-end all fossil fuel extraction
-bas the sale of internal combustion passenger vehicles by 2030
-ensure 100% of our electricity comes from renewable sources by 2030

beyond the environment they promise:
-universal pharmacare
-universal dental care
-free university
-affordable child care
-universal long-term care
-guaranteed minimum income

Why not promise everyone a puppy while you're at it?  I mean I get that the Green Party is not seriously running to form the next government, but instead to help push the next government towards a certain direction, but shouldn't their platform at least give a wink and a nod towards being realistic?

https://www.greenparty.ca/sites/default/files/platform_2021_en_web_-_20210907.pdf

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/annamie-paul-green-party-platform-1.6167167

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2021, 03:29:07 PM
The Green Party of Canada is just not a serious political party.

They released their platform today (although Paul did not have a press conference and did not answer questions).  In it they promise:

-end all fossil fuel extraction
-bas the sale of internal combustion passenger vehicles by 2030
-ensure 100% of our electricity comes from renewable sources by 2030

beyond the environment they promise:
-universal pharmacare
-universal dental care
-free university
-affordable child care
-universal long-term care
-guaranteed minimum income

Why not promise everyone a puppy while you're at it?

Or a rice cooker, damn it.

Although free university, free dental care, free pharma shouldn't be pipe dreams. Most decent countries in Europe have that stuff.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on September 08, 2021, 04:16:59 PM

Or a rice cooker, damn it.

Although free university, free dental care, free pharma shouldn't be pipe dreams. Most decent countries in Europe have that stuff.

It's what they're promising it all at once - all while you're shutting down 17% of your entire economy.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on September 07, 2021, 09:28:45 PM
I mean to be fair Trudeau has a very punchable face...I mean not to Ted Cruz levels but he has it bad.
Oh yes. He looks extraordinarily smug :lol:

QuoteThe Green Party of Canada is just not a serious political party.

They released their platform today (although Paul did not have a press conference and did not answer questions).
:lol: I have a friend who's very involved in the Green Party here and she's said their manifesto is a disaster waiting to happen if they ever poll well enough to get serious media attention.

Basically their approach is a "living manifesto" so policies are voted on at conference and added to the manifesto. Then they just stay in the manifesto unless they're expressly voted out. So they have some policies (for example around population control :ph34r:) that date to the 1970s, but no-one's noticed or got rid of them.

In part it's something that makes them distinctive, but it may be something they have to change.

QuoteAlthough free university, free dental care, free pharma shouldn't be pipe dreams. Most decent countries in Europe have that stuff.
On free university, worth noting those countries have about half the % of graduates as Canada does. I think there's probably a bit of a trade off there (one we face in the UK and my preference - which has shifted - would be fewer graduates but free).
Let's bomb Russia!